Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles will always be in my heart. I was born there. However, I left shortly before Metro's rail system went into operation. I think that Los Angeles would have been catapulted to world-class city status sooner if a decent (BART-like) system was in place earlier.

That being said, where is the rail (NOT Metrolink, but the regular subway or light rail Blue/Green stuff) projected to go next?

The Red Line was an obvious choice, particularly over Cahuenga into the Valley. So was Blue to Long Beach and Gold to Pasadena. Now, will they be extending to the Westside, as they should? Will they continue to the West Valley? Will there be an arc sweep roughly along 405?

One of the world's most important cities deserves a great rapid rail network. Any help with or insight into these questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Man, I sure wish the Metro Expo line was up and running-- it would REALLY make things easier for me, trying to find a place to commute to USC. Wikipedia says 2010 completion-- does that sound about right? I'll already have been long graduated by then. I think Los Angeles desperately needs to invent in mass transit.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
The Valley now has the Orange Line, which is a busway going from the North Hollywood Red Line station out to Warner Center in Woodland Hills. The route used to be railroad tracks, but the tracks were removed and the paved busway is now in place.

I'm not sure about other projects. We desperately need a subway to take us to LAX! It's difficult to believe that one doesn't exist yet.

I'd love to see the subway go to the west side, but I'm not holding my breath. Too many NIMBYs who are afraid of the criminal element.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,118,303 times
The Red Line will never be extended to the Westside as long as Beverly Hills remembers the nightmare buidling the RedLine to Wilshire and Western.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 PM

13 posts, read 34,249 times
The 5 lines in operation today (Red, Purple, Blue, Gold, and Green) all have extensions planned, and the Expo (Aqua) line is under construction, as is the Eastside extension of the Gold Line to East LA. Future lines include the Downtown Connector, the Purple Line extension to Santa Monica, the Expo Line Phase 2 to Santa Monica, and the Gold Line extension to the San Gabriel Valley. There are also other proposals for a Silver Line (El Monte to Hollywood), Yellow Line (downtown to Glendale), as well as a Crenshaw/LAX line. Go to the metro.net website and download their "Long Term Transportation Plan" for a basic overview of the ideas being kicked around for the next 25 years.

Oh, and Beverly Hills is in favor of the subway extension to and through their city.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Green View Post
The 5 lines in operation today (Red, Purple, Blue, Gold, and Green) all have extensions planned, and the Expo (Aqua) line is under construction, as is the Eastside extension of the Gold Line to East LA. Future lines include the Downtown Connector, the Purple Line extension to Santa Monica, the Expo Line Phase 2 to Santa Monica, and the Gold Line extension to the San Gabriel Valley. There are also other proposals for a Silver Line (El Monte to Hollywood), Yellow Line (downtown to Glendale), as well as a Crenshaw/LAX line. Go to the metro.net website and download their "Long Term Transportation Plan" for a basic overview of the ideas being kicked around for the next 25 years.

Oh, and Beverly Hills is in favor of the subway extension to and through their city.
Yep, so is Santa Monica, much like Pasadena with the Gold Line.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Los Angeles will always be in my heart. I was born there. However, I left shortly before Metro's rail system went into operation. I think that Los Angeles would have been catapulted to world-class city status sooner if a decent (BART-like) system was in place earlier.

That being said, where is the rail (NOT Metrolink, but the regular subway or light rail Blue/Green stuff) projected to go next?

The Red Line was an obvious choice, particularly over Cahuenga into the Valley. So was Blue to Long Beach and Gold to Pasadena. Now, will they be extending to the Westside, as they should? Will they continue to the West Valley? Will there be an arc sweep roughly along 405?

One of the world's most important cities deserves a great rapid rail network. Any help with or insight into these questions?
Well, there are some impressive plans on the slate. Trouble is, no money. And the Governor just pillaged our transit tax dollars for other things.

The Transit Coalition site references nearly ALL the transit plans for this area. Some of their 'dream' system maps are pretty interesting, though few even come close to the Pacific Electric and Yellow Car system that built L.A. in the early part of the 20th Century.

The Transit Coalition

Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'd love to see the subway go to the west side, but I'm not holding my breath. Too many NIMBYs who are afraid of the criminal element.
Wow, Not In My Back Yard, hadn't heard that acronym in a while. LOL.

But, you know, newer communities have wrestled with this, thinking that commuter rail needs to be relegated to the blighted parts of the city. We've all heard of Philadelphia's much touted "Main Line," right? In that case, the main line suburbs are Philly's finest...hardly the Philly of dilapidated rowhouses but the one of spacious laws and circular driveways.

It does need to come to the Westside. They also need to north-south arc to connect it all. Sandy, it does go to the airport. It just would be a mess from the SFV/Universal. Red to Blue to Green...and then a shuttle bus from the El Segundo stop. That's why an arc from the Valley busway along 405, more or less, to tie into the red (up north), the green (in El Segundo) and the blue (in LB) would be great, though a pipe dream.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,118,303 times
There have been geologist reports that say that expanding the red line underground is not feasible. It would have to be moved to the surface. At first MTA ignored these findings and built the extension to North Hollywood anyway. And then they acted surprised when a sink hole longer than a bus length opened up at Hollywood and Vermont and Hollywood Blvd itself (the tourist part) began sinking. They had to pick up the stars and rebuild the sidewalks. The sidewalks are still two level. It ended up costing three times the projected amount to build. And MTA still hasn't recovered financially.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:43 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The Valley now has the Orange Line, which is a busway going from the North Hollywood Red Line station out to Warner Center in Woodland Hills. The route used to be railroad tracks, but the tracks were removed and the paved busway is now in place.

I'm not sure about other projects. We desperately need a subway to take us to LAX! It's difficult to believe that one doesn't exist yet.

The "criminal element" wouldn't take the subway, they would drive.

I swear, the excuses communities give for not moving into the 21st century amazes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles