Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 19,057 times

Advertisements

I've lined up a renter for my current apartment in Chicago's Ukrainian Village and am officially moving to LA for an OCT 1 move.

I know it's about 6 weeks too early to apartment search out there, but I keep excitedly perusing craigslist and therentalgirl site.

Can anyone help me figure out an ideal neighborhood for a 28-year-old indie-ish musician who already works from home/and in wi-fi cafes?

If I can't play in my apartment, I would probably look into practice space shares for all instruments – it's a great way to make friends in the music scene anyhow.

I'm hoping for a stand alone bungalow or cottage under $1450/mo or a 1 bedroom apartment with an outdoor gardening area. I would love to be close to a gym with spinning, an area to bike, a grocery store, and an artsy (even hipster) community.

I've heard eagle rock is an up and coming scene or los feliz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,132,098 times
You should find plenty for under $1450/mo, although LA is overall a lot more expensive than Chicago, so you will probably settle for a bit smaller place.

Eagle Rock seems to be a "well kept secret". I think there might some artists/musicians there, although it might a bit quiet, and less urban, but being close to the hills are really nice. I'm actually thinking of moving to that area when my lease is up in December. There are much better deals than where I live right now (Palms/Culver City).

Los Feliz and Silver Lake are like LAs counterparts to Wicker Park/Bucktown. Essentially artsy hipster vibe over all, live music, etc. but has gotten a bit pricy for actualy working artists. Echo Park might be the more up and coming area for musicians as it is a bit more affordable.

Although it sounds like you are well established enough where you can easily afford Los Feliz. The other benefits of Los Feliz is that it is centrally located between Hollywood and Downtown. And you are close to Griffith Park to enjoy nature and outdoors.

By the way, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, and while never lived in the city proper lived just outside the limits in Oak Park, and have been all over the city in the past.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
You should find plenty for under $1450/mo, although LA is overall a lot more expensive than Chicago, so you will probably settle for a bit smaller place.

Eagle Rock seems to be a "well kept secret". I think there might some artists/musicians there, although it might a bit quiet, and less urban, but being close to the hills are really nice. I'm actually thinking of moving to that area when my lease is up in December. There are much better deals than where I live right now (Palms/Culver City).

Los Feliz and Silver Lake are like LAs counterparts to Wicker Park/Bucktown. Essentially artsy hipster vibe over all, live music, etc. but has gotten a bit pricy for actualy working artists. Echo Park might be the more up and coming area for musicians as it is a bit more affordable.

Although it sounds like you are well established enough where you can easily afford Los Feliz. The other benefits of Los Feliz is that it is centrally located between Hollywood and Downtown. And you are close to Griffith Park to enjoy nature and outdoors.

By the way, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, and while never lived in the city proper lived just outside the limits in Oak Park, and have been all over the city in the past.
Highland Park is also a neighborhood that is heading the way of Eagle Rock/Los Feliz/Silver Lake. It even has a Gold Line stop as an added bonus.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,652 times
You can also check out the NoHo Arts District. Has lots of cafes/coffee shops with indie musicians playing everyday. Cafes include Republic of Pie, Moby's Coffee House, Cahuenga Cafe, Federal Bar....the list goes on. You'll even hear musicians just playing randomly outside at the park, Pit Fire Pizza, NoHo Farmers Market, etc. This district is more of a performing arts district rather than an arts and crafts area. So it has a lot of actors, singers, dancers (including me). I live in a more single family residential portion of the district and there are 3 houses that surround me that have bands. Coincidentally, my neighbor just gave me a CD she just recorded with her husband. Oh and NoHo has one of the youngest demographics in all of Los Angeles.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 PM

62 posts, read 149,325 times
Eagle Rock, Los Feliz and Silver Lake get my vote.

If you move out here from Ukranian Village and find a venue like The Empty Bottle, or BBQ like Honey 1, please let me know.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 AM

33 posts, read 109,927 times
Key words I hear are "indie, musician & hipster"....I think you would really like what echo park has to offer as many indie musicians gravitate to the area. EP is an eclectic neighborhood that has a young, very artsy, very hipster vibe and finding the hillside bungalow on your wish list for that price is very doable. It is truly a neighborhood that has continued to grow and evolve organically. Cafes and coffee shops are constantly filled during the day with many industry type individuals doing their "thing" and there are great venues around the neighborhood like The Echo, Bootleg Theater, Pehrspace and so on...There is a true live and let live vibe that resonates strongly within the community with new transplants mixed into the long time artsy or ethnic residents. Also, you can't beat the location being close to Downtown which is going through its own renaissance and it's central to other great areas that would interest a young artist in their 20s. To add, you can hike in elysian park or griffith park which is also nearby, bike ride along the la river and around the city since there is a bike culture growing stronger as the city shows its support with Cyclavia. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 19,057 times
So great, thanks guys! I am definitely going to focus on Echo and Highland Park, it sounds like I'll get more of a city feeling in those neighborhoods that have a strong community of POC and artists.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,908 times
I agree Echo Park would be your first choice followed by Eagle Rock and NOHO

Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
im surprised no one has mentioned that echo park right now is kind of torn down. the entire lake has been drained and they are refilling it after repairing the wetlands or something of that nature. in the meantime, that beautiful iconic lake is now wrapped round with a black fence. if you are gonna be here a short time, you might want a place a little more beautiful.

i am surprised also that no one has pushed for venice. you could find a place in your price range, and you would be near the beach and the boardwalk. many, many artists live there and having lived there myself (and i am also an artist), i know that there are whole scenes that don't extend into the rest of the city. lots of clannish raw foodists/burners/surfers/musicians live there and it seems when they leave town (which means, leave venice) they go to places like topanga, joshua tree, ojai, etc. sometimes it seems there is only one road out of venice and it goes to topanga canyon. alot of people i know spend their time in those two places. they seem to have some sort of hippie yin-yang magnetism. venetians have a talent for ignoring the rest of L.A. if you live in hollywood or ER you spend alot more time in other parts of the city. venetians don't feel that same need. at least, the people i know didn't. when all your friends wanna come visit you because you are so close to the beach and you have really cool neighbors (which you invariably will), the party is usually at your place. its a short walk to amazing bars, dispensaries (the farmacy on abbot kinney sells this great gelato with valerian root in it, its ridiculous), bookstores, you name it.
if you want the grungy city feel but be surrounded by hepsters you might want to also look into the brewery. its the largest artist's residency in the world. its also on the much-maligned eastside, which is a fantastic place, tho lacking in things like juice bars and raw food co-ops (not completely, but not dotted with them like the westside). but you will be smack down in the middle of loads of artists and you could also check out hm157, right on broadway in lincoln heights. i live there and its a pretty wacky community. we put on shows and are one of the top underground venues in L.A. its a good place to hobnob, wherever you live, and we aren't far from echo park nor eagle rock. good luck in your search. chicago is a great city.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 PM

137 posts, read 454,976 times
eh, i would skip venice unless you want the sleepy beach town feel. better as a weekend destination methinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles