Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 PM

31 posts, read 33,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
LA needs a good PR campaign. Instead we get a lot of northeastern transplant writers from NYC or Boston come live here and write about how much they hate LA. They're just here for the movie industry and wish LA could be more like NYC.

Los Angeles is a rich city that is extremely noir in certain areas (more so than NYC) and suburban All american happy land. It's a huge metropolis and a family oriented suburb all rolled into one.

NYC has a huge propaganda campaign behind it pumping you full of NYC is the best promotional material. I mean my god how many times are we going to have watch a movie about directors getting off to NYC? They worship NYC. Yet, to me it's a great city for anyone who wants to be a pompous competitive jerk.

LA is the epitome of cool. It really doesn't care who knows it's America's best city. It doesn't brag about itself and knows that it's image is skewed but would rather relax than fight it.
No LA does not need a PR campaign. If it had a big PR campaign the traffic and cost and overcrowding would only get worse.;0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,789,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78's View Post
No LA does not need a PR campaign. If it had a big PR campaign the traffic and cost and overcrowding would only get worse.;0)
spoken like an angelino lol

was gonna say that...actually i've been seeing a ton of out of state plates during summer this year..much more than last few years

Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 PM

149 posts, read 232,409 times
It's not just LA, it's NYC, too.

Both are much hyped cities, that obviously offer a HELL of A LOT...

...but beneath amenities, there is a lot that is really wrong with both. I guess it's only natural when you try to jam so many people into such a small area. LA has sprawl, but you're still cramming millions upon millions of people into a relatively small area.

Too many people all wanting the same thing can't be good.

Think 'Black Friday'. lol.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM

I live in Austin now. 100 people move here every day, many from LA and everyone complains about it. Everyone wants to be the last person to move here. I'm waiting for more people to move here from LA to make room for me again (0; all complaints about traffic aside (I never got on the freeway anyway and could get anywhere by taking side streets), I'd give anything to be back in my old Koreatown neighborhood again and be the only white face on the bus, it's heaven. I love that. Hell is a small town in the Midwest with only white man as far as the eye can see and the worst food you ever tasted.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,789,657 times
Quote:
I live in Austin now. 100 people move here every day, many from LA and everyone complains about it. Everyone wants to be the last person to move here. I'm waiting for more people to move here from LA to make room for me again (0; all complaints about traffic aside (I never got on the freeway anyway and could get anywhere by taking side streets), I'd give anything to be back in my old Koreatown neighborhood again and be the only white face on the bus, it's heaven. I love that. Hell is a small town in the Midwest with only white man as far as the eye can see and the worst food you ever tasted.
lol

actually since you've been gone, a LOT of hipster whites, etc. are moving into Ktown. It's getting built up a lot now, new buildings etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:16 PM

That's too bad. There was a nice mix. A few white artists who liked the houses for the large windows (= lots of light), some Latinos and lots of Koreans. There was a mall on Western and San Marino with a grocery store in the basement that had very inexpensive and fresh produce (special tiny Korean melons mmm).

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,150,160 times
Quote:
I left LA in 1988 and I have missed it ever since. Not only did it feel like home after 11 years but it was in my bones I long for it. I was poor when I lived there and not on public assistance. It was difficult yet I still loved it. It was the only place I've ever lived where I wasn't sick from allergies year round. As the years have gone by I've gotten sicker. I am trying to find a mobile home that is affordable but either the home is affordable and the lot rent is not or the lot rent is affordable and the home isn't. When I lived there I loved taking trips up the coast and vacationing in Big Sur, the most gorgeous place ever. Highway 1 is lovely if a bit hairy up around Eureka- Klamath - Crescent City where I nearly ate it in a car accident at 16. I think the reason LA is looked down upon by some people in Northern Ca is that people on vacation tend to forget to pick up after themselves or litter.. I never have. I was raised from a young age to never litter. Also there is a tendency for people there to think LA and they are the center of the universe. The world is not a suburb of LA but it sure was fun. Also people are too image concious and too prejudice against those who don't fit their mold of what is beautiful. And people are cautious of others until they get to know you because it is s big city and as such there is crime. But once people get to know you they are faithful and hold their friends close. If one uses good sense there is no reason they shouldn't be safe in LA and the weather and gardening are ideal or were.. I don't know if I can afford it yet. I would even be happy with Torrance but maybe it'll take time. I have no desire to live in the Inland empire (what real estate agent made that up) its too hot there and one might as well live in Texas if you are going to live in El Monte or the Valley too. The smog is thick and the pollen and dust are thicker too. No, give me LA or the west or south area and i'll be happy and healthier again.
You should look up "paragraph" in the dictionary.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
One thing we don't need in L.A. is more people. If you are bashing L.A. take my advice and don't move here.

My favorite is New Yorkers who move to California (because of the weather?) and then biatch and whine that L.A. isn't as good as New York, our pizza sucks, etc. etc.

Clue: go back to NYC and all your problems with L.A. will be fixed.

I really hate whiners.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
There is a reason for that. Texas has a sane state government, California has an insane state government. Texas is pro-business, California is anti-business. Texas has a lower cost of living.s

Hey, c'mon back to L.A. One more face here won't make any difference.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,780,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
One thing we don't need in L.A. is more people. If you are bashing L.A. take my advice and don't move here.

My favorite is New Yorkers who move to California (because of the weather?) and then biatch and whine that L.A. isn't as good as New York, our pizza sucks, etc. etc.

Clue: go back to NYC and all your problems with L.A. will be fixed.

I really hate whiners.
I have never understood why people move somewhere and then constantly complain. If you don't like it, don't live there. My pet peeve are the people from the mid-west that constantly complain about California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles