Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerdream View Post
I don't need your help, seriously. This is my home, I like my home, I don't want to leave where everything I have established is located. I can't afford an attorney. Panhandling is rough.

How do you know what I pay in rent? I think you should not post on this thread anymore.

What you've been living in a basement paying top dollar? I dont think so.

And I will post where ever I want.

Since you say you cannot afford an attorney, There is a very low cost legal service that I have heard of called The Legal Grind. They have a location in Santa Monica.

Beverly hills has a relocation fee charged to landlords for demolition and unit conversion. Under those circumstances they pay the monthly rent times the years you lived in the unit, with a $15,000 cap. The question is do you qualify for that relocation fee given you rented an illegal unit. (probably knowingly)

Again, your lack of response and emotional outburst to my original question answered it for me. I do hope you receive what you are rightfully and legally entitled to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 PM

19 posts, read 109,320 times
You're assuming things you don't know. I appreciate the help, I can do without the rest.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM

148 posts, read 876,797 times
Innerdream, you are pushing everyone away that has tried to give input to your thread. The opinions that were given were based on the information you provided.

If you are not going to post all the facts and just push everyone away with vulgar language, then this thread should just be deleted as it's not conveying any type of valuable information to anyone.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerdream View Post
I'll keep it short. I'm in Beverly Hills, the code enforcement officers found the unit illegal and are shutting it down and I'm evicted. I have threatened to sue in small claims court for the allowable maximum, the landlords attorney claims he didn't know it was illegal. I have proof otherwise. I have contacted an attorney but he wasn't a whole lot of help because there wasn't money in it for him he thought. Anyhow, I an going to sue regardless of their claims, I've been here ten years and my whole life revolves around this area, not to mention I can't afford to move.

Over on the NJ board on this site there is a parallegal who has replied to the same topic. Is there anyone here who can help me with my rights? The landlord and manager use threats and intimidation to run this property and I have been a victim of these things. I want justice!
if you knew it was illegal up front then you knew already a lot about his character already. it is difficult to go to a court to demand equity when you already knew you had put yourself in a nonequity position.

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Well, if you read my first post it was asking for help what I got was snide, assuming remarks. I don't have to come here for help but I read the NJ board and thought perhaps I might get the same response here...I was wrong.

I'll unregister and find my own solutions.

Thanks to those who gave helpful answer without interjecting opinions and snide remarks.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
if you knew it was illegal up front then you knew already a lot about his character already. it is difficult to go to a court to demand equity when you already knew you had put yourself in a nonequity position.

stephen s
san diego ca

I did NOT know it was illegal.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
Do you know why it is illegal? We have a duplex in an R-1 area but we have a letter saying that we can rent out the lower unit... from 1948 so the unit is "grandfathered" in. Which means, if we didn't have that letter we couldn't rent it out. Is this the case for you? Or is it a structural issue? Too small to be rental? Is it a duplex amongst houses?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 PM

I think you are okay. My unit was bootlegged without permits and is a converted storage unit that does not meet code and can't be brought up to code. The city has inspected and the order came from them to convert it back.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
I can only suggest this... your landlord had to register with the city (if it's in L.A) in order to legally accept rent from you. They usually come out every 2 years to inspect. If they just made it out to your place this year, the landlord may have registered because they knew it was illegal (and that the inspectors would come) so they knew they could get you out this way. I am only speculating though. I don't know if you are entitled to a relocation fee... you might want to check into that. It might be easier than sueing.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I can only suggest this... your landlord had to register with the city (if it's in L.A) in order to legally accept rent from you. They usually come out every 2 years to inspect. If they just made it out to your place this year, the landlord may have registered because they knew it was illegal (and that the inspectors would come) so they knew they could get you out this way. I am only speculating though. I don't know if you are entitled to a relocation fee... you might want to check into that. It might be easier than sueing.
He did not want me out, they are not happy. It's way too long of a story to tell here.

That's what I have asked for is relocation fees in essence but they claim they didn't know it was illegal. From what I have learned that won't hold water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles