Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,011 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

In March, my husband and I will be moving from Plano, Texas, to California. We are looking for where in the state to settle. I have visited California very briefly, but that was easily twenty years ago and I haven't been back since. Vincent would like to move to the San Diego area. I lean towards Los Angeles, as I have a friend who lives in North Hollywood, but we are negotiable. Here are the specifics of what we are looking for:

* - I will need to get a job, preferably in my current field of telephone technical support. In Plano I am (or was, prior to being laid off) making in the $16.50-$18 hour range so I am hoping to pull in that range in California (fingers crossed.) The thing is that I am not sure what city or town tends to have a lot of telephone-technical-support-type job openings. I would love to hear about good locations to find these sorts of jobs.

* - Our maximum rent is going to be about $800/month, which I realize is low for California, but we don't need a lot out of our place to live. Here are our specifics:
.....* - We'd like to have a one-bedroom apartment, but can live in a studio or efficiency if we must.
.....* - Apartment must have AC, a dishwasher, a fridge, a tub. Some means of cooking (microwave or stove) would also be very nice. Washer/dryer hookups would be a massive score but I suspect we may have to learn to live with a nearby laundromat.
.....* - We *MUST* be able to get high-speed internet access. 100% priority. No internet is a deal-breaker.
.....* - We're hoping for no roaches.
.....* - We're hoping not to have our car stolen. We're also hoping to not be murdered in our beds.
.....* - We're hoping to have access to public transportation if available.
.....* - Close-ish to the beach, if we can manage it? I realize we'll never get anything remotely resembling beachfront for the budget we have, but it would be nice to get as close as possible. I would love it if we could be a short bike ride away, but we'd settle for a couple of hours by car on the weekends, if we must.
.....* - Must. Be. Liberal. You do not know what it is like in Texas. I could rant for hours about Conservatives. I want to live in the most liberal stronghold I can find (and afford.)

That's about it. I know it is more expensive to live in California and I am scared to death, but we cannot stay here. I think we can make it if we can just get out foot in the door.

Any ideas or suggestions? I would love to hear them!

Thanks
California or Bust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
!llort

Old 12-13-2014, 10:31 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
$800 a month would be hard in Plano. The reason it is even touchable in the area near Dallas is that you are hundreds of miles from the beach. San Diego is much more expensive than Los Angeles, and if you find $800 there, it is going to be very scary. Also your neighbors won't be liberal but they will love Obama and the Democrats in general because they "help the people out".

Sorry about your job situation but Southern California doesn't seem to be the center for technical support jobs. I work for a software company and we have tech support in Southern California, but that is four people and shrinking. Everyone hired new for our product support and even for development is in Plano, Texas. I would recommend looking in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley if any such jobs exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaorbust1512 View Post

.....* - Must. Be. Liberal. You do not know what it is like in Texas. I could rant for hours about Conservatives. I want to live in the most liberal stronghold I can find (and afford.)
The democrats have a stronghold in California but no exclusive hold on it. You will see Republican billboards and get robocalls from Republican candidates, and work with someone who votes Republican. However, if that is your motive for moving, you may be able to find telephone support type jobs in places like Tucson or in New Mexico.

Having said all that, California is a great place to live, even with the state's hand in your wallet. My wife and I made the move in 1990 and had 24 great years here, but unfortunately my job was relocated to Texas a few months ago.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
You will need to increase your budget for rent!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

In March, my husband and I will be moving from Plano, Texas, to California. We are looking for where in the state to settle. I have visited California very briefly, but that was easily twenty years ago and I haven't been back since. Vincent would like to move to the San Diego area. I lean towards Los Angeles, as I have a friend who lives in North Hollywood, but we are negotiable. Here are the specifics of what we are looking for:

* - I will need to get a job, preferably in my current field of telephone technical support. In Plano I am (or was, prior to being laid off) making in the $16.50-$18 hour range so I am hoping to pull in that range in California (fingers crossed.) The thing is that I am not sure what city or town tends to have a lot of telephone-technical-support-type job openings. I would love to hear about good locations to find these sorts of jobs.

* - Our maximum rent is going to be about $800/month, which I realize is low for California, but we don't need a lot out of our place to live. Here are our specifics:
.....* - We'd like to have a one-bedroom apartment, but can live in a studio or efficiency if we must.
.....* - Apartment must have AC, a dishwasher, a fridge, a tub. Some means of cooking (microwave or stove) would also be very nice. Washer/dryer hookups would be a massive score but I suspect we may have to learn to live with a nearby laundromat.
.....* - We *MUST* be able to get high-speed internet access. 100% priority. No internet is a deal-breaker.
.....* - We're hoping not to have our car stolen. We're also hoping to not be murdered in our beds.
.....* - Close-ish to the beach, if we can manage it? I realize we'll never get anything remotely resembling beachfront for the budget we have, but it would be nice to get as close as possible. I would love it if we could be a short bike ride away, but we'd settle for a couple of hours by car on the weekends, if we must.

That's about it. I know it is more expensive to live in California and I am scared to death, but we cannot stay here. I think we can make it if we can just get out foot in the door.

Thanks
California or Bust
Is this a troll posting? From what I experienced living in Los Angeles last year, $800 is NOT doable. I know what you're saying about Texas (especially Plano) conservatism, btw.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks
California or Bust

Not even a good fake post.

So many holes in it, but here are a few.

Why would someone who hasn't visited a place in 20 yrs, have a desire to move there? If you were so enamored with CA you would have a found a way to visit more recently.

And you know damn well that a one bedroom for $800 in LA(which is the forum you posted on) would be next to impossible. In fact you would be hard pressed in the Plano area for that.

Was this your attempt to make liberals look foolish? You only made yourself look foolish.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
It's going to mostly depend on where you wind up working. And it's two hours from the nearest beach. But if you can handle the commutes, you might be better off looking at the Inland Empire for housing closer to your price.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:24 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
A lot of CA folks are moving to Plano, but you're wanting to come here? As someone who has lived in both places, I would recommend you stay in Plano or move to Garland or Sachse or somewhere cheaper. $800 out here is not realistic, especially for two people.

Your people (Texans) hate Californians. Why not just stay there and leave some room out here?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
It's going to mostly depend on where you wind up working. And it's two hours from the nearest beach. But if you can handle the commutes, you might be better off looking at the Inland Empire for housing closer to your price.
You can't do the IE on $800 either, considering the OP's desire not to get murdered. Same for LA. There are $800 areas out there but scary.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 AM

127 posts, read 156,265 times
I am originally form California and moved to Texas (Houston) a year and a half ago. As someone who has lived in both places I would not move to California. The only situation I would even consider it would be if I got an incredible job opportunity. Since that is not the case for you I would not do it.

I have personally found the belief that everyone in Texas is conservative to be highly exaggerated.

Last edited by rednas; 12-15-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles