Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which News Channel Do you Prefer?
Channel 2 5 8.06%
4 8 12.90%
5 13 20.97%
7 20 32.26%
9 7 11.29%
11 7 11.29%
13 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,768 times

Advertisements

Well, they're all corporations with little incentive to provide objective news. They just pander to their market. I recall Larry King interviewing the guy who murdered John Lennon, patting him on the back after the interview and congratulating him on 'a great show.' Barbara Walters interviewed the dirtbag as well. That's entertainment.

It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but I haven't watched either one of them since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 06:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Some of these old timers:

Dr. George's retirement forecast: sunny - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-21-2008, 01:15 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,896,764 times
Los Angeles has the best television news in the world its always doing hard hitting investigations about the danger of skin cancer or risks involved in breast implants, so that it can show a lot of skin while trying to terrify the public.

I also really appreciate how you get promoted in local news based primarily on how you look. If someone is going to read stuff off a teleprompter they should look nice.

Where else can you find this type of talent?

I love LA.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 PM

147 posts, read 383,556 times
Do people still watch the evening news?

I widen my horizons by watching Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley on KCET.

Some of the guests on Charlie Rose have been total morons, starting with Tom Friedman.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raul View Post
Do people still watch the evening news?
I wonder the same thing. People like my 87 year old dad probably do. But he also wears pajamas (there are probably some people who don't know what pajamas are), sits down at the table and dedicates time to eat breakfast like Ozzie and Harriet and Father Knows Best did, and calls a refrigerator an "ice box".

I don't think I've watched the evening news since the days of Archie Bunker. "Using yesterday's technology, tomorrow."

Let's take it a couple steps further:

Do people still watch TV? (1950s technology)
Do people still read newspapers? (16th century technology)
Do people still go to malls? (PRICEWATCH :: Price Comparison Tool - Find the lowest prices on computer parts, electronics and more before you buy)
Do people still go to movies? (Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The world's largest BitTorrent tracker)

With the internet, why bother?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:22 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,082,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Let's take it a couple steps further:

Do people still watch TV? (1950s technology)
Do people still read newspapers? (16th century technology)
Do people still go to malls? (PRICEWATCH :: Price Comparison Tool - Find the lowest prices on computer parts, electronics and more before you buy)
Do people still go to movies? (Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The world's largest BitTorrent tracker)

With the internet, why bother?
You forgot radio, a 1930s technology -- and still hugely popular! TV (with cable, satellite, HD) is big business. Newspapers are struggling. Malls and movie theaters are both popular, and IMO, in spite of how much we often complain about crowds and annoyances about each others' behavior in public spaces, mingling with "the herd" seems to be something we still seek out even when we can sit isolated and shop or view on-demand online.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
mingling with "the herd" seems to be something we still seek out even when we can sit isolated .
You know, this is sort of true. I perfer to work out at a gym (even though I rarely talk to anyone there) versus buying my own fitness equipment. Something about "going" to the gym versus working out at home makes it more desireable for some reason.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,207,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
Los Angeles has the best television news in the world its always doing hard hitting investigations about the danger of skin cancer or risks involved in breast implants, so that it can show a lot of skin while trying to terrify the public.

I also really appreciate how you get promoted in local news based primarily on how you look. If someone is going to read stuff off a teleprompter they should look nice.

Where else can you find this type of talent?

I love LA.
speaking of inappropriate news stories, i was watching the channel 5 news a month or so ago and they started a story about female grooming in that "special" area. Before the segment was cut, they actually showed a blurry/edited image of a woman in underwear that was not well groomed to say the least. Both of the anchors grimaced uncomfortably and tried to segue into the next story. The first thing that came to my mind was "only in LA".

Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,050 times
Default Laura Diaz

After watching all the others, I still believe Laura Diaz, anchor at KCBS, is the best.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,626 times
Default Laura Diaz

Laura Diaz, the anchor at KCBS, is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles