Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
Four offhand thoughts:

1. Higher education is the biggest market bubble going right now.
2. Even if you'd like to leave for Europe, 95+% of Americans wouldn't be able to get a work permit there.
3. Extreme housing costs in LA mean that there should be more big buildings and density should increase.
4. Companies need staff at all levels and if staff can't afford to live in LA the economy will have issues growing.

The improvement in crime rates is great but if you weren't in on the ground floor it's tough to see the advantages at this point of the cycle.
I agree with all of these..I recently started a thread in another forum on CD about the number of student loans that are currently delinquent.

This is it if you are interested:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...s-default.html

There definitely needs to be more density. All these people that are crying to the city to stop development or not allow more development or density are causing the prices to be higher and higher than they need to be.
Rent control also unfairly benefits people that moved to L.A a long time ago and had more chance to get established here.
If I were Mayor I'd get rid of that right away and explain clearly why it's a good idea. Of course the Mayor won't do that because they are too scared to actually do some reason change.

Kind of ironic that the cities with the highest market rents...also have the strongest rent control laws
L.A,SF and NYC!

Since when did it become a good idea for the government to decide what a private property owner can charge for rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM

755 posts, read 675,515 times
Gentrification-cleaning things up-is always good. I moved from LA 10 years ago, I have been back there many, many times and have yet to find my way downtown. I cannot believe what I am hearing about downtown being the spot now, lol! From 1986-2005 it stunk. They were just beginning to sale downtown condos for 400k.

Well, I will probably be moving back there by next year, I hope it has improved. I do miss it on some days, and some days I don't, but a great job opportunity and the majority of my friends and family are there so I might be saying good bye to Phoenix.

I hope it is better than when I left. Sorry poor folk, but life is what you make of it!!

Old 12-24-2015, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
Then please describe the loopholes that are only available to the 1%.
I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Please prove me wrong.

The banker jews- freedom, surely as a wealthy man you know who controls the economy. Gentrification hmmmmmmm, more like Agenda 21. My CA, I grew up in Santa Clarita from 1968--2000. Look at it now! It sickens my soul to witness the trashing of one of the most fabulous places in the world.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:40 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
I'm skeptical of this gentrification as I believe there's a hidden agenda behind it.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:32 AM

925 posts, read 1,065,806 times
Gentrification is happening in all the successful cities. It's making it impossible for the middle class to actually live in the city. Good examples are Washington DC, Boston and Chicago. That's why people are moving to the suburbs unless you make a very good income.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Whether gentrification happens or not,L.A will always remain pricey,but gentrification in my opinion is what's actually saving L.A from becoming one large ghetto or slum,or in other words the city officials and developers see the potential L.A has to offer by making improvements to a depressed area..Downtown L.A is a good example of recent gentrification and this is what downtown needed to revitalize the area,I just don't understand why it took so long for anyone to actually see the enormous potential there,but are seeing the positive results.

L.A is one of the most desirable and exciting place to live in,so even the ghetto sections of today may one day be transformed into a safe and vibrant community someday...If I was a developer I would surely put my money into L.A.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:15 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
Of course it's saving LA. 80% of the city is a festering ghetto, can't we just have 20% be nice?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:30 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
I wouldn't say 80% is ghetto,but there are pockets of the city that do need improvements of course,and as time goes by things are improving all around L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Of course it's saving LA. 80% of the city is a festering ghetto, can't we just have 20% be nice?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 PM

85 posts, read 92,161 times
I've seen a video of Inglewood from 1961 called "Boys Beware". LA was once white. I guess it's just returning to normal.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:21 PM

548 posts, read 473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolbell View Post
The banker jews- freedom, surely as a wealthy man you know who controls the economy. Gentrification hmmmmmmm, more like Agenda 21. My CA, I grew up in Santa Clarita from 1968--2000. Look at it now! It sickens my soul to witness the trashing of one of the most fabulous places in the world.
Nice conspiracy theory + Antisemitism. Good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles