Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 264,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugguy
It's not that bad. L.A. has been having very clean air lately. Still has a way to go but they're on the right track!
Agreed it seems to be getting better, i never worry about it. so I say its not that bad at all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2006, 09:26 PM

48 posts, read 260,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socali
Agreed it seems to be getting better, i never worry about it. so I say its not that bad at all..
Just because it is somewhat better than it used to be doesn't mean it is good.

But don't take my word for it. Ask any hospital how many of us asthmatics swarm into their emergency rooms every summer when there is no rain to clean the air, especially on the bad days. Any asthmatic can tell you how we feel during those times. Go into any tall building and take a good look at the cap of brownish muck hovering over the city. Check the Air Quality Index (AQI) of Los Angeles compared to almost any other major city in the world.

Just because you don't think it personally affects you very much doesn't mean that it's not bad and it's not affecting people's health.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:43 AM

644 posts, read 3,321,304 times
Default Yes, it's bad

Yes, the smog is bad. You forget about it in day to day life, but coming into the city from the east, it is horrendous. A lot of days, the skyline is brown and hazy. You can't even see the mountains. I've never seen anything like it. It's quite shocking but you get used to it and after a while you don't know any better.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 42,943 times
HAHHA no. its not bad. people love their stereotypes...

Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Go to the EPA website. The entire LA metro area is not in compliance for ozone and particulates. The air is VERY bad but the state has been trying to make the air better. In some respects it has gotten better (i.e. switching to unleaded fuel has made a big difference). But, in other respects, because of the population growth, regional climate, and the transportation situation the air is getting worse (again, ozone, particulates, etc).

And yes, just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it is not bad. Thousands of deaths each year are attributed to air pollution. It is a terrible problem and something we have to think seriously about how to address. It is going to take a serious reevaluation of our lifestyle.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM

120 posts, read 631,682 times
Default re

In LA, there have been times I couldn't see much of the sky or just the outline of buildings about 800 meters away due to the smog. I've seen it very thick there.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM
WJD

38 posts, read 195,458 times
I'm in the automotive repair business and have done smog tests for over 25 years.
Yes smog is still a problem but..............All newer vehicles with engine computer management and three way catalytic converters emit very low emissions. Sometimes zero, co, hc's and very low nox.
Info here on what a cat converter is..........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Most of the particulates are emitted from diesel powered vehicles, ie: trucks and trains.
A great amount of truck traffic here with 30 percent of the US products moving out of So. California ports by truck to areas east.
Info on diesels......http://www.stealthtdi.com/Emissions.html (broken link)

The problem is the volume of vehicles on the road and it will increase.
Smog reduction through testing and repairs to vehicles to keep them running clean versus increased volume.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
WJD-

I read somewhere recently that even if every car in the LA area had the best pollution reduction technology, there still would be a smog problem because of the number of vehicles. The automobile is the problem here. We need to start figuring that out.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
WJD

38 posts, read 195,458 times
There is never complete combustion of the fuel plus byproducts emited.
Emssion control devices take care of the rest.
Also......you all may not be auto racing fans but.........the technology of the racing engine design translates to you're personal vehicle making the engine more efficient.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
The smog is only rough in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles