Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM

367 posts, read 673,200 times

Advertisements

People who can afford to drive will go car free if it's convenient. Santa Monica will have rail in a few years that is really only going to shuttle these people between downtown, USC, and samo. Car free developments should be going up in Hollywood, ktown and downtown. Our system is not yet comprehensive enough for Santa Monica to be an urban, transit-reliant zone. The nearest rail transfer is a stop away from its eastern terminus and people living in a shiny new construction condo in Samo sure as hell wouldn't ride the bus.

However, The Crenshaw line to Hollywood or even Wilshire will be a massive game changer. The connectivity will give tremendous value to the Expo as it will be our best way to move east-west during trafficked hours for far more people.But, until then, it's only situationally useful to the Santa Monica resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Be careful what you wish for when it comes to permit zones. My brother's block in Hollywood went to permit parking and now it can be almost impossible for visitors (like me) to find parking after 6pm. I won't rent an apartment in Santa Monica that doesn't come with an assigned parking spot.

With parking in Santa Monica I quickly learned to READ THE SIGNS and realize the metered spots have detectors in the ground so you WILL get a ticket if your meter runs out or you park there when you shouldn't be there.
It's not an ideal situation but residents should have priority over visitors. Just meet your brother at a restaurant or something. Or God forbid park a few blocks away where there are meters and walk over.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:24 AM

497 posts, read 1,504,154 times
I park in Santa Monica all the time. It's never a hassle to find parking.

You can park in the northern section of Santa Monica for free (that's really what you want right?)

You can park downtown in several public structures and there are several private structures that charge an all day or night rate for secure covered parking...I usually am down there in the evenings and, at most, its about $10.00 if I don't feel like walking. If you can handle a 10-15 minute walk, there is a boatload of free parking and it's away from the downtown gridlock traffic.

Also, there is a huge parking lot by the courthouse which offers 90 minutes free parking...Its a 5 minute walk to the promenade area.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
^Also most, if not all, metered spots are free after 6-7pm in Santa Monica. Just read the signs to be sure.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:58 PM

37 posts, read 47,868 times
I'm so glad this is a topic. Aside for the fact that it's a pain to get out of Santa Monica, the parking situation is absolutely horrendous. The last time we went it took us a half hour to reach the parking garage from the expressway which was probably a half mile away and then - And I'm not embellishing here - it took us another 30 minutes after entering the garage to find a parking space. By the time I reached that space I was just enraged.

I don't understand the draw unless it's all tourism because I knew the first time I went there that I had no desire to go back. My idea of fun isn't spending 3 hours in a car when I'm a mile from my destination.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
Santa Monica is a tourist trap, especially the remodeled SM Place. It really doesn't have an active bar/club scene and the eats are the typical Cal-Med-Italian fare that was popular 20 yrs ago. Which is fine if you're in that older demographic, but SM isn't a trendy destination spot, other than the beach or Pier. btw, I always find easy parking in the underground structure of the Main Library on 7th & SM Blvd. You can also see real-time availability at public lots with the ParkMe app, which is pretty convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles