Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,376 times

Advertisements

I am a pakistani punjabi american and i have lived in the areas of orange county particularly anahiem and yorba linda as well i have also lived in corona for the past 5 years and close to a year in beverly hills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:47 PM

83 posts, read 122,205 times
Artesia - Around Pioneer Blvd. has a TON of Pakistani stuff.

I also know some "well-off" Pakistani doctor types in Irvine, Torrance, Manhattan Beach, and some Inland too (Rancho Cucamonga).

There is a more middle-class/blue collar Pakistani community in Hawthorne between Inglewood and Prairie. I always see them in their outfits and the restaurants.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,241 times
Unhappy Looking for a short term accomodation

A muslim family of 5 is looking for a clean and fully furnished place on rent near California State University Northridge for a period of 20 days from 19th Dec to 11th Jan. Request for help..

Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
There is an Indian/Pakistani shop on Hawthorne Blvd/130th St. where I buy my paneer, garam masala, and the like. There are a few Paki/Indi restaurants on Inglewood Avenue in Hawthorne and Lawndale. My daughter's nanny was a Pakistani lady whose children attended a private Muslim school somewhere in Hawthorne, so I am guessing there might be several Pakistani families in the Hawthorne area. My daughter's former nanny lives in Torrance, and I have heard there are quite a few families in Torrance as well.

While I have never eaten at El Watan Halal Restaurant, I have driven by a few times and it always smells great around the afternoon/evening. I have read in their reviews that people travel from other cities for the authentic cuisine. My daughter's nanny said their lamb and samosas are wonderful.

Yes. Al-Watan is really really delicious. It's time for my fix. It's been a little while. I highly recommend it.

I agree about Hawthorne, that place is typically packed with Pakistani folks so they all must live in the area.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu94303 View Post
A muslim family of 5 is looking for a clean and fully furnished place on rent near California State University Northridge for a period of 20 days from 19th Dec to 11th Jan. Request for help..
Your religion is irrelevant to your purported rental request.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
There is an Indian/Pakistani shop on Hawthorne Blvd/130th St. where I buy my paneer, garam masala, and the like. There are a few Paki/Indi restaurants...
For those that don't know "Paki" is a racial slur. Especially in the UK and Canada. It's the South Asian equivalent of the N-word.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
For those that don't know "Paki" is a racial slur. Especially in the UK and Canada. It's the South Asian equivalent of the N-word.
So you prefer the stupid term "Asian" to refer to all south Asians from the subcontinent?

Old 12-16-2017, 05:06 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So you prefer the stupid term "Asian" to refer to all south Asians from the subcontinent?

Yes, it is much preferable to a word that is typically considered a racial slur.

Or, simply saying "Pakistani" is not too difficult either

Old 12-16-2017, 05:15 PM

I'll tell what is offensive. It is not the term Paki any more than some Mexicans calling themselves Mexis is -- or countless other examples.

So what is offensive? Pakistan's unabashed fanaticism and imposition of the barbaric crime of "blasphemy" which is a human rights disaster for its own people. That's offensive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-12621225

Old 12-16-2017, 05:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I'll tell what is offensive. It is not the term Paki any more than some Mexicans calling themselves Mexis is -- or countless other examples.

So what is offensive? Pakistan's unabashed fanaticism and imposition of the barbaric crime of "blasphemy" which is a human rights disaster for its own people. That's offensive.

What are Pakistan's blasphemy laws? - BBC News
And Pakistan's treatment of religious minorities (including minority sects of Islam as well as Hindus, Christians, and Sikhs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles