Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.diddy View Post
**** I hate these threads Lol. You can ride through bad parts of town you won't get shot and killed. Idk if its TV or the media that has made people think if you ride in a urban part of the city its gonna go downhill and you'll die. You will be fineeeee.
Might do the world a solid intelligence wise, if they weren't fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 PM

926 posts, read 979,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
If you aren't in a gang then you'll have zero problems.
the gangs usually dont just shoot anyone like crazy, but i dont think it is zero. you can still hit by stray bullet if you are in a wrong place wrong time.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:08 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Pfft!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Also, I hear Cudahy is lovely this time of the year...
Cudahy is lovely ANYTIME of the year!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 PM

64 posts, read 99,221 times
Go to Tenderloin in San Francisco or anywhere in Las Vegas outside strip. There are the real west cost ghettos nowadays.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I know. I felt weird asking this... Its just the image painted by media and this board is that its really bad,

I rather ask than regret
I sometimes think the media is paid off by the Chambers of Commerce of competing cities, to exaggerate the dangers, to get you to spend your tourist dollars in the cities paying off the media. No?

I recently did one of these curiosity trips, took public buses throughout South Central, just to see for myself, only to realize later, a good many South Centralites have relocated to the far eastern side of L.A., like Rialto/Hesperia/Victorville.

Another trip, earlier this year, I took the Gold Line out to East L.A., recalling all the movies that were made, long ago, out of East L.A., and? Where did they all relocate? The Asians chased them out of there?

A car-jacking, mugging can happen anywhere! Even in the most boring beachside community like Santa Monica!

If I were going to mug someone, I'd get on the L.A. forum, and if the consensus said: You'll be the safest in Pasadena or Glendale, that's where I'd head for to do my muggings, a city where the tourists drop their guards!

Old 07-31-2014, 01:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I hear Roscoe's chicken and waffles is popular. You seem really sheltered to want to go out of the way to see the hood.

Roscoe's is hella good but it ain't no gussies in SF

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,207 times
OH I SEE ... WE GOT A TROLL HERE! Don't even respond, you know maybe there are a lot of nice people on here waisting their time taking you serious and that's not cool! However you don't fool me I am an admin for LA Facebook pages I have 350K plus people I deal with. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY NOR ARE YOU REMOTELY AMUSING! You probably live in LA judging from all your ''areas'' Crenshaw between 40th and 100th REALLY? ... I went to school in Pacoima and am very familiar with all the areas you listed! THIS PERSON IS A TROLL AND THEY LISTED THE TOP AREAS FOR CRIME IN THE SOUTHLAND HOW DOES ANYONE FALL FOR THIS MALARKEY IT'S NO COINCIDENCE

Old 01-22-2015, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
No, you will not get shot.See above. You're talking about a LOT of communities under one umbrella.Why would you be shot for just riding by, especially on major thoroughfares? How often do you hear of this happening that you are THAT concerned?Oh, for f$%&'s sake... Seriously? This isn't Lagos you're visiting.
Totally agree with you on that one. I grew up in Laguna Beach, but would go to LA all of the time, and ran out of gas in Inglewood (or somewhere close to it) once at about 2am. A very nice man came out of his house and helped me get some gas out of his garage and into my tank. He did reprimand me for not paying attention to my gas gauge and for being by myself in a not so great area, but I don't think I was really in danger. Would I run out of gas that late at night again? No, but I live in Houston now, and the hood is way worse here than it is in LA, IMO. However, people actually help each other in the hood, I have to say. It's amazing how many people will ignore someone with a flat tire, or an empty tank of gas, because of fear. In supposedly "safe" neighborhoods. That being said, I'm not sure why the OP would want to look-see at bad areas. Partake in misery without helping? That just makes me mad.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:41 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
We are coming from NYC and understand that some ( or most) of these areas are very poverty stricken and are avoided by many.

I just want to know if anyone has any tips or advice for us, We will be driving and just kinda wanna see how these "hoods" are. We wont be wearing any blue or red incase we decide to walk around.

We are obviously also visiting the nice areas of the LA area but we have that covered already.

Areas we will plan on visiting as well are:

The Valley - Panorama city, Arleta, Van Nuys , Pacoima, N. Hollywood, & Reseda
South Central
East LA
NE LA - alhambra city, City Terrace, lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights, El Sereno
Leimert Park

Also plan on riding down Crenshaw Blvd. from 40th to about 100th st.

We dont want to get shot for just riding by...any areas we should absolutely avoid ??

We are not white and wont stand out. Just wanna peep the architecture, housing stock, locals, commercial areas, and overall feel of these areas
I think you've been horribly mislead. Of all the areas you've mentioned, only the Crenshaw district would be a caution. I was working on Crenshaw and 104th one day (I was a contractor) and witnessed a gang shooting at the moment it was happening, so I'd be cautious in that area. The rest are pretty decent, especially during daylight hours.

If you had said Compton Blvd and Wilmington... I would have shuddered a bit.

I'm curious... have our "ghetto" areas become a tourist attraction?

Last edited by steven_h; 01-22-2015 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles