Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM

155 posts, read 260,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes, I agree that they are people. But, the sad part is they know they can GET AWAY with stuff living in a city like L.A

These people know how to work the system, they are not dumb. They know the areas they can get away with stuff.

How are we supposed to clean the area with people loitering , asking for money, harassing and intimidating others?

Thank you for sending the article , it is very interesting indeed. Amazing how much the prices of buildings have gone up in Downtown. It looks like it's not cheaper to build on raw land versus redeveloping an old building...but where are these empty plots in DTLA?...
I agree. This is the typical stupid liberalism that California is lambasted for in other parts of the country. There's no way on earth that Skid Row should even exist.

My solution would be to enact a kind of Habitat for Humanity in the desert. Let all the homeless people that want housing work with others to build their own homes in distant regions. They can still do drugs and whatever, but they would be FAR away from working people that get tired of being harassed and annoyed by all the filth and bad behavior associated with being in DTLA.

They got rid of the homeless problem in NYC by stop babying them.

I live in LBC and we inherited a lot of the homeless that leave Skid Row via the Metro Blue line and migrate to the shantytown communities set up alongside the 710 fwy between PCH and Anaheim Street. It's right there on the aqueduct. I should take some pictures of this mess.

They won't take action until a pretty, rich, young White girl is raped and murdered by one of these loons.

EDG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
I agree. This is the typical stupid liberalism that California is lambasted for in other parts of the country. There's no way on earth that Skid Row should even exist.

My solution would be to enact a kind of Habitat for Humanity in the desert. Let all the homeless people that want housing work with others to build their own homes in distant regions. They can still do drugs and whatever, but they would be FAR away from working people that get tired of being harassed and annoyed by all the filth and bad behavior associated with being in DTLA.

They got rid of the homeless problem in NYC by stop babying them.

I live in LBC and we inherited a lot of the homeless that leave Skid Row via the Metro Blue line and migrate to the shantytown communities set up alongside the 710 fwy between PCH and Anaheim Street. It's right there on the aqueduct. I should take some pictures of this mess.

They won't take action until a pretty, rich, young White girl is raped and murdered by one of these loons.

EDG
Lambasted by who? Mississipians? Alabamans? What shining examples of how states should be run.

If you read through the thread, it was pointed out that Skid Row and the Tenderloin are directly related to the closing down of mental health facilities in California, a product of Republican-led policies, and in some ways perpetuated by liberal policies. I don't want to blame conservatives or liberals, it is an issue that both are to blame for and both need to work together to fix.

I think your idea is terrible, most people are not homeless because they just want to do drugs (not that there aren't, I see plenty of those low-life's all the time) but because they have moderate to severe mental health issues. A lot of these people have families - in fact my brother has spent time being homeless (in a shelter), he's not a drug addict, he's not an alcoholic, he's just a moderately mentally-ill person. You think people are just going to say, "sure ship my son/brother/sister off to the Mojave desert to do hard labor for the crime of being mentally unbalanced"?

I could be wrong, but doesn't NYC still have a homeless problem?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Lambasted by who? Mississipians? Alabamans? What shining examples of how states should be run.

If you read through the thread, it was pointed out that Skid Row and the Tenderloin are directly related to the closing down of mental health facilities in California, a product of Republican-led policies, and in some ways perpetuated by liberal policies. I don't want to blame conservatives or liberals, it is an issue that both are to blame for and both need to work together to fix.

I think your idea is terrible, most people are not homeless because they just want to do drugs (not that there aren't, I see plenty of those low-life's all the time) but because they have moderate to severe mental health issues. A lot of these people have families - in fact my brother has spent time being homeless (in a shelter), he's not a drug addict, he's not an alcoholic, he's just a moderately mentally-ill person. You think people are just going to say, "sure ship my son/brother/sister off to the Mojave desert to do hard labor for the crime of being mentally unbalanced"?

I could be wrong, but doesn't NYC still have a homeless problem?
NYC has a homeless problem, but NOTHING like Skid Row. The police push them away from residential and commercial zones to shelters or wherever it is some of these folks go at night.

I am aware of the mental health issues, I just don't believe it is fair to everyone else that had nothing to do with those policies to have to deal with all the filth, crime and annoyance that these people bring to DTLA and other areas like Long Beach.

I was homeless at least twice in my life (once in college) and once here in LA (after a fire). I did everything I could to get off of the street and get a place to live and continue reporting to my jobs. I didn't get high all day and shuffle to DTLA to live with a bunch of scumbags who are uninterested in getting their lives in order.

For every mentally ill homeless person, there are like 10 bums that like to get high, harass women and panhandle all day long. IF you don't believe me, walk from Pershing Square down Broadway, make a left on 6th and walk toward Little Tokyo.

Seeing is believing.

EDG

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
NYC has a homeless problem, but NOTHING like Skid Row. The police push them away from residential and commercial zones to shelters or wherever it is some of these folks go at night.
That is basically what Skid Row is....

Quote:
I was homeless at least twice in my life (once in college) and once here in LA (after a fire). I did everything I could to get off of the street and get a place to live and continue reporting to my jobs. I didn't get high all day and shuffle to DTLA to live with a bunch of scumbags who are uninterested in getting their lives in order.
It sounds like you sort of proved my point about homeless (I should have specified long-term homeless) being mentally ill. Bummer you were homeless, but you pulled yourself out because you are not a mentally ill person that is completely comfortable living on the street or bouncing from shelter to shelter.

Quote:
For every mentally ill homeless person, there are like 10 bums that like to get high, harass women and panhandle all day long. IF you don't believe me, walk from Pershing Square down Broadway, make a left on 6th and walk toward Little Tokyo.

Seeing is believing.

EDG
Buddy I live in Hollywood, I see homeless people literally every single day of my life - and I do not have a car during the daytime, so I experience them in a first-hand basis, person-to-person. Never once have I seen them shooting up, smoking crack, etc. Only once have I come across needles, and once I saw a crack pipe (and yes I know what they look like). It's mostly pot smoking, and if you consider that an addictive drug or a cause of homelessness, than I have nothing more to say to you.

I would love to see some stats that show the rate of drug addict homeless to simply mentally ill is 10 to 1. Because that stat is simply a bunch of BS you just made up on the spot. Plus that would be a tough one to figure out, there is a ton of overlap - you are mentally ill, living among drug addicts with little to live for and most likely not the best decision-making skills, the chances of you developing an addiction are pretty high.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Buddy I live in Hollywood, I see homeless people literally every single day of my life - and I do not have a car during the daytime, so I experience them in a first-hand basis, person-to-person. Never once have I seen them shooting up, smoking crack, etc. Only once have I come across needles, and once I saw a crack pipe (and yes I know what they look like). It's mostly pot smoking, and if you consider that an addictive drug or a cause of homelessness, than I have nothing more to say to you.

I would love to see some stats that show the rate of drug addict homeless to simply mentally ill is 10 to 1. Because that stat is simply a bunch of BS you just made up on the spot. Plus that would be a tough one to figure out, there is a ton of overlap - you are mentally ill, living among drug addicts with little to live for and most likely not the best decision-making skills, the chances of you developing an addiction are pretty high.
There's no place in NYC that resembles Skid Row. No open-air drug market with filth and bums and fools all over the place.

I told you where to go to see this, NOT HOLLYWOOD, I said walk from Pershing Square down Broadway, make a left on 6th and walk toward Little Tokyo.

You will see crack smoking, people with needles, etc.

I work in Burbank, live in Long Beach, and spend time in Hollywood and mid-city LA all of the time. Most of my friends work in DTLA and I love going to Little Tokyo to eat and shop. I see this **** all of the time man.

Go to DTLA and spend some time walking around after 6pm and tell me I'm wrong.

EDG

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
There's no place in NYC that resembles Skid Row. No open-air drug market with filth and bums and fools all over the place.
NYC is a big city, and while there may not be a place as large as Skid Row, destitution, drug addiction and poverty are still very familiar in NYC.

Quote:
I told you where to go to see this, NOT HOLLYWOOD, I said walk from Pershing Square down Broadway, make a left on 6th and walk toward Little Tokyo.

You will see crack smoking, people with needles, etc.

I work in Burbank, live in Long Beach, and spend time in Hollywood and mid-city LA all of the time. Most of my friends work in DTLA and I love going to Little Tokyo to eat and shop. I see this **** all of the time man.

Go to DTLA and spend some time walking around after 6pm and tell me I'm wrong.

EDG
I do all the time (wife works in DTLA). Yes there is drug addiction and lady-harassing, but compared to the sheer number of homeless in the immediate area it is actually a pretty low percentage. I'm not trying to be an apologist or say that having an area like Skid Row is an okay thing, but I think you are placing the blame squarely on two groups - liberals and the homeless themselves. I think this is absolutely incorrect, it is every party's fault and everyone's job to fix.

Maybe you don't realize how many homeless people live in Hollywood? It is no match for Skid Row, but is right up there with Venice as having a lot of homeless / street people. Especially in the Winter when it gets to cold to hang out in Venice.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
NYC is a big city, and while there may not be a place as large as Skid Row, destitution, drug addiction and poverty are still very familiar in NYC.

I do all the time (wife works in DTLA). Yes there is drug addiction and lady-harassing, but compared to the sheer number of homeless in the immediate area it is actually a pretty low percentage. I'm not trying to be an apologist or say that having an area like Skid Row is an okay thing, but I think you are placing the blame squarely on two groups - liberals and the homeless themselves. I think this is absolutely incorrect, it is every party's fault and everyone's job to fix.

Maybe you don't realize how many homeless people live in Hollywood? It is no match for Skid Row, but is right up there with Venice as having a lot of homeless / street people. Especially in the Winter when it gets to cold to hang out in Venice.
Yes, I have seen the homeless in Hollywood. They are usually between Highland and Western on Hollywood Blvd. and especially around Santa Monica Blvd. It gets worse the further east you go on those side streets.

Liberals are unwilling to do the dirty work of forced relocation and/or imprisonment for loitering. The homeless here are coddled and allowed to run a muck pretty much unabated. Police don't do anything and the politicians are too scared of alienating the limousine liberals.

The problem is getting worse and something needs to be done ASAP. It can't just stay like this forever.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yeah exactly ...the problem with this city is they ignore problems starting out or they take a very liberal attitude and then it just grows and snowballs into this huge mess that ends up being almost impossible to fix...lowering the quality of life for people that actually are contributing to society and frankly endangering people's safety.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Whatever happened to that plan where they were gonna equip all homeless folks with wifi transmitters?
True Story:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41642243,d.cGE

Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah exactly ...the problem with this city is they ignore problems starting out or they take a very liberal attitude and then it just grows and snowballs into this huge mess that ends up being almost impossible to fix...lowering the quality of life for people that actually are contributing to society and frankly endangering people's safety.
THANK YOU!!!!

Why do folks think this is a normal way of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles