Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 10,422 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move to Los Angeles from Charlotte, NC. A lot of people who I discuss this with is either all for it or completely against it. I am a single mother just shy of 30, and I just feel like I want to do something different with my life. I am doing my research on the transition from Charlotte, to LA and I though the cost of living in California in general is higher than NC I am still drawn. I'm not sure though, if I want California to be a permanent move, and that is what scares me because I do have a child. While I think that a different environment and meeting new people could be great for her and she is still young enough to adjust, I don't want to move to California not like it, and have to uproot her all over again. I am currently looking for jobs in the Los Angeles and San Diego area. I am a licensed insurance professional with multiple licenses and a degree, and while I am able to live comfortably here in Charlotte, I'm just not certain if that will be the case in California. I want to make this move more than anything for myself because I don't want to look back one day and regret not going. All my family and friends are on the east coast and I only have a few distant family members in California, so moving there will mean I will be alone with my daughter!!! I'm anxious and worried, but most of all I am ready to just go. I want to leave my heart isn't in this state anymore, but being a responsible parent I just am not sure if it is the best move even though I really want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Have you ever visited Los Angeles? If you haven't, I suggest doing that before making any decisions.

I understand the want and urge to move from somewhere you're not particularly fond of. At the same time, it wouldn't be wise to move here from North Carolina if you know you won't be financially stable. It sounds like you're really nervous about moving here. What about relocating somewhere closer to home?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Visit LA for-I'd say, 2 weeks-before moving there. It's a great city, the best in the USA in my opinion. But it could be a culture shock if you don't take the appropriate precautions.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 AM

theraven24 I've visited in the sense of going to Disneyland. I haven't made any real visits to truly explore the city just yet.

As far as the financial situation I have money saved to move and to cover my expenses for a few months, but I wouldn't dare move off of that alone. As badly as I want to go I won't go without a job lined up 1st. The company that I work with now is based there as well, and they offer the opportunity to transfer, but I kind of feel like if I go then I may not want to do something different. I almost feel like it would have been better if I was one of the thousands chasing a dream to be discovered, but instead I just want something different. I have considered moving closer to home, but I've been up and down the east coast and much of it is the same or too cold.

Being a parent I won't just up and leave unless I am financially capable of the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Have you ever visited Los Angeles? If you haven't, I suggest doing that before making any decisions.

I understand the want and urge to move from somewhere you're not particularly fond of. At the same time, it wouldn't be wise to move here from North Carolina if you know you won't be financially stable. It sounds like you're really nervous about moving here. What about relocating somewhere closer to home?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 AM

Hawaii4evr the cultural differences is one of the reasons I want to go. I honestly don't think I will want to live there for longer than 2 years though. I don't know maybe I will love it once I'm there and never want to leave. I actually plan on visiting frequently over the next few months to make sure that it is the best fit for me. I will also visit other cities in California just to get an idea if that is truly where I want to be. I must saw though that the recent earthquakes have me concerned.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Just a quick side note, Disneyland is in Anaheim (Orange County), not Los Angeles.

If you only think you'll stay two years... I don't think I would do it. That is a big move, and only staying two years would feel like a waste to me. You should definitely do some more visiting. Spending all that money to move and get settled in, just to live here for two years, sounds like a waste of time for me. Definitely do some more research.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCali_girl246 View Post
I'm not sure though, if I want California to be a permanent move, and that is what scares me because I do have a child.

I want to make this move more than anything for myself because I don't want to look back one day and regret not going.

All my family and friends are on the east coast and I only have a few distant family members in California, so moving there will mean I will be alone with my daughter!!!

but being a responsible parent I just am not sure if it is the best move even though I really want to go.

I honestly don't think I will want to live there for longer than 2 years though.
Tell your daughter that you guys are taking a two year vacation to California.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
What other cities in California are you visiting? San Diego and San Francisco?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Of course those 2 but also Fresno, San Jose, Bakersfield, Sacramento etc

Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCali_girl246 View Post
Of course those 2 but also Fresno, San Jose, Bakersfield, Sacramento etc
Needless to say, the only thing those cities have in common is they're all in California.

If you're serious, you really need to get out here and take a good look around.

Just realistically, you ought to concentrate on places where you're most likely to find a job in your profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles