Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 PM

11 posts, read 39,206 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from another part of the country to LA and got a relocation package? What are typical. It seems it will require a substantial package to be able to afford the huge home price differential between LA and the rest of the country.

Any advice as to what is a typical package and how they negotiated it would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 AM

119 posts, read 716,600 times
relocation is meant to cover moving expenses and the cost of finding housing, not to cover differences in cost of housing.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 39,206 times
Then how can anyone from another part of the country move to LA? A 3000 sq ft house in gthe best community in Metro Detroit cost less than an 800 sq ft house in the hood in LA. Soemthings got to give. If you havent enjoyed the run up in equity by lilving in LA you simply cant afford housing and therefore employers in LA can only hire from within. Seems a bit limiting.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM

119 posts, read 716,600 times
that's the unfortunate thing. however, detroit and LA are probably at the 2 extremes in terms of housing costs but usually jobs in LA should pay more than similar jobs in detroit (or any other lower cost of living city) so in theory the higher salary should make up some of the difference in housing costs but it doesn't really ever seem to. i would look to rent first while you get the lay of the land and check out diff areas.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan View Post
Then how can anyone from another part of the country move to LA? A 3000 sq ft house in gthe best community in Metro Detroit cost less than an 800 sq ft house in the hood in LA. Soemthings got to give. If you havent enjoyed the run up in equity by lilving in LA you simply cant afford housing and therefore employers in LA can only hire from within. Seems a bit limiting.
it's the most populous state in the union. furthermore, there are lots of people willing to move here even when they can't afford it in the hope that they'll make it doing whatever it is they do, because it usually pays more to do it here. it isn't limiting at all. employers who can't find the workforce they need in CA generally can't find it any place in the country, and have to hire and bring in foreigners.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Quote:
Has anyone moved from another part of the country to LA and got a relocation package? What are typical. It seems it will require a substantial package to be able to afford the huge home price differential between LA and the rest of the country.

Any advice as to what is a typical package and how they negotiated it would be appreciated.
It can depend on your company and how deep its pockets are, your line of work, your position, and compensation level. Over the course of my career, I've had relocation packages as low as $5000 to as high as $20K plus.

Basically, you need money to relocate. That mostly means money to look for housing (airfare, hotel, car, meals, fees, etc.), money for down payment on an apartment, short term corporate housing (if necessary), money for the moving company, money to physically move yourself and your family (e.g. airfare).

I am relocating back to LA myself, and was looking at apartments over the weekend. One place I looked at wants 1st, last, and security that amounts to three months rent. The rent was about $3150, so you are looking at nearly $10K just to sign the lease for some places.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I am relocating back to LA myself, and was looking at apartments over the weekend. One place I looked at wants 1st, last, and security that amounts to three months rent. The rent was about $3150, so you are looking at nearly $10K just to sign the lease for some places.
I always understood that it was illegal in CA to ask for 1st, last and deposit.
But the way the law works now is they would just tell you not to rent from them if you do not like it.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I always understood that it was illegal in CA to ask for 1st, last and deposit.
But the way the law works now is they would just tell you not to rent from them if you do not like it.
Really? I'll have to look that one up or if you have a link, please provide it. I can use that as my trump card in my negotiations.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Quote:
My last one was up to $3000 in expenses covered, receipts required. No negotiation.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Really? I'll have to look that one up or if you have a link, please provide it. I can use that as my trump card in my negotiations.
I do not have a link for that, it may be a county code as well. There are southern CA laws that are not used in the north.

The downside is I understand there is no limit on a security deposit, so it would be in your favor if it was worded as a last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles