Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,415,978 times

Advertisements

Southern California Economy Not Keeping Up | Joel Kotkin

"To be sure, Los Angeles, Orange County and Riverside-San Bernardino are up somewhat from their dismal showings in past years, in part due to the housing recovery. But none did well enough to ascend even to mediocrity. Yet, of 66 regions with more than 450,000 jobs, Los Angeles ranked No. 49, while Riverside-San Bernardino clocked in at No. 45, and Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine did best, with a still-less-than-middling No. 38."

This is sad for me personally. I was in the Southland during the 80s then again for a stint during the early 90s. I saw it at its best, in these regards. To see it now, brings a tear to my eye.

Even up here in the Bay, once one sets aside all the "buzz" about social media, etc, our hollowed out manufacturing is a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,567,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Southern California Economy Not Keeping Up | Joel Kotkin

"To be sure, Los Angeles, Orange County and Riverside-San Bernardino are up somewhat from their dismal showings in past years, in part due to the housing recovery. But none did well enough to ascend even to mediocrity. Yet, of 66 regions with more than 450,000 jobs, Los Angeles ranked No. 49, while Riverside-San Bernardino clocked in at No. 45, and Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine did best, with a still-less-than-middling No. 38."

This is sad for me personally. I was in the Southland during the 80s then again for a stint during the early 90s. I saw it at its best, in these regards. To see it now, brings a tear to my eye.

Even up here in the Bay, once one sets aside all the "buzz" about social media, etc, our hollowed out manufacturing is a crime.

This wistful yearning many have for the 1980’s is just brutal. Crime escalated and was drug wars became rampant. The disparity of wealth, the uncoupling of wages with productivity, our trade deficit and our dependence on foreign oil that all began to accelerate in about 1973, were only exacerbated by un-budgeted tax cuts of the Raygun era. Of course, that reality had yet to hit the unsuspecting idiots in the burbs, who were too busy snorting those tax cuts and stimulus spending known as “defense contracting” up their noses.

The early 90’s were marked by race riots, earthquakes, fire, floods and 10% unemployment in LA County, and the hallowing out of our manufacturing base began to be set in motion by the wonderful trade policies of that era. If you opposed those policies, you were called a shorted- Luddite by the D’s and a lazy trade unionist by the R’s. Eventually, everybody agreed to blame the Mexicans.

The good Old Days are now. Sucks, I know.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,084,183 times
The economy just sucks in LA, considering what a massive and busy and wealthy area it is. The pros of living and working there just really get neutralized by the cons. Wages are low, rents are pretty high, and commuting almost always sucks no matter what. A lot of it seems to be that you have a lot of very rich people who are vacuuming up all profits from the economy and not passing it on to the middle class. That is an increasing problem everywhere in the US and indeed anywhere in the developed world these days, but I think it's exacerbated by the highish rents in LA. In other wealthy areas like the Bay Area and NYC there's a decent amount of actual trickle down where average office workers can make a decent income (good luck to them affording a decent car or buying a house though)...in LA this doesn't really seem to exist in this current recession. Wasn't long ago I saw an ad on craigslist for a paralegal position in LA paying $8 an hour...oh yeah and you had to speak Spanish!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,870,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
The economy just sucks in LA, considering what a massive and busy and wealthy area it is. The pros of living and working there just really get neutralized by the cons. Wages are low, rents are pretty high, and commuting almost always sucks no matter what. A lot of it seems to be that you have a lot of very rich people who are vacuuming up all profits from the economy and not passing it on to the middle class. That is an increasing problem everywhere in the US and indeed anywhere in the developed world these days, but I think it's exacerbated by the highish rents in LA. In other wealthy areas like the Bay Area and NYC there's a decent amount of actual trickle down where average office workers can make a decent income (good luck to them affording a decent car or buying a house though)...in LA this doesn't really seem to exist in this current recession. Wasn't long ago I saw an ad on craigslist for a paralegal position in LA paying $8 an hour...oh yeah and you had to speak Spanish!
Don't we have among the lowest commute times?

This is a ton of conjecture and hyperbole. And isn't 8/hr under the minimum wage? The economy is pretty bad here, but this is over-the-top.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM

199 posts, read 400,831 times
Blame the state government. Who the hell keeps re-electing Feinstein and why? What has she done for California that an aspiring poli-sci major from a local community college couldn't have done? Is there really no one better for the job than the dolts that keep getting re-elected. Feinstein, Boxer, Brown, etc.? The state and, by extension, the City of LA have been turning to crap ever since they came into office, yet somehow we're too stupid or lazy or corrupt or whatever it is as Californians to say enough is enough and give ANYBODY else a shot at righting this sinking ship.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,567,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Blame the state government. Who the hell keeps re-electing Feinstein and why? What has she done for California that an aspiring poli-sci major from a local community college couldn't have done? Is there really no one better for the job than the dolts that keep getting re-elected. Feinstein, Boxer, Brown, etc.? The state and, by extension, the City of LA have been turning to crap ever since they came into office, yet somehow we're too stupid or lazy or corrupt or whatever it is as Californians to say enough is enough and give ANYBODY else a shot at righting this sinking ship.
Right on! Lets recall Brown and replace him with Vin Diesel.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Right on! Lets recall Brown and replace him with Vin Diesel.
Honestly, what has Jerry Brown done that couldn't have been done by just about anyone who's thrown their hat into the ring? Does Feinstein really bring so much to California that we keep re-electing her? If so, what? I've yet to see it.

How about we elect some folks who have actually accomplished something worthwhile in life, instead of lifelong politicians who know nothing in life except how to read poll numbers and make empty promises.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Well, that would be up to you, wouldn't it, as an LA voter? Who have you been voting in for mayor? And fyi, the last Governator was a Republican, and he was in for 2 terms. So who is it you're having a problem with? The Repubs? The Dems? Or are you just ranting in general? AFAIK, the initiatives that have hamstrung the state budget through several administrations were launched and voted in by the people, not by legislators (Prop 13, for one). So much for the wisdom of the CC Poly Sci student, et al.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, that would be up to you, wouldn't it, as an LA voter? Who have you been voting in for mayor? And fyi, the last Governator was a Republican, and he was in for 2 terms. So who is it you're having a problem with? The Repubs? The Dems? Or are you just ranting in general? AFAIK, the initiatives that have hamstrung the state budget through several administrations were launched and voted in by the people, not by legislators (Prop 13, for one). So much for the wisdom of the CC Poly Sci student, et al.
Who was I given the choice to vote for? Garcetti or Gruel (or whatever her name is). To me, that's not a choice. That's like me telling you "You can eat anything you want, as long as it's either mutton or taco meat." Well, that's not a real choice, it's the illusion of a choice. The 2 party system is destroying this country. People can't see anything outside of the lens of Republican/Democrat, Conservative/Liberal. People have allowed their political intelligence to be retarded to that of a child. No one thinks about issues any more, they just choose colors.

Give me ANYONE that's going to build opportunities for people to work hard and be rewarded for it. Unfortunately, none of us will ever see a candidate like that.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,084,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Don't we have among the lowest commute times?

This is a ton of conjecture and hyperbole. And isn't 8/hr under the minimum wage? The economy is pretty bad here, but this is over-the-top.
Conjecture and hyperbole based on my actual experience trying to find a basic office job in LA. Or you could just read the article in OP's post if you want a different take on my argument. I think he's too big picture though, and it's silly for people like him to still obsess over an LA aerospace industry that has been dead for 20 years.

And the lowest commute times compared with what, Mars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles