Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM

43 posts, read 139,792 times

Advertisements

The recent gentrification of NYC is having a catastrophic effect on the quality of life in Northern NJ. For starters, we have more traffic than ever which is testing our infrastructure and pushing capacity to the brink. We have what were once considered nice areas overrun with crime. It's only getting worse. Almost every news article indicates the perps are from NYC. I've seen no evidence of this improving. The middle class neighborhoods aren't the only ones suffering. People will say crime is everywhere which is true. However, it should be noted that when an area gentrifies adjacent areas inherit many quality of life issues. I'm not writing this to stir the pot or be political. Maybe I'm pointing out the obvious, but North Jersey is NOT what it was 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
The recent gentrification of NYC is having a catastrophic effect on the quality of life in Northern NJ. For starters, we have more traffic than ever which is testing our infrastructure and pushing capacity to the brink. We have what were once considered nice areas overrun with crime. It's only getting worse. Almost every news article indicates the perps are from NYC. I've seen no evidence of this improving. The middle class neighborhoods aren't the only ones suffering. People will say crime is everywhere which is true. However, it should be noted that when an area gentrifies adjacent areas inherit many quality of life issues. I'm not writing this to stir the pot or be political. Maybe I'm pointing out the obvious, but North Jersey is NOT what it was 10 years ago.
Yup- you're pointing out the obvious. And 10 years ago, people were saying "boy, this place sure isn't what it was 10 years ago". And 20 years ago, people were saying "boy, this place sure isn't what it was 10 years ago". And so on, and so on, and so on......

Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
yeah. i wish i could still get a coke for 5 cents.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
It isn't just North Jersey, but the other boroughs of NYC as well, especially Staten Island. Staten Island used to be considered the nicest and most affluent borough of the city since it was the least densely populated and most "suburban". Look at the slum hole that it is now. Wasn't anything like that in the 1980s.

IMO the future of NYC looks pretty bleak. They are already saying NY and NJ are among the last to recover from the recession. It's simply getting too expensive to run business there, all the companies that keep it going are leaving. $26 for a train ticket from New Brunswick to Manhattan! That's just criminal. I don't see it lasting like that.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM

I think this proves gentrification isn't always a good thing.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
It isn't just North Jersey, but the other boroughs of NYC as well, especially Staten Island. Staten Island used to be considered the nicest and most affluent borough of the city since it was the least densely populated and most "suburban". Look at the slum hole that it is now. Wasn't anything like that in the 1980s.

IMO the future of NYC looks pretty bleak. They are already saying NY and NJ are among the last to recover from the recession. It's simply getting too expensive to run business there, all the companies that keep it going are leaving. $26 for a train ticket from New Brunswick to Manhattan! That's just criminal. I don't see it lasting like that.
LOL , companies are moving to south and Central Jersey and Philly. But this is the Bos-Wash or Port-Folk Corridor the future is blinding bright....

Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,189 times
I'm a NY transplant and moved to NJ because the rents were much cheaper than what I was being charged there.

Not all NY'ers that move here are unemployed, welfare recipients, criminals or drug dealers.

We are middle class working people that are looking to get more out of their paychecks.

Now if the rents were as they are here in Jersey would I have moved, ummm nope.

Why, because I wouldn't have to pay double to commute by NJ Transit & MTA.

I'm just saying.....

Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Nexus - I appreciate your optimism but I respectfully disagree. The future business climate in this state will have very little to do with rail corridors and everything to do with limited regulations that actually invite companies to the Garden State. The root of our problem is complicated.

Our state is corrupt.
We have too many people willing to tax themselves into oblivion.
NYC gentrification forced the working class out and into our state where they are just as poor.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:12 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL , companies are moving to south and Central Jersey and Philly. But this is the Bos-Wash or Port-Folk Corridor the future is blinding bright....
My point exactly. Everything is going to the Philly region because it's cheaper to run business down there. I can also drive to Philly from my place in less than an hour without paying a cent in tolls, and it's actually the most direct route as well. Can't do that to get to NYC in any way, shape or form. Even from here to Brooklyn is $19 round trip when you add up the Outerbridge and Verrazano tolls. And that's driving. And contrary to NY and NJ, PA is among the first to recover. NYC and much of its metro area now has pretty much poisoned itself from its own cost of living. I'll never forget the time earlier this year I was in TGI Friday's in Manhattan and everything cost like $10-15 more than it would elsewhere because of the scenery and the view outside. It's just ridiculous. OK we know it's the greatest city in the world, but it's a CITY, not friggin MAYBERRY! And it's ruining itself because of that mentality. Look at Staten Island, the dump it is now. The whole metro will be like that in ten years, I guarantee it.

Philly is much more managable and convenient than NYC. That's why everything's going there. And I'm not talking anything about crime rate. That'll change with it.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM

When you guys say everything is going to Philly, what are you referring to? Are you saying gentrification? I don't see it and haven't in my visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey