Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatUnwashed View Post
There was never a race issue per se. The Koreans just guarded their businesses with extreme force because the government couldn't do it.
There was no more reason to guard them than anywhere else in the city. Racism and profiling fueled the tension. You don't move into and set up business in an area, treat the locals like they're inferior and expect peace. That is rude and extremely poor business practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,826,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
btw, am i the only one who's sick of these race-baiting threads? even when created with sincere intentions, the only thing they end up accomplishing is to induce the bigoted members of the CD peanut gallery to come crawling out from under their rocks.
My intent was not to bait, genuinely curious. Like I said, I was hoping that the answer would be no, but it seems that answer is not unanimous.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,495,443 times
I think things have changed quite a bit. 1992 was a while back of course.

I think these days you see Koreans and other asian groups actually embracing what used to be thought of as black or urban culture.

When you think of people like Roy Choi (of Kogi Truck fame) About Chef Roy - Kogi BBQ Taco Truck & Catering
He grew up around Hip Hop /Low Rider culture

With the internet too I think there is more of an understanding and opening up of cultures in way. I also think that you see people vent their frustrations online now more via Twitter, Facebook,etc while before they might have taken to the streets with violence. Although we had some rowdy/violent protests in L.A after the Trayvon Martin verdict..I think things would definitely have been worse back in 1992. The gangs were also worse back in that era before LAPD cracked down and started gang injunctions ,etc.

I would like to think there is less ignorance now versus 1992, although there is definitely still too much even in a place like L.A

Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think things have changed quite a bit. 1992 was a while back of course.

I think these days you see Koreans and other asian groups actually embracing what used to be thought of as black or urban culture.

When you think of people like Roy Choi (of Kogi Truck fame) About Chef Roy - Kogi BBQ Taco Truck & Catering
He grew up around Hip Hop /Low Rider culture

With the internet too I think there is more of an understanding and opening up of cultures in way. I also think that you see people vent their frustrations online now more via Twitter, Facebook,etc while before they might have taken to the streets with violence. Although we had some rowdy/violent protests in L.A after the Trayvon Martin verdict..I think things would definitely have been worse back in 1992. The gangs were also worse back in that era before LAPD cracked down and started gang injunctions ,etc.

I would like to think there is less ignorance now versus 1992, although there is definitely still too much even in a place like L.A
Yes, of course back in 1992 the Koreans were less integrated, but even in the documentary there were some Koreans in their 20s who have American accents.etc who were pretty integrated. it was mostly their parents i suppose. Now they are about their parents' age, Koreans in the States have become a lot more integrated/Americanised, and no doubt many have embraced African American culture.

How often does one see black people in Koreatown these days? Do you see many eating Korean BBQ and stuff? What about Koreans in say soul food joints?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,832,842 times
I am black, I have a Korean friend, I've been to K-Town, I know what kimchi is.

/end stupid thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I am black, I have a Korean friend, I've been to K-Town, I know what kimchi is.

/end stupid thread
What's so stupid about asking a serious question? I don't live in LA, I have no idea, so I'm asking about it, and also to get other peoples' opinions experiences. If they mostly get along well that's great to hear.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,832,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What's so stupid about asking a serious question? I don't live in LA, I have no idea, so I'm asking about it, and also to get other peoples' opinions experiences. If they mostly get along well that's great to hear.
It displays your ignorance. The correlation between whether or not a black guy hangs out in Koreatown and there being racial tensions between the two races is extremely weak. A black guy can eat kimchi in K-town with racial tensions high and he could not. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Your initial questions seemed curious, your follow up questions show stupidity. So when you suggest something so ridiculously silly, I roll my eyes at the race-bait you're unintentionally causing. Racial tensions exist everywhere. It's not some exclusive phenomenon distinct to Los Angeles.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 AM

671 posts, read 1,192,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I don't think you know many Korean Americans.

Also, if you think K-town is less popular than Chinatown, maybe you should actually go visit it. Get some kbbq, plenty of soju, and try some noraebang.
Not less popular, less welcoming and what they build for themselves on Olympic and Wilshire, others need not apply. And this is admitted by Korean/Americans I know. Believe me, I've friends from different Asian cultures and nations, and they all have some unflattering things to say about each other.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:42 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,423,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
There was no more reason to guard them than anywhere else in the city. Racism and profiling fueled the tension. You don't move into and set up business in an area, treat the locals like they're inferior and expect peace. That is rude and extremely poor business practice.
+1

I used to live off normandie and 9th, I know this at too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Not less popular, less welcoming and what they build for themselves on Olympic and Wilshire, others need not apply. And this is admitted by Korean/Americans I know. Believe me, I've friends from different Asian cultures and nations, and they all have some unflattering things to say about each other.
very true.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:12 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,146,175 times
Disclaimer: This is my experience, so please do not jump down my throat.

Being that I am of Both Black and Korean heritage, I have found that if there are any tensions between these groups is due to a culture difference and language barrier magnified with a lack or willingness to understand. I have especially found older Koreans that immigrated from South Korea are less welcoming of my particular racial mixture and of their children/grandchildren dating or marrying a Black person. When I looked at it this way, I did not take rude comments about being Black personally. I know this is only because they simply do not know or perhaps they had a few bad experiences.

I do get double takes in K-town because it is obvious I look different. Older Korean women will have no issue staring very hard lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles