Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 AM

18 posts, read 28,911 times

Advertisements

I am serious about this post,i am 34 years old and I really have no skills. I was born in New Jersey and i have lived in LA since 1997. because of my low income i have moved to the Mid City. i pay only $600 for a studio here but there was a thread about HUD buildings in santa monica,so i figured that maybe there could be something cheap. i am willing to go for $700 a month. there are areas of SM that are not close to the ocean,maybe there is something cheap there. the reason why i want to live in SM is because i have found a part time job on Venice boulevard about 1 mile from the ocean. there has to be something there for a cheap price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker011 View Post
I am serious about this post,i am 34 years old and I really have no skills. I was born in New Jersey and i have lived in LA since 1997. because of my low income i have moved to the Mid City. i pay only $600 for a studio here but there was a thread about HUD buildings in santa monica,so i figured that maybe there could be something cheap. i am willing to go for $700 a month. there are areas of SM that are not close to the ocean,maybe there is something cheap there. the reason why i want to live in SM is because i have found a part time job on Venice boulevard about 1 mile from the ocean. there has to be something there for a cheap price.
There isn't. Santa Monica is the most expensive community in the western USA, more expensive than anywhere else west of the Hudson River. Even Beverly Hills is cheaper.

You're not going to find anything in the LA area better than where you live now on your budget.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
No, you can't for $1000.
Friend of mine lived around a place called Clanton in Alabama and was living off that much and knew others who were.

Last edited by owl6969; 09-09-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 12:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker011 View Post
I would consider expanding your search to outside Santa Monica. You can still be somewhat nearby and visit the best that city has to offer (on your time off) without paying the exorbitant prices. The only people that I know that pay cheap rent (this is relative, and still definitely not $700 a month) have pretty much been grandfathered in through stringent rent control laws.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:46 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Friend of mine lived around a place called Clanton in Alabama and was living off that much and knew others who were.
see this is where you should be with your income level OP

Clanton Alabama.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post

Clanton Alabama.
you think its not a good place?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post

Clanton Alabama.
Does anyone else remember this from House Of Cards?!?! Big Peach Water Tower, Clanton, Alabama

What a trip! In the show they say it is in Gaffney, South Carolina...where the main character (Frank Underwood) is from.

Edit: I was wrong. Apparently, the town of Gaffney has its own Peach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peachoid Must be a southern thing....

Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Does anyone else remember this from House Of Cards?!?! Big Peach Water Tower, Clanton, Alabama

What a trip! In the show they say it is in Gaffney, South Carolina...where the main character (Frank Underwood) is from.

Edit: I was wrong. Apparently, the town of Gaffney has its own Peach Peachoid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Must be a southern thing....
yeah there's nothing wrong with that place

Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
OP, your lack of current skills doesn't mean you have to settle for part time work. Or how about getting two part time jobs?

Even with two part time min wage jobs , it will be hard to live in SM comfortably, but it's better than making $1,000.

If you do pay $600 month currently in housing ..how do you make it off $400 a month?

Is that your total income or are you getting assistance from somewhere (gov,friends, family,etc) ?

Why have you not tried to learn any skills or further your education ?

Not slamming you just trying to understand these questions in order to help.

Have you considered community college? There would probably be little to no cost with your income level.

and of course there is always money (student loans/grants) for higher education.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
OP, your lack of current skills doesn't mean you have to settle for part time work. Or how about getting two part time jobs?

Even with two part time min wage jobs , it will be hard to live in SM comfortably, but it's better than making $1,000.

If you do pay $600 month currently in housing ..how do you make it off $400 a month?

Is that your total income or are you getting assistance from somewhere (gov,friends, family,etc) ?

Why have you not tried to learn any skills or further your education ?

Not slamming you just trying to understand these questions in order to help.

Have you considered community college? There would probably be little to no cost with your income level.

and of course there is always money (student loans/grants) for higher education.
They're going to have to forget Santa Monica, period.

Now if they work two part time minimum wage jobs they could always shoot for Del Rey, the closest "cheaper" place to SM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles