Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
No, I certainly do not think that about LA. I cannot speak for all in OC, but for myself. In fact, I still love LA. I love for what LA was, what it could be and what it still is in a few parts. But let's be honest about the consequences of the endless tidal waves of migration of poor unskilled migrants into LA. Notice that I did not focus on any particular ethnicity. That's because the imported poverty via immigration is not limited to Hispanics. Many of the bums walking around are poor whites from other states. The endless wave of illegal enhanced by legal immigration (who often seek and get benefits) has really made a lot of LA undesirable. You all know it's true, but you may refuse to admit the obvious. Many of you will attack me for being a "racist" despite the fact that I just mentioned it is not all a Hispanic problem. Sure, most of the undocumented (or poor legal immigrants) are "of color" (whatever the *^&^ that means), but the problem is not their color but rather that there are hordes of them. They are poor, unskilled, illiterate, have low expectations from their kids insofar as education is concerned, bring cultural baggage with them and thus engage in objectionable conduct to Americans such as littering.

We need time to assimilate these people. We need time to make people feel like they belong to a community. We need time to show people higher standards. This takes time. There should not be an endless stream of more poor immigrants waiting around the corner to join the existing ones. It is time to dramatically curtail immigration until Americans can mix culturally and hey, why not genetically as well, for the betterment of the city and nation.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle," - Orwell

This post right here is the difference between armed robbery and Bernie Madoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Sit down! All that hullabaloo means nothing. I know PLENTY of native Angelenos that would dump LA in a heartbeat if they were offered a sweet paying job. Some are actually leaving. I get asked all the time about Texas and about the jobs, the housing and the climate. I tell them that they'll miss the mountains, the hills, the sea etc and they're always like whatever, I've seen it all, I need a high paying job.

And I don't blame them. Trust me my good friend who owns a nice house on a hill overlooking a blue lake in Austin Texas and is part of the tech scene there is not jealous of me.
Still though. To me, Texas is the minor leagues while LA is the major leagues. Sure, it's much easier in Texas, but there's no challenge there. A Yasiel Puig can easily dominate the minors and stay there long-term. I'd rather be in the majors. Texas is just too easy and stale. I am in no way jealous of anyone owning a home there. That's like going backwards to me. No thanks.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
A variation on this theme is when posters take tidbits from various parts of the city/metro and apply it to the region as a whole. This is why LA is often described as a "glitzy, superficial, plastic, third world, ghetto cesspool".

There's a poster (from Houston) who insists LA, a city with a mountain range cutting through it, is "flat as a pancake". Why? Because portions of the basin are, and that's what he saw, so its a pancake. Total nonsense.

There's a poster (from Houston) who insists LA is flat as a pancake. Why? Because portions of it somewhat are.
That poster isn't from Houston, but instead a small Ne Texas town.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:21 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Still though. To me, Texas is the minor leagues while LA is the major leagues. Sure, it's much easier in Texas, but there's no challenge there. A Yasiel Puig can easily dominate the minors and stay there long-term. I'd rather be in the majors. Texas is just too easy and stale. I am in no way jealous of anyone owning a home there. That's like going backwards to me. No thanks.
If you got it of course the place to be is either NYC or LA, but if ya don't then I would say just working and living in either city seems pointless after some time

Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
That's it in a nutshell as far as I'm concerned. If you have the means then LA is the sh*t. If you don't then it's you vs 18 million (again, 18 MILLION) people in the grind. I think it's irresponsible of people who love LA to not admit that for every great thing about it there is a facet equally terrible.

Thank God for the PCH/1. An hour driving up the coast does wonders. It's like a spell is lifted and you're like WTF am I doing living in that insanity.

If it weren't for Cambria I would have gone mental long ago.
I'm not rich, have a child, and am having a blast in LA. I love it here. Couldn't image being anywhere else. There's nothing wrong with loving the good and rough of LA. I love it all.

Some people are mentally tougher than others I suppose. If you are weak minded and have a negative nancy type of mentality, LA definitely isn't for you. Perhaps try Texas? That's the perfect place for the "back up" plan type.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
If you got it of course the place to be is either NYC or LA, but if ya don't then I would say just working and living in either city seems pointless after some time
I'm far from rich and live in a decent apartment on the west side with a small backyard, but I couldn't be happier. This is paradise to me and offers me exactly what I want and I would have no problem with living in this situation for the long-haul. I feel like a success since I didn't have to settle for Texas, Arizona,Nevada, and etc. I do not envy those people in the slightest.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I'm far from rich and live in a decent apartment on the west side with a small backyard, but I couldn't be happier. This is paradise to me and offers me exactly what I want and I would have no problem with living in this situation for the long-haul. I feel like a success since I didn't have to settle for Texas, Arizona,Nevada, and etc. I do not envy those people in the slightest.
That's great for you but living a bit wealthier in another state is not settling. Its a bit arrogant to assume that someone who found a great stake to claim in another state some how settled but you living a meager life in a decent apartment means you're better because you're "mentally" tougher to handle the toughs of LA. That also seems down right delusional. Sorry buddy but if ya made it, ya made it whether in Ohio or LA. Just living in LA doesn't mean you made it. If you're genuinely happy then good for you but cut the everyone else settled junk. I live here too but don't feel superior and wouldn't dare say something as ridiculous as what you've states to some of my friends with great careers, homes and families in other states. They would just think as I do with you that I was desperately trying to justify my decision. Trust me, those people you don't envy, sure as hell don't envy you.

But hey man, if it helps.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
That's great for you but living a bit wealthier in another state is not settling. Its a bit arrogant to assume that someone who found a great stake to claim in another state some how settled but you living a meager life in a decent apartment means you're better because you're "mentally" tougher to handle the toughs of LA. That also seems down right delusional. Sorry buddy but if ya made it, ya made it whether in Ohio or LA. Just living in LA doesn't mean you made it. If you're genuinely happy then good for you but cut the everyone else settled junk. I live here too but don't feel superior and wouldn't dare say something as ridiculous as what you've states to some of my friends with great careers, homes and families in other states. They would just think as I do with you that I was desperately trying to justify my decision. Trust me, those people you don't envy, sure as hell don't envy you.

But hey man, if it helps.
That's good, they should be happy, but I definitely don't envy them either. I'm sorry, but it is settling. If cost of living were equal, they'd choose California in a heartbeat, but since it's not they have to settle for Texas. Come on now. Texas is no one's first option.

I could easily afford a house out there, but why would I want to? I live in one of the greatest locations in the world. Texas is nothing more than a plan b. A compromise state. The back up plan. A place to reluctantly go when there are no other options.

This area is expensive for a reason. It offers so much more.

Last edited by The Illusive Man; 06-06-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
That's good, they should be happy, but I definitely don't envy them either. I'm sorry, but it's like going backwards to me. LA is superior to these other areas and the cost of living is higher for a reason. People actually want to live here as their first option. Nobody dreams of living in Texas or Arizona. They just don't. That's the minor leagues and always will be. Cheaper housing is all these other places have other California and LA and that's just not enough for me to move there and settle. I could easily afford a house out there, but why would I do that when I live in one of the greatest places in the world? Texas is a plan b state.

No delusion, just stating it like it is. I'd be miserable out there.
I agree that Texas is a poor mans California. It will always be Italian wine to French. Spanish leather to Italian leather. But then again I'm seeing it through my rose colored glasses and "worldly" standards. What does LA have to attract my father who is ten times richer than I am and can afford a good life in LA? Nothing. He's a down home country boy. What about my chemical engineer cousin? What would have him leave energy corridor Houston? He enjoys being in the top industry with a top firm in the city. Its akin to working finance in NYC or tech in San Jose.

It is a bit of delusion, man. The people that want to live here are not practical people. I'm not that practical, I admit it. But at least I've learned enough humility and perspective to understand that I don't live the most coveted life in the most coveted city.

I think you're mistaking your very "worldly" sort of yuppie outlook on the rest of the country. Like someone who thinks everyone desires a luxury foreign car and if they don't they're lying to themselves, when in reality many just prefer a shiny new truck or an American sports car.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I agree that Texas is a poor mans California. It will always be Italian wine to French. Spanish leather to Italian leather. But then again I'm seeing it through my rose colored glasses and "worldly" standards. What does LA have to attract my father who is ten times richer than I am and can afford a good life in LA? Nothing. He's a down home country boy. What about my chemical engineer cousin? What would have him leave energy corridor Houston? He enjoys being in the top industry with a top firm in the city. Its akin to working finance in NYC or tech in San Jose.

It is a bit of delusion, man. The people that want to live here are not practical people. I'm not that practical, I admit it. But at least I've learned enough humility and perspective to understand that I don't live the most coveted life in the most coveted city.

I think you're mistaking your very "worldly" sort of yuppie outlook on the rest of the country. Like someone who thinks everyone desires a luxury foreign car and if they don't they're lying to themselves, when in reality many just prefer a shiny new truck or an American sports car.
Yeah, I can agree there. Some people are fine with McDonald's because it's quick and easy and very cheap. Others are more willing to go for an Umami Burger, sure it's not as cheap or as convenient, but better quality. At the end of the day though, both places serve their purpose and can satisfy hunger. Texas servers it's purpose. It's quick, convenient, and very cheap. I don't doubt that people can find a great life there.

I suppose I'm just one of the lucky few that has been able to fully take advantage of what LA has to offer. There's a reason why I love this place so much. It's been good to me. I do understand though that not everyone is so fortunate, but I'm definitely not alone in being able to carve a great life here. I see other success stories every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles