Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

I had made some posts prior asking questions and now my trip is completed. I flew into LAX on Thursday July 31st and left the following Thursday. Stayed in West Hollywood off Sunset Blvd so I got a good feel for Sunset Blvd since I drove down both directions a lot to get to certain destinations.

Drove to SD on Friday and got a great experience of the Pacific Ocean. Stopped on one area and a lot of squirrels came out from the cliff and up to tourist feeding them. Pretty neat to see. Went to a Padres/Braves game that night to see the stadium and also a stadium tour. Driving back was long but overall worth it.

Next 4 days did various things around LA. Beverly Hills, Griffith Observatory, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, Downtown area, Sports Nation set for ESPN, Universal Stadiums for the Dodgers Clubhouse store and just walked around all the area (not the theme park). Very Beautiful there! Hard Rock Cafe, Walk of Fame, Hollywood hills/sign. Rode through some neighborhoods to see the nice homes. And just a lot of driving around exploring the city.

Traffic obviously was the only real headache and was expected. I tried to stay off the interstate as much as I could.

I took this trip primarily so my dad and I could go to Dodgers Games and we did go to 4 games at Dodger Stadium and one down to Anaheim. I got to see 2 walk offs during the games at Dodger Stadium so that was amazing. First game ever was a walk off in the rain by Hanley Ramirez HR.

The only thing on my list that I did not get to see was a trip down to Malibu. Biggest reason was A, I forgot my back up battery and charger for my digital camera! So I had to scramble and buy this at a huge camera store called Samys Camera. Nothing like forgetting one of the most important things on a trip when you plan to take so many pictures. So we had a late start to that area.

However, I really had no idea Santa Monica had so much to do so we spent a lot of time there. Venice beach had a lot of more do than I imagine as well. So much interesting things to just walk by.

But now that I'm back I really would like to go visit again sometime in the next several years and do more of the things I enjoyed. Example, actually go in the water at Venice Beach & Santa Monica and spend a day there instead of just hours. I'd probably only go to a couple Dodger games because I'd like to enjoy the night life more and walk around Hollywood Blvd more and people watch.

I also started to get the feel of the area and didn't get lost as much. I know the area I stayed in is just a small area of LA but so many streets seemed like they run for a long ways so it helps to find these streets to avoid getting lost or the wrong direction.

But wanted to say overall I enjoyed your city and it's beautiful there and if it wasn't for the traffic I'd probably move there one day Thank you for all the advice and tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:48 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I had made some posts prior asking questions and now my trip is completed.
Visiting LA soon is the thread in case anyone's wondering.

Quote:
I took this trip primarily so my dad and I could go to Dodgers Games and we did go to 4 games at Dodger Stadium and one down to Anaheim. I got to see 2 walk offs during the games at Dodger Stadium so that was amazing. First game ever was a walk off in the rain by Hanley Ramirez HR.
Summer rain in LA is more rare than a no-hitter (which occurs about twice a year).

Quote:
I also started to get the feel of the area and didn't get lost as much. I know the area I stayed in is just a small area of LA but so many streets seemed like they run for a long ways so it helps to find these streets to avoid getting lost or the wrong direction.
Fortunately, most of the metro is laid out in a grid.

Quote:
But wanted to say overall I enjoyed your city and it's beautiful there and if it wasn't for the traffic I'd probably move there one day Thank you for all the advice and tips.
Thanks for writing a detailed (and well formatted) follow-up to your visit--it's always nice to read what happened, the good and the bad.

I'm curious, did the Sports Museum of LA ever show any signs of life?

Glad you and your dad had a nice trip.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

I'm curious, did the Sports Museum of LA ever show any signs of life?

Glad you and your dad had a nice trip.
I never really pursued this outside of an e-mail I sent which never got a response. Honestly, looking back it's not a big deal because it probably would have meant spending a couple hours in a museum which would mean 2 less hours out and about. I am happy with pretty much everything we did and would not want to change anything.

I meant to ask about Malibu. Is this worth the trip out there? I know it's a beautiful beach but what I really liked about Santa Monica and Venice is the area itself. I'm not sure if Malibu has this kind of experience. So besides seeing a beautiful beach is the drive out to Malibu worth it?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
I never really pursued this outside of an e-mail I sent which never got a response. Honestly, looking back it's not a big deal because it probably would have meant spending a couple hours in a museum which would mean 2 less hours out and about. I am happy with pretty much everything we did and would not want to change anything.

I meant to ask about Malibu. Is this worth the trip out there? I know it's a beautiful beach but what I really liked about Santa Monica and Venice is the area itself. I'm not sure if Malibu has this kind of experience. So besides seeing a beautiful beach is the drive out to Malibu worth it?
Malibu is pretty much all beauty. It would be insane to discourage someone from seeing Malibu cuz the views are beyond words. You have hiking trails right off the PCH where you can see all the way to Venice Beach and beyond as you climb in elevation.

It's nothing like SM or VB but awesome in its own way. Inland Malibu has some more parks, a wine safari (not my thing) and more twisty, curvy canyons to view.

If you don't want to drive there is a bus that takes you from the SM Pier to I believe as far north as Zuma Beach. The 534 I wanna say. Been awhile. It's pretty cheap too.

Edit: There's also the Getty Villa and Malibu Lagoon Museum. Only been to the museum. It's ok.

Another thing to note is that the Malibu beaches are generally less crowded than SM and VB.

Last edited by No_Recess; 08-11-2014 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: Forgot stuff

Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Malibu is pretty much all beauty. It would be insane to discourage someone from seeing Malibu cuz the views are beyond words. You have hiking trails right off the PCH where you can see all the way to Venice Beach and beyond as you climb in elevation.

It's nothing like SM or VB but awesome in its own way. Inland Malibu has some more parks, a wine safari (not my thing) and more twisty, curvy canyons to view.

If you don't want to drive there is a bus that takes you from the SM Pier to I believe as far north as Zuma Beach. The 534 I wanna say. Been awhile. It's pretty cheap too.
Sounds like a good enough reason to visit for me! Thanks

Old 08-11-2014, 12:16 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Sounds like a good enough reason to visit for me! Thanks
No problem.

I'm pretty confident that Malibu's beauty is enough to offset the non-SM/VB vibe. I love all 3. A time restraint is an acceptable excuse though.

Where are you originally from if I may ask?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times
missing malibu is not a big deal, not much to do over there anyways

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 9,930 times
I'm heading to LA next month and want to see may of the tourist sites you mentioned. Wanted to stay in Hollywood to take advantage of the tour buses and metro since I wont be renting a car until my last day....

Where did you stay in West Hollywood? Also did you take in any nightlife?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautilusB View Post
I'm heading to LA next month and want to see may of the tourist sites you mentioned. Wanted to stay in Hollywood to take advantage of the tour buses and metro since I wont be renting a car until my last day....

Where did you stay in West Hollywood? Also did you take in any nightlife?
I stayed in a condo that I found through the web site Airbnb. It's gaining a lot of popularity and I'll def use it again. I got a 2 bed room, 2 bathroom for about 1200 for 6 days! Awesome deal!

As far as location in West Hollywood I'm not that familiar with the area except it's a few blocks from Hardrock Cafe and right off Sunset Blvd.

It is also within walking distance of the metro (I believe).

If you want more info on the 3rd party site I went through PM me and I'll be happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles