Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker011 View Post
hello,i am wondering if someone like myself,who makes $1000 a month can afford a place in Santa Monica? i live far from there but i want to know if it is possible,maybe a studio or something like that?
It shouldnt even be an option. It's not just rent you have to worry about, but food and day to day living expenses. You're not going to find affordable markets like in other parts of L.A., and it will be even worse if you decide you want to go out for food. Other parts of West L.A. give you much better options even if not exactly affordable when it comes to housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:57 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,397 times
Quote:
hello,i am wondering if someone like myself,who makes $1000 a month can afford a place in Santa Monica? i live far from there but i want to know if it is possible,maybe a studio or something like that?
1,000 a month?

that's how much I spend on food here.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,636 times
look guys, he deserves to live in santa monica so let's spend the better of today sorting this out.

i'm gonna make another thread about how to rent a bmw for $30 a month so he can get around in style...cmon!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
On his budget he won't be able to afford Palms or Del Rey, much less SM.

Even Inglewood would be questionable.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM

451 posts, read 563,161 times
Quote:
the reason why I only work part time is that I have a high school education with a C average. I'm wondering,not an apartment close to the ocean or downtown but a place near Pico/Stewart or Santa Monica/Centinela. maybe it doesn't cost as much there??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The closer you are to the ocean(or the nightlife/hot spots) the more expensive it gets. You just can't afford it. You need to reevaluate your priorities and set attainable goals for yourself.
Seriously.
Lurker, your post doesn't answer the key question about your income and why you don't work more than part time? Are you in college? Are you disabled? Are you just lazy? Because having only a high school education is no reason to work only part time, especially if you want to live in SM (or even close thereto). Why do you want to live in that area? What are your priorities? What are your plans on making this happen (are you going to work more hours or is your extra time going to be dedicated on pretending you have money?).

As others have mentioned, you're going to have a tough time making ends meet with that income by any stretch of the imagination. Living closer to the beach is not for everyone.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,531 times
Quote:
the reason why I only work part time is that I have a high school education with a C average. I'm wondering,not an apartment close to the ocean or downtown but a place near Pico/Stewart or Santa Monica/Centinela. maybe it doesn't cost as much there??
So did my Dad. He learned a trade, joined the plumbers union, and now he lives in Santa Monica.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think most are going to want over $700 for a room .

Even if you found something for $700 that's only $300 month for all other expenses .

I'm thinking only way this is possible is some kind of section 8 or subsidized housing .

Usually you need disability or kids for that I believe .

$1000 month total income is really hard anywhere in the country .

I'm guessing the $1000 is part time income , is there a reason why you don't work full time ?
in some places in the south and midwest you can live off that much.

section 8 or subsidized housing is not all for those on disability or who have kids. You can be living in shelters or be homeless for a while to qualify.

Last edited by owl6969; 09-08-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 12:55 AM

513 posts, read 914,419 times
No, you can't for $1000.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:49 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
I thought OP said 1000 a month rent budget, not 1000 total take home income. That changes things and makes me think it's a troll post.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Not sure what I would do with a $1000 total budget..

Would probably look into a cheap studio or bachelor apartment to share.

Maybe something like this...but it's probably pretty tiny and in a crappy building.. but its in Mid Wilshire so there's a lot around there and prob wouldn't need a car.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...630604660.html

As others said if this is legit, $1000 even on housing is low for any part of L.A or SoCAL...but when you add up all the other expenses transportation,utilities,food, etc it gets to be impossible without some kind of public assistance/welfare

Just because you have a high school degree doesn't mean you need to work part time or for a low salary.

Serious issues arise when people put self limits on themselves.

You know how to work a computer and have the internet , there is a lot you can learn and do and even free classes where you can learn skills even if you don't have 'formal education'

For example if you know how to do internet marketing these days and can prove results, most people don't care if you have a degree.

Find something to make money like buying things cheaper and selling for a higher price or have a skill that ends up making someone more money than they are paying you.

Find something you are interested in and just go all out learning about that subject, it should be something that can somehow make you some income.

Random Example: you like electronics and learn how to repair iPhones, people will pay for this skill today.
Don't learn how to repair TVs as pretty much nobody repairs them these days.

Santa Monica especially these days isn't for those that don't have quite a bit of money.

I was working near Santa Monica and making more than 3x $1000 month, but couldn't afford to live there myself and had a long commute to somewhere more affordable.

One option might be to serve as a caretaker for someone, but this is going to be work if you get free housing out of it. You might be able to find a gig as a livein with pay that is better than the $1000 you make now , but people in Santa Monica will also probably want some kind of education or prior experience.

I'd focus as much as possible on education whether formal education or self education to learn skills that you need to increase your income. Then you can live in Santa Monica or wherever else you want to live in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles