Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,491,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
DTLA is proly one of the best things about LA!
lol there is more to do outside of downtown than in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,028,073 times
That's just me personally. I tend to go there a lot. I find so much to do.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,155,062 times
Quote:
That's just me personally. I tend to go there a lot. I find so much to do.
Agreed. DTLA is awesome. I love going there, especially los callejones.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 PM

261 posts, read 419,011 times
I took a vacation to LA in the month of June in the mid 1980's and I was really surprised how trashed out LA looked. Growing up in Indiana, California always seemed kind of exotic to me, almost a paradise. I didn't see too much in LA city limits that I liked, but I really did like Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, and Westwood. I liked the vibe of those areas. But as far as LA, the city itself, I was really disappointed in it.

Seems like most of the businesses would board up their windows when it got dark. It made LA feel like a dangerous place, but I never felt unsafe or threatened there. Even the LA skyline at the time was not all that impressive looking for such a large city. Houston's skyline was much more dynamic and futuristic looking than LA's. That was in the 80's. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then.

I'd like to go back again but on my next California trip, I also wanna go to Monterey, Carmel and that area, and then on to San Francisco, and a place that I have always heard of, Mendocino.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
lol there is more to do outside of downtown than in it.
That's true of any city.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 AM

416 posts, read 560,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Even when these ppl go vacationing they search out those familiar places and hate to try new things.
Sorry but I dont see how LA is different. How many people drive around in leased BMWs? How many women wear the ridiculous oversized sunglasses?

'We won't judge you?'. This is LOS ANGELES. Image central. Hands down some of the most self-absorbed people I have ever come across.

There are things I love about LA - but 'non-conformist' and 'non-judgemental' and 'trying new things?'. Puh-lease.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
DTLA is proly one of the best things about LA!
There are some interesting things happening there for sure, but it's got a LONG way to go before it's a real 'downtown' as in self-sufficient day and nightlife like other major cities.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
And LA looks old. Once you pass La Brea you see the cracks in the city.
An interesting observation that I agree with, one that I think eventually becomes part of whether one loves or hates LA. It's constantly setting trends in some ways but in terms of architecture, the look of the city itself there is an aged, decadent quality that permeates everything. I've come to see it as lingering decay, as evidence of a city that at its heart is incapable of changing in certain ways. But I can also see how others would take pleasure in all of that. Kind of like how some people love the South for similar reasons.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
see what they perceive to be an unsightly urban mess. It's not.
Oh come on now, LA absolutely IS an unsightly urban mess. That's part of it's appeal. It's a sprawling clusterf*ck of a city. You refer to it like it's a good thing. It's not. It's evidence of a city that has a lot of problems as sis typical of major cities that are as old as Los Angeles. Layers upon layers of bullsh*t and brilliance. I don't think it's something some people 'get' as it is some people have no problem ignoring why some things are as messed up as they are. A lot of LA IS 'ghetto' that's not something someone needs to 'get it' to deal with it. It's a problem that many of us have to suck and deal with while we live here.

It's like saying someone doesn't get why NYC in the early 80s was so cool. Yeah, there was cool stuff going on but if you actually lived there (depending where of course), it also kind of sucked.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think much of LA's net out-migration of Americans is due to folks being priced out. There is a large amount of Americans coming moving in, probably one of the largest in raw numbers in the country.
Reverse white flight has been in effect for some time now. Urban is now in and nationwide cities are experiencing big growth. Los Angeles will be no exception. Another reason why I'm outta here. 18 million people and *growing*? Oh, hell no. Already ranked #1 worst traffic in the country. That is not going to get better any time soon, if ever (its cute little train plans aside).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles