Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:16 PM

360 posts, read 712,461 times

Advertisements

RANT: I'm 31 and frugal. I've been saving since I was in high school and have a sizable amount saved for a down payment on a house. I also bring home a salary close to 6-figures. I have no kids and I'm not married.

...and I STILL can't afford a house within an hour of my office! I work in Santa Monica and I know the Westside isn't cheap. I'm not looking to live on the ocean by any means, but I can't even afford a house in Culver City, Mar Vista, West LA, Playa Del Ray, El Segundo... no where! I'm really looking for a house and not a condo...if I wanted a apartment with a HOA fee, I'd just rent (which is what I have been doing).

The best deal I've found was up to Topanga Canyon, for a nice 2 bed / 2ba, 1000 sq ft for $699k. That's a downpayment of $150k + a mortgage of $3600/month. Insane.

How on Earth do people actually afford to buy here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
How on Earth do people actually afford to buy here?
This is not a new issue to LA nor is it exclusive to LA. But you have some options:

1. get married to another person with a similar income
2. look in the valley
3. look in fringe areas like inglewood or hawthorne

the westside is in high demand and even a low 6 figure salary won't buy you a house there. my wife and i combined to make about $150k 4 years ago and couldn't afford anything but dumps adjacent to the 405 or fixers in westchester as far as SFHs go. we ended up in the valley, but i work in the valley as well so it's all good (minus the summer hear).

Old 01-22-2015, 01:32 PM

329 posts, read 627,750 times
Most people don't. Most homeowners bought when housing was actually cheap in LA. Although 100K/yr is very good for your age it ain't much here in LA especially for west LA area. Being frugal is important but being smart with investment is more important it seems

Old 01-22-2015, 01:37 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Get 10 others to live with you.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM

170 posts, read 234,282 times
My wife and I are in our early 30's, make just under 100k between us, (she works part time), and own a nicely appointed, new(er) 1300 sqft SFR in a upcoming AZ suburb with a mortgage of less than $900. Our entire housing budget here is less than $1300. Utilities, DirecTV, HOA....everything.

I'm having a VERY hard time finding decent housing in areas close to this job lead for under $1800 a month. And I'm not even looking at houses or even large apartments...This is the main reason why I'm still undecided on relocating to LA LA land.

No wonder the blue collars and middle class are dying off....

Old 01-22-2015, 02:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
How on earth do people afford anything here is what I want to know? The home prices frustrate me but so does rent, the taxes, various fees etc just to live a normal life. I know there's a premium to live in LA but sometimes it gets ridiculous.

I do wonder what people do for a living to afford those homes above 500k.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
How on earth do people afford anything here is what I want to know? The home prices frustrate me but so does rent, the taxes, various fees etc just to live a normal life. I know there's a premium to live in LA but sometimes it gets ridiculous.

I do wonder what people do for a living to afford those homes above 500k.
Meh, nothing else really bothers me here except the housing cost. Gas, taxes, food, etc.. yeah it's more expensive but not insane. We pay for the climate and proximately that our location gives us.

But housing... not only are people buying $500k places, but they are buying them in cash. It's hopeless.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:50 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,026 times
If folks didn't buy a long time ago they are not buying to actually pay their mortgage off in the short-term. The upside from appreciation will offset the mortgage so their net equity position is positive going forward. For many folks, they have successfully used the debt markets and appreciation to foray into even bigger and better homes or multiple properties including multi-residential.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM

170 posts, read 234,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
For many folks, they have successfully used the debt markets and appreciation to foray into even bigger and better homes or multiple properties including multi-residential.
...and this my friends, is how the Rich get richer......

Old 01-22-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
...and this my friends, is how the Rich get richer......
Great, I'd love to do it. How do I get started when things are $900k - $1.2mill for a 2 bedroom dump off Sawtelle and Pico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles