Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:35 AM

77 posts, read 119,905 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but this makes no sense at all. It is like blaming the grocery store because you don't know how to cook. I thought all this food was supposed to taste good! I put the milk and broccoli and walnuts in a bowl and it was gross. Vons sucks!

Time Warner delivers broadband to your cable modem. Despite what people seem to think, in most cases they actually do get the speed they pay for.

But what happens is that people want to use wireless so they buy a cheap crappy wireless router, and the signal quality is poor, and the settings are not optimized. They then get slow, crappy speeds within their own home and blame the cable provider. It's just not feasible for TW to take responsibility for the wifi inside your premises. There are way too many factors that are location specific to maximizing your wifi performance. That's on you. Another analogy is blaming the water department for low water pressure because the plumbing inside your house is leaking.

If you don't know how to do it right -- which is perfectly fine because we are not all experts at everything -- pay some nerd friend who does know how. TWC can be accused of many crappy things but this is (usually) not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Time Warner Cable still sucks no matter what. What, I have to go buy a special router and place it on my ceiling to get the Internet I'm promised? So annoying. Yes, my router is probably cheap and yes it's near the ground and yes I'm maybe 30 feet away from it, but come on, if they promise the good stuff, make it easy, we're not all techies like you. How is the average person supposed to figure all this crap out? They promise max speed, they should deliver max speed, without all these conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
I have TW cable and TV. Word of advice...
Buy your OWN modem. I ordered mine from NewEgg for only $43.59 including shipping. I forget how much TW was charging. I think $6 rental per month for their modem. So in about 7 months it's paid for.

Also get rid of Turbo Internet. Downloading and uploading is a little bit slower, but really not even noticeable. I think they were charging me about $6 a month extra for Turbo and I never knew I even had it.

I have been using their HD service for $6.50 per month (I think is their price). Sometimes service is sketchy. The picture or sound may freeze up every few seconds. Gonna get rid of that and pay $1.50 for the digital adapter for regular definition TV.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:42 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I have TW cable and TV. Word of advice...
Buy your OWN modem. I ordered mine from NewEgg for only $43.59 including shipping. I forget how much TW was charging. I think $6 rental per month for their modem. So in about 7 months it's paid for.

Also get rid of Turbo Internet. Downloading and uploading is a little bit slower, but really not even noticeable. I think they were charging me about $6 a month extra for Turbo and I never knew I even had it.

I have been using their HD service for $6.50 per month (I think is their price). Sometimes service is sketchy. The picture or sound may freeze up every few seconds. Gonna get rid of that and pay $1.50 for the digital adapter for regular definition TV.

You might want to change your browser if you are using Google Chrome.
I use to think it was either TW, or my modem that was causing videos and sound to freeze on occasion.
Once I changed to internet explorer, the freeze up is a thing of the past.
Check your browser first.

Bob.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times
Update if anyone cares:

My 1 year promotional period expires in December, so on a whim yesterday I called in and renegotiated speeds of 300/30 for $29.99 a month for 6 months, then it goes up to $34.95 for the last 6 months. It took 3 phone calls for the upgrade to actually be applied. Once you get a customer service rep who isn't garbage, knows what they're doing, and doesn't pretend they can't hear you on the line, it was worth the extra time.

Make sure you navigate your way through the phone menu prompts to their cancel service menu and speak to their retentions department. I mentioned I wanted to cancel and that I could get Verizon Fios' faster speeds for cheaper (a lie). The rep asked me what I use my internet for, I listed off streaming, gaming, uploading, yadda yadda. And she offered me 200/20 at $29.99. Well turns out, she applied the wrong code and luckily I called back in today to confirm because I know how awful their customer service is. The rep applied the right code and upgraded me to 300/30 at $29.99. I'm not sure if he knew I was quoted a lower speed or if he was just being nice, but I didn't really question it.

I can't test the speeds until my new modem comes in later this week. However, dealing with crappy customer service for an hour out of my life to get a year of faster speeds at a lower price was worth the slight hassle. Your mileage may vary.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
my favorite thing about Time Warner is calling a customer support center (in the Philippines) and have some idiot over there tell me that I lost my internet connection because I was on a Mac, and that it was an Apple problem.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:31 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Update if anyone cares:

My 1 year promotional period expires in December, so on a whim yesterday I called in and renegotiated speeds of 300/30 for $29.99 a month for 6 months, then it goes up to $34.95 for the last 6 months. It took 3 phone calls for the upgrade to actually be applied. Once you get a customer service rep who isn't garbage, knows what they're doing, and doesn't pretend they can't hear you on the line, it was worth the extra time.

Make sure you navigate your way through the phone menu prompts to their cancel service menu and speak to their retentions department. I mentioned I wanted to cancel and that I could get Verizon Fios' faster speeds for cheaper (a lie). The rep asked me what I use my internet for, I listed off streaming, gaming, uploading, yadda yadda. And she offered me 200/20 at $29.99. Well turns out, she applied the wrong code and luckily I called back in today to confirm because I know how awful their customer service is. The rep applied the right code and upgraded me to 300/30 at $29.99. I'm not sure if he knew I was quoted a lower speed or if he was just being nice, but I didn't really question it.

I can't test the speeds until my new modem comes in later this week. However, dealing with crappy customer service for an hour out of my life to get a year of faster speeds at a lower price was worth the slight hassle. Your mileage may vary.

Oh it will vary. I pay $165 a month for that and cable (HBO, Showtime). When I tried to drop HBO and Showtime they actually tried to bump me to $180 a month... to get rid of those!

I'm surprised they didn't figure out your lie. Verizon FIOS aint in 90069 and it never will be

Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Oh it will vary. I pay $165 a month for that and cable (HBO, Showtime). When I tried to drop HBO and Showtime they actually tried to bump me to $180 a month... to get rid of those!
You're comparing a bundled service (yours) to a single service product (mine). Apples and oranges. My pricing is going to be much more straightforward than yours is. With ANY TV provider, HBO and Showtime are usually offered in a bundle for a lower price than it would be if you were to add it to your service on it's own. You were receiving a bundle discount for those channels and when you remove them, your price goes back up to the standard pricing. Cable subscription 101, that's how they get you. They entice you with promotional discounts at the start of a service hoping after a year, you don't understand how to re-negotiate pricing or just give up altogether.

Give me 10 minutes to Google search and 20 minutes on the phone and I could easily knock $20 off of that $165. You need to threaten to remove your service altogether if you want a lower pricing rate, asking to remove a couple of channels lets them know you still want their service. You put the ball in their court and allowed them to shoot a three. So why be surprised when they score?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
300/30 for $29.99 a month for 6 months, then it goes up to $34.95 for the last 6 months
I'm in the same zip code as you and the fastest I can get is 100/10. WTF?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Didn't you say you lived in the hills north of Sunset? That could be why. The max speeds are between Sunset and Santa Monica Blvd.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You were previously subscribed to the 25/5 speeds, which means you should be getting at least 200/20 speeds. The reason you are not is because there are only two modems provisioned by TWC to receive speeds higher than 100/10.

You need to either lease or purchase the Motorola SB6183 (which is currently sold out) or the Netgear C6300 (overpriced in my opinion). These will give you speeds above 100. If you lease your modem, ask TWC about swapping out your equipment. If you bought, you have to purchase one of the above modems.

Right now, I can only see speeds of 50/5 because my modem the SB121, only has speeds up to that. I have a SB6183 coming in later this week. Check out this list if you have anymore questions on modems.

Quote:
The max speeds are between Sunset and Santa Monica Blvd.
False. First of all, 100/10 is a Maxx speed (he was upgraded from 25/5). Second, I have the speeds and I don't live between your made up area. Third, all of LA is being upgraded, they aren't gonna leave out a portion of one zip code. Fourth, stop it.

Last edited by bpeeps; 10-21-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles