Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 PM

137 posts, read 520,387 times

Advertisements

Hello! First off thank you right off for even reading let alone answering! I am going through back posts right now also, but not seeing my exact question, so I will give alot of specifics in hopes I can get some good answers.

I am negotiating a job in Santa Monica and need to know what area to possibly live in. I haven't been through the LA area in 20 years. I understand cost of living is MUCH higher and the traffic is MUCH worse than where I am at. I hold no delusions on either of those points. I know we are in for more $ out and longer commutes.

On that front here is my info:

Job is in Santa Monica, in the rough area between Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center & I-10 (according to Google maps).

Family with kids, but school district has no bearing.

Don't need "beach" lifestyle.

Want to be somewhere that it's possible to have a 3 bedroom rental (any type) under $3000 if possible (maybe go up to $4000, but that's a stretch). I know it's a stretch. Hence why I am asking.

Need "safe", not high crime area.

Don't need exciting or nightlife or downtown vibe.

Bonus if there are grocery stores near or parks.

Don't care if it's city or suburb or "country" looking.

The biggie... which direction has the LEAST suckiest commute into Santa Monica? Living in Santa Monica seems too expensive? Unless I missed something?

Because seriously the last time I was in LA was in the late 1980's. And I am sure it's a wee tad different now! LOL

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LemonYellow; 12-11-2014 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Edited area and price for clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
Yes you're definitely priced out of Santa Monica. But UCLA and Santa Monica aren't the same. Which one is it?

3 bedroom for under 3000? Hmm. Maybe Culver City? Maybe West LA (the neighborhood). Both have easy enough commutes to Santa Monica and UCLA. Culver City has a better school system. I think there will be rentals in your range there but they may take some extra effort to find.

Definitely Mid-City. Definitely the Valley (north of Ventura Blvd, even sherman oaks or encino). Both a little far commute but more affordable and you'll be able to find something for sure.

Grocery stores and parks in all of these areas. All these areas are safe.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:33 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Yes you're definitely priced out of Santa Monica. But UCLA and Santa Monica aren't the same. Which one is it?

3 bedroom for under 3000? Hmm. Maybe Culver City? Maybe West LA (the neighborhood). Both have easy enough commutes to Santa Monica and UCLA. Culver City has a better school system. I think there will be rentals in your range there but they may take some extra effort to find.

Definitely Mid-City. Definitely the Valley (north of Ventura Blvd, even sherman oaks or encino). Both a little far commute but more affordable and you'll be able to find something for sure.

Grocery stores and parks in all of these areas. All these areas are safe.
I believe that the OP is referring to UCLA hospital and medical offices which are located in Santa Monica??

Old 12-11-2014, 05:37 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
there are limited 3br apartment options on the westside (the area around santa monica) and detached houses will be out of your price range. if you prefer a house, you'll need to look over the hill in areas like encino or sherman oaks. your commute from these areas will be around 45-60 minutes each way. if you can fit into a 2br place, you'll have a lot more options.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks everyone!

I edited to clarify the area and price better. Between "Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center & I-10" area roughly. Or so Google maps tells me.

Does not need to be a house. School district does not matter, kids don't go to public school.

Under $3000-$4000 if at all possible.
I realize that it may be harder in that range, going over that range will require some fancy budgeting.

Thanks again!!!! I am most worried about commute times!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 PM

So better to look North of Santa Monica seems to be the answer so far. How bad is the traffic on the 405? Is there a time that best avoids the majority of am/pm rush hours? This job is flexible on the times.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Is it 3000 or 4000? That makes a difference! Not north of santa monica since north of santa monica is basically the palisades and malibu. Probably you're looking at southeast of Santa Monica. West LA, Mar Vista, Culver City. All are easy access to your job, especially West LA. Try to get closer to 4000 a month and you'll find something in those areas.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Ok edited again. Would like under $3000, but up to $4000 MIGHT work.

What about Woodland Hills and taking the 27 down through Topanga?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Ok doing a cursory search through several online places I can't post the names of on here. CL being one of them.

Not finding much of anything open in Mar Vista online. Oddly it sends me mostly Rancho Cucamonga which I can see is nowhere near Mar Vista.

Culver City looks promising! Quite a few more posted and many under $3000.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:35 PM

Woodland Hills will be a nasty commute. EVeryone's going from valley to santa monica in the AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles