Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times

Advertisements

LA is only the answer if you can make it the answer to your problems.

Boston has to be one of the most exclusive cities I've ever been to. Cliquish, natives stick to their own and utterly ice cold in terms of friendliness. I never made one Boston native friend. Everyone I hung out with while living there was from out of town.

LA has some really down to Earth native peoples. Just watch out for some of the transplants from the Northeast who tend to dominate West LA and bring their pretentious attitudes with them.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinVato View Post
Ive been living in Boston for a year and absolutely hate it here. Too many stuck up white people, ugly irish girls, rude a-holes, crappy food, etc. Ive been thinking of moving to LA because there is a lot of mexicans, but among other things I need a city with vibrant nightlife, plenty of single girls(preferably hispanic), good tech sector(im an electrical engineer), and NICE friendly people. I dont know how much longer i can live in this Moderator cut: see note chit hole.

If it were me, I'd check out Austin. A far better city overall, rapidly developing tech sector, good weather, much friendlier people, excellent nightlife, and one of the best food scenes in the country!

LA is alright, but the politics are so out of whack here that sometimes it feels the city tries to be "progressive" just for the sake of being progressive... it's turning out like San Francisco and all of it's lunacy. Austin, on the other hand, is a liberal city, but it feels more sane and rooted in common sense.

Last edited by Count David; 11-20-2012 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
It's hard to make generalizations about a city with a population of 16M+ people. There are plenty of outgoing, personable folks who are interested in meeting new people. There are a lot of misanthropes and snobs too. There are also a lot of other personalities in between. It's a very socially and culturally diverse city. If one finds it hard to make friends in LA, or anywhere really, they're probably looking in the wrong places or maybe not very desirable to hang around.

I would love to hear the conversation between the group of men who decide not to let another guy into their circle due to competition with women. If this actually happens, it's among the most absurd behaviors of single men I've ever heard of.
I have found very easy to meet lots of new people. Although, and maybe this is because I have only been here a year, but I find you make LOTS of aquaintances here, whereas back in the Chicago area, where there is more cliquishness, I have found that I make fewer aquaintances, but back there I have more friends for life. (Since there are fewer "cool" areas in that city/metro, people all concentrate there and are in close geographic proximity).

Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM

A.) Boston does not have a huge Hispanic population with the exception of a sizeable Brazilian population. There are also Portuguese but they consider themselves white like Italians and Greeks. Other than that Boston can be described as a unfriendly town with a lot of traditionalist people on one side and sarcastic hipsters on the other.

B.) Austin is liberal but being liberal in Texas is like being a moderate elsewhere. Nothing is going to be as progressive as the Northwest or Vermont, nothing. So comparing Austin to LA is spurious. Both cities are green or progressive in name only. Both are liberal socially but when we get down to the economics of things, both cities still cater to big business (while taxing the small ones to death).

Austin is small, super small. It's beautiful and can be seen as a poor man's California, but in reality it's like getting Spanish leather. It's great but it's not Italian. You will basically have lakes, not oceans. Hills, but not mountains, sunshine but no ocean breeze. It's also a huge college town with a lot of young twenty somethings and burnt out thirty year olds who couldn't make it in Houston or Dallas.

It's laid back as hell though.

C.) How can any of you compare LA to anything else in America? There is nothing like LA at all. It is truly unique and fascinating. Not even NYC has this much on such an amazing eceletic city. In essense, Los Angeles truly is America's top destination.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Why not move to Mexico? Cost of living would probably be cheaper. Their economy is probably doing better than ours too, the economy in L.A.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM

Actually I did hear that the economy in Tijuana is doing slightly better than us, but it's still dangerous. Supposedly a lot of americans live south of the border and commute in.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
How can any of you compare LA to anything else in America? There is nothing like LA at all. It is truly unique and fascinating. Not even NYC has this much on such an amazing eceletic city. In essense, Los Angeles truly is America's top destination.
Agreed. Even if there are plenty of other cool cities in our country. And I love to travel and meet new people.
But the above is really how I'm feeling

Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM

215 posts, read 491,047 times
I agree whole-heartedly as well.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
So OP, move here to LA, given your attitude (hey, it's everyone else, not me) and the major chip on your shoulder you will do just great here.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
"Is LA the answer??"

Maybe LA is the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles