Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 AM

45 posts, read 115,630 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be in LA for the first time ever in May for a conference. I'm staying at the Millenium Biltmore hotel, and the conference is at the Los Angeles Convention Center. I'm curious how safe it is to walk to and from there (I'm a 25 year old female). I know the walk is about 9 blocks or so. I will probably have a friend with me too, but I'm most concerned about walking to and from the conference at early morning hours and later on in the evening or at night.

Would it be wise to take a taxi? Take public transporation? There were other hotels with shuttles directly to the conference but many were booked up.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM

23,548 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I would take a taxi. DTLA is not particularly a dangerous place, but there are homeless and bums around. If you walked midday, you would probably be fine, but at night and early morning, I would recommend a taxi or transportation.

If you were walking with a big group of people, you should be fine.

Last edited by ccm123; 04-03-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,853,433 times
If you will be walking with a friend, then you should be fine.

Stick with walking on Grand or Figueroa.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
if you are traveling during business hours, you could use the DASH bus system (DASH Downtown - LADOT Transit Services). it's only 50 cents per ride and there are routes all over downtown. the train system is also useable, but would require a transfer that would take away any time savings. otherwise cabs are quite expensive in LA, but I'm guessing you'll be able to expense them. walking is also perfectly fine, though the area clears out after business hours unless there is an event at the staples center (basketball or hockey game).

Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,398 times
I second BRinSM's recommendation that you consider the DASH, but with a qualification: the DASH F you'll likely want to ride starts service at 6:30 a.m., and ends at 6:30 p.m. on weekdays, and at 5:00 on weekends. It sounds like you may be returning to the Biltmore later than that.

You can see the downtown DASH service offered at: DASH Downtown - LADOT Transit Services

You also can ride the rails. From the Olive Street exit of the Biltmore, you can walk a block east on 5th to the Pershing Square subway entrance at 5th and Hill, ride the subway one stop to 7th Metro, then walk upstairs to transfer to either the Blue Line or the Expo Line for a one stop ride to the Convention Center.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
I just google street viewed the area. It looks OK if you cut to Flower before you get to Pico. Grand and Pico and then Pico to the convention center look a little sketchy. Most of Grand and Flower look fine.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
I'd just walk west on 5th Street past our main library, and turn left on Figueroa.

I'd also vote for returning to your hotel via taxicab as opposed to walking, or from any of several top-notch restaurants between your hotel and the Convention Center, including those inside and near the JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton/LA Live complex, which is two blocks north of the LACC & just west of Figueroa.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,992 times
Best options for early morning and throughout day:

1. Walk from Hotel to 7th/Metro Center station (Pershing Square station is closer, but has scuzz-balls hanging out at the entrance, and the public toilet there only attracts them). The walk to 7th/Metro Center is only a few blocks and is safe. Also, the benefit of walking to 7th/Metro Center is that you can board the train there to the Convention Center with NO TRANSFERS. You need to board EITHER Blue or Expo line from 7th/Street Metro Center to the very first stop at PICO Station. The Convention Center is just one block west and across the street. You can see the Convention Center from the platform. Trains are very frequent during rush hours and frequent during mid-days. Remember, you can take ANY train between PICO and 7th Street/Metro Center because both lines serve those stations. Remember, you are to take Blue or Expo light rail to and from Convention Center.

2. DASH bus serving Convention Center.

If it gets later in the evening, say a few hours after rush hours, then I would take a cab back to the hotel. I really don't want out-of-towners taking Metro at night, and the walk may have its risks as teh police just aren't shooing away those who don't belong in the Financial District like they used to . The DASH buses cease service very soon after rush hours.

BTW, the Biltmore is a piece of history itself. Be sure to poke around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles