Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

You might want to think about the idea of living in la , personally I'd rather live somewhere else if I needed to live with a bunch of roommates

There are a lot of desperate people though that think la is the only place they can live on planet earth , so they struggle and do it.

You'd probably do better renting a room but $500 is low even to rent a room . Check on Craigslist .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You might want to think about the idea of living in la , personally I'd rather live somewhere else if I needed to live with a bunch of roommates

There are a lot of desperate people though that think la is the only place they can live on planet earth , so they struggle and do it.

You'd probably do better renting a room but $500 is low even to rent a room . Check on Craigslist .
You can live pretty much anywhere in America with roommates on 500-700 for rent. But you're right, just like NYC, LA has that "must be here" appeal.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You can live pretty much anywhere in America with roommates on 500-700 for rent. But you're right, just like NYC, LA has that "must be here" appeal.
I don't get why anyone "must be here". If I wasn't a native I'd probably be content in my home town/city, as long as it had at least 250k people or so.

Common roommate arrangements I see among broke kids in desirable areas like West Hollywood or West LA:

3 in a one bedroom costing around 1600. Two share the bedroom, one on couch in living room. They each pay around 500-600

4 in a two bedroom, two bath costing around 2200. Two in each room. Each pay 500-600

2 in a studio. Each pay 600.

Or if you're lucky, one guy paying 600 to rent a room in a large house.

These are all VERY common living arrangements.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
If you go to The Valley or east of the city finding a nice, safe, quiet studio for $650ish is doable. I found several in Alhambra, El Monte, and Valley Village when I was researching LA.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I don't get why anyone "must be here". If I wasn't a native I'd probably be content in my home town/city, as long as it had at least 250k people or so.

Common roommate arrangements I see among broke kids in desirable areas like West Hollywood or West LA:

3 in a one bedroom costing around 1600. Two share the bedroom, one on couch in living room. They each pay around 500-600

4 in a two bedroom, two bath costing around 2200. Two in each room. Each pay 500-600

2 in a studio. Each pay 600.

Or if you're lucky, one guy paying 600 to rent a room in a large house.

These are all VERY common living arrangements.
I know what you mean. And I don't disagree with you. I was just responding to jm's comment that so many people think they must be here. Of course nobody has to be here, but some cities do have that lure and appeal.

Those roommate situations you mentioned sadly do happen. It's all about how bad someone wants to be here despite the high COL.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM

113 posts, read 196,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
In most of the country, you could have your own 1 (or maybe even 2, depending on the city) bedroom apartment for $500-$700 per month. But probably not anywhere on the coasts.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrecle View Post
In most of the country, you could have your own 1 (or maybe even 2, depending on the city) bedroom apartment for $500-$700 per month. But probably not anywhere on the coasts.
There are many places where you can actually buy a condo or even a house with 500-700 month.

I shared a studio in college with a roommate and that experience probably turned me off to living with roommates . I guess it could work out for some people but it usually seems to be an uncomfortable situation. I guess I like my own space and privacy too much..

Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There are many places where you can actually buy a condo or even a house with 500-700 month.

I shared a studio in college with a roommate and that experience probably turned me off to living with roommates . I guess it could work out for some people but it usually seems to be an uncomfortable situation. I guess I like my own space and privacy too much..
Well 1 roommate isn't so bad, you each have your side of the apartment. But yeah, the roommate situations described above are not ideal.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 PM

106 posts, read 171,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

But you ARE a native... So... It's impossible for you to "get it"

If you had to grow up in Knoxville, TN or Fort Wayne, IN or Tulsa, OK or Corinth, Mississippi? You would understand the feeling of never having experienced the things that most of you natives take for granted. People from these areas aren't stupid by any means. Some of them know damn well they will, in all likelihood, fail in LA. But it doesn't matter. Sometimes there's nothing a person can tell you, such as "I was born and raised here" or "You might want to think about some other place that's just as good for much less money" that will deter someone who has their mind made up.

LA and NY will attract these types like no other cities in the US. Fact. And there is nothing that will change about it. Personally, I love what these people bring, and is a major part of the appeal for me of Los Angeles.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times
Try Jordon Downs but they are "apartments"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles