Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,517,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Though I agree with much of what you said.... I do not agree with your final 2 sentences. In other parts of the country, where real estate is affordable to a larger percentage of the population, I would agree with you. In LA, however, real estate is too expensive for most to be able to buy after renting for one year.
Renting an apartment is, at most, a one year commitment. After one year it becomes a 30 day commitment. I didn't suggest that after a year a renter could afford to purchase a home. That would soley depend on the individual.

I was stating that renting a newer modern apartment is an acceptable alternative to homeownership and can allow the individual to live in an area that they could not afford to buy. Renting also provides a relatively simple alternative to individuals who are unable to manage their finances with a longterm outlook, who may have not developed a plan earlier in life, or who took risks that did not play out to their advantage recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:28 PM

42 posts, read 221,286 times
he built a golf course down in southbay.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM

830 posts, read 2,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Renting an apartment is, at most, a one year commitment. After one year it becomes a 30 day commitment. I didn't suggest that after a year a renter could afford to purchase a home. That would soley depend on the individual.

I was stating that renting a newer modern apartment is an acceptable alternative to homeownership and can allow the individual to live in an area that they could not afford to buy. Renting also provides a relatively simple alternative to individuals who are unable to manage their finances with a longterm outlook, who may have not developed a plan earlier in life, or who took risks that did not play out to their advantage recently.

Currently it is a very good alternative. On average, the cost to own in the LA area is about twice what it is to rent.

Historically, the differential between owning and renting in LA has been about $600 per month, with it costing $600 more per month to own a place versus renting. Currently that differential is about $1,800 per month, which is a great indication of how ridiculous this housing market is.

Even still, rental rates, on average, are already at about 40% of gross income. There isn't any room for rents to increase without forcing most people away, to double-up, move into a smaller place, etc.

For example, the market rent for my 2-bedroom unit in West LA has increased 29% over the past two years. Few people can afford that type of increase.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM

723 posts, read 3,003,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
For example, the market rent for my 2-bedroom unit in West LA has increased 29% over the past two years. Few people can afford that type of increase.
Is it vacant?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM

830 posts, read 2,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Is it vacant?

No. Although a capitalist at heart, I am currently bowing to the gods of rent control.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Depends on what type of tenant you are renting to.

A 1950-60s apartment in west la could have a waitress or a plumber as an occupant who may not be able to afford market rent depending on the area.
The young professional would traditionally rent for a few years then move on to a condo or house. With housing prices constantly increasing, some cant or dont want to lay out that expense. The next best thing is an upgraded apartment that has the feel of a new condo.

Some of the units down in downtown santa monica and brentwood are pretty cool. Some are nicer than condos built in the 90's.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
No. Although a capitalist at heart, I am currently bowing to the gods of rent control.

I know an owner in Santa Monica who has had the same tenant for over 20 years. Started out as a couple, then married, had 3 kids. Had they bought a place 15 years ago, they could have built substantial equity and had a place of there own in the same neighborhood but a single family home. Now all they have is low rent in a 1940's old building and 3 kids that grew up in a small apartment.

Acording to the wife, they've had the money for a downpayment until these past 7 years or so, but lost the ability when the market shot up. They never made the move because they didnt want to give up the savings on the rental unit. penny wise pound foolish.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM

723 posts, read 3,003,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
I know an owner in Santa Monica who has had the same tenant for over 20 years. Started out as a couple, then married, had 3 kids. Had they bought a place 15 years ago, they could have built substantial equity and had a place of there own in the same neighborhood but a single family home. Now all they have is low rent in a 1940's old building and 3 kids that grew up in a small apartment.

Acording to the wife, they've had the money for a downpayment until these past 7 years or so, but lost the ability when the market shot up. They never made the move because they didnt want to give up the savings on the rental unit. penny wise pound foolish.
Can you hear them moaning about housing prices 20 years ago?

I'm sure their landlord could! hahahaha

Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,203,234 times
New buildings going up downtown have to allow for 20% low income people. That means that 20% of the buildings will rent for below what the market allows. I don't know if this is true for all of LA or what.

As long as incomes don't increase like housing does, I can see more renters (cough, cough, since most of the city consists of renters) could easily vote for more rent control.

I would have liked to have seen the Ambassador Hotel preserved. It's a shame the Kennedy kids didn't feel that way. It was kind of an anachronism the way it was -- that low slung big hotel surrounded by high rises...

Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 AM

This past week, I viewed some of the apartments going up near Little Tokyo. Any lost income for low cost allocations were made up in the increased density of those developments. 4 stories right up against the sidewalk on all four sides on large commercial blocks.

I really would like to have seen some setback and let them go up another floor or two, rather than the way they look now.

Yes, low income is required, but I think it is acceptable to build a separate structure for low income. I certainly would not want to pay $2k plus and live next to a guy collecting cans and storing them on his balcony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles