Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,099 times

Advertisements

My fiance recently resigned from his job here in Okla. We are making plans to sell EVERYTHING and drive to Los Angeles area and start an entire new life. Im just worried about a culture shock & finding a way to make a living. (He has a bach degree in electronics, but doesnt want to work in the same field anymore) - I worry that we might end up being beach bums or something... Is this idea realistic??? We will probably only have a few hundred dollars when we arrive there in LA... Scary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM

292 posts, read 725,621 times
California is a place where you only move to if you have a job. Even in San Diego when I was there you had a plethora of people wanting to "live" there with no education or contacts. Most ended up leaving within 6 months due to the high cost of living. If you stick around being broke you will end up being one of the many homeless living in a van or rv very quickly. I'm just trying to be honest. Despite the mini boom in real estate if you ask the average person who has a job how things are most are just barely making it. Needless to say, when my opportunities started drying up, I relocated to another state for something more stable financially and to ride out the recession. I'm not saying I won't ever try to return to the west coast, but only when there's a decent opportunity waiting for me.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:36 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
So, your just going to be living where?

Edit: Moving to any city without a job is stupid, especially when you don't have much money

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Look at the bright side. It isn't all that cold at night, so the discarded refrigerator box you'll be sleeping in on the sidewalk at night should suffice.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM

15 posts, read 18,925 times
I moved to San Diego from South Carolina without a job, and then three years later moved to Los Angeles without anything lined up and found something right away. It's entirely possible to move to Los Angeles without having a job lined up and succeed. But you do have to really want it, and put the effort in. There are a million people here looking for jobs, so you have to take that into consideration. It's ridiculous to expect everyone to stay where they are just because trying something new might be difficult. Life is difficult no matter where you are - might as well be somewhere you enjoy being.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:11 PM

252 posts, read 519,250 times
i know a lot people that move to this town from all over the country without a job here that want to become movie stars because i work for charity in malibu they usually come for help because they have become homeless ... i know hundreds of them they were not prepared for the move. they had drug issues ,broken families , they didn't have skills , education, training , ect its really sad.... I would say Don't do it until you get a solid job offer. THe economy is not is the best shape but . Its not a horrible idea but it's not a best idea. You'll probably be ok with college degree though if you don't have alot of issues with money or drugs or mental health but if you do , don't come here. As for culture shock you will get that its depends what your values are though. THis town can be pretty lonely too when you don't know anybody , people in LA are really reserved and guarded because there are so many creeps and users per square mile (but that seediness comes with any big city). ON the good side LA has great weather and theres a lot to do.

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 02-05-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Hope your car is comfortable, as you may have to live in it until you get something. Just park in a safe area. Best of luck.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM

113 posts, read 196,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippn View Post
I moved to San Diego from South Carolina without a job, and then three years later moved to Los Angeles without anything lined up and found something right away. It's entirely possible to move to Los Angeles without having a job lined up and succeed. But you do have to really want it, and put the effort in. There are a million people here looking for jobs, so you have to take that into consideration. It's ridiculous to expect everyone to stay where they are just because trying something new might be difficult. Life is difficult no matter where you are - might as well be somewhere you enjoy being.
No one is saying that people shouldn't try someplace new because it's difficult, but you shouldn't move anywhere without a way to support yourself. It's very easy nowadays to look for jobs from across the country, especially if it's not a minimum wage job. Once you get a job offer, then you move.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippn View Post
I agree with you. Though, to be fair to posters who warn others-some people do seem to not realize what's in store for them and are not prepared to pound the pavement or have the right attitude. Depends on the person. But, I completely agree that there are times and circumstances where one needs to take a risk that others would never take. Not everyone can have their lives planned to a T with a ton of savings.

That said, I don't think it's wise to come with only a few hundred dollars, OP. Unless you know someone who will let you stay with them for awhile? Then again, fortunes have been made with smaller investments than that...so it's your call, really. I'd save more first.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
i know a lot people that move to this town from all over the country without a job here that want to become movie stars because i work for charity in malibu they usually come for help because they have become homeless ... i know hundreds of them they were not prepared for the move. they had drug issues ,broken families , they didn't have skills , education, training , ect its really sad.... I would say Don't do it until you get a solid job offer. THe economy is not is the best shape but . Its not a horrible idea but it's not a best idea. You'll probably be ok with college degree though if you don't have alot of issues with money or drugs or mental health but if you do , don't come here. As for culture shock you will get that its depends what your values are though. THis town can be pretty lonely too when you don't know anybody , people in LA are really reserved and guarded because there are so many creeps and users per square mile (but that seediness comes with any big city). ON the good side LA has great weather and theres a lot to do.
Good insights and advice!
LA is particularly heavy on the 'creeps and users', precisely, I think, because it's a place where people come to be 'on the make' for their fortune (entertainment industry, modeling, whatever...) and the next big deal. AND b/c the people they prey on also came to do the same and will sell themselves for the opportunity. San Diego, a couple of hours south, for examle, isn't like this at all, really. Miami is similar to LA in that 'I'm on the make' vibe. SD doesn't really have that-you can ask someone a question or be asked a question and feel like the person wants something from you. [Not everyone in LA, obviously...but that vibe is strong there, I agree.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles