Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:23 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I've noticed the people who do best leaving L.A. are the ones who are really country folk at heart. For me acres, wide open spaces, boonies...no interest whatsoever. I've also noticed that people who leave L.A. almost always move to someplace smaller.
Well, of course! Almost everyplace that isn't LA is by definition smaller. (Some exceptions, of course)

Quote:
I know what you mean. Country living, where your nearest neighbors are 5 miles away and it takes 20 minutes on winding backroads to reach the grocery store - definately not for me. But then again, it could also take 20 minutes to reach the grocery store 3 blocks away in LA!
This is why I've found a nice balance. There's a whole lot of living available somewhere in between "Los Angeles metro" and "country living"

I am loving living in a mid-sized city. I still have my easy access to shopping and dining and activities for my kids - sometimes I forget I'm not in Los Angeles county anymore! But then I flip on the news and the stories are actually local and not about some place six cities away, notice people running in the same circles and knowing each other, or taking a quick 20 minute drive to visit a real farm with my kids, and then swinging by Target on the way home. In my opinion, the best of both worlds!

I think the best reason to stay in Los Angeles is if you really do take advantage of what Los Angeles has to offer. I simply didn't.. I am satisfied with local theater and eating at the same half dozen restaurants and going to the beach once a year - exactly the same as I lived when I was in SoCal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
SandyCo,

I'm glad you decided to stay. I really wanted to leave too, once upon a time, but then I took a second look and decided life really wasn't that bad here. It was different, but it was interesting and exciting at times -- and there were lots and lots of things I could access easily here that I couldn't in other places (art, culture, foods, etc.).

Welcome back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles