Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Speaking of Valley hipness...

I was pretty surprised to find that the former private chef of Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson and other celebrities has opened an upscale type pizza place...not in Studio City on Ventura Blvd...but in Reseda.

Flame Pizzeria | Delicious Pizzeria in Reseda, CA

If you look at the pics on yelp it looks more like a place you would find in DTLA or some other trendy area.

Flame Pizzeria - Pizza - Los Angeles, CA - Yelp

I think that this area along with Lake Balboa and Canoga park will change quite a bit pretty soon.
I think theres 'under the radar' gentrification that a lot of people don't pay attention to because it's happening in the valley.
The mainstream focus these days is definitely more on the neighborhoods closer to Downtown L.A , like Highland Park,Echo Park, Boyle Heights.

If you think about it though, while Reseda has been considered 'low income' , the homes there aren't that cheap these days and very close by 'South of Ventura blvd' areas and in other areas the homes go for well over $1million and there is a lot of wealth in the area.
Of course there are a lot of lower income apartment renters in Reseda , versus some other areas of the valley like Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Woodland Hills ,etc.
i live in this general area and I've met a number of guys like myself (30 somethings with young kids) that have bought homes in reseda and lake balboa. if your budget is $500k, you don't have a lot of other options in the area. i'd like to see there areas get back to the low crime, middle class neighborhoods that they used to be. lake balboa is pretty much there, but reseda needs some work. i could care less about demographics as long as the schools perform well and a family can safely walk their dogs/kids around the neighborhood without issue. it would also be nice to see the 'downtown reseda' area become more diverse. it's a neat little area but almost exclusively caters to the spanish speaking crowd. as for canoga park, their little downtown would be something for reseda to strive for. and with the expansion of the topanga mall, i'm hoping canoga park cleans up a bit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:47 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yes, I agree. I think that over the years demographics in this area have changed quite a bit. A homeowner that bought their house for $500k or so is going to be higher income than one that bought for perhaps $200k or less in the past.
I know there were quite a few houses turned over in these areas over the years ..more people likely lost their homes in these areas versus places like Encino ,Sherman Oaks ,Studio City which have been higher income/wealthier for a long time .

In Lake Balboa, there is a place called Humble Bee..you might know . It's a little breakfast place that serves 'organic' type items , the place is always packed. There is definitely a demand for these types of businesses. The place seems out of place in the kind of run down strip center...I think there is a massage parlor and a liquor store in the same center.
Any decent breakfast places seem to do really well though anywhere..especially on weekends.

I agree about Downtown Reseda..I heard there was talk of revitalizing it but it seems more talk versus any action. Personally I'd rather see the city spend a little bit of money on revitalizing these types of areas and supporting small business and a little less on parks. Parks are important..but it seems the amount spent on them is astronomical.

I agree too that Downtown Canoga Park (Sherman Way) is better than Reseda..but , I could see a lot more potential. It would be nice if the mall expansion benefits the area. I believe I heard that the mall opening initially hurt that area..but i'm not sure if that's true.

Nowadays people seem to seek out the small independent shops, so if these downtown areas could be made more appealing that would be great. I don't think it would cost a ton of money either , as the existing infrastructure is there.
I haven't seen any real effort to improve these areas, it's kind of a shame .
I do know that Canoga Park had some art walks with food trucks in the past..i'm not sure if they still do that. I had gone perhaps 2-3 years back.

It would be awesome to see a cool gastropub type place open in one of these areas or something like that. A quality pizza place or burger place. I that if one or two 'cool' businesses opens up and becomes popular it is likely to create a snowball effect. This is what happened in places like Echo Park, Silver Lake, etc.
Yes , this is what many consider gentrification , but I feel these areas are in desperate need of gentrification, as you said there is a new generation moving in and there is a lack of options without having to drive outside the neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:15 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
SM needs a program to get the fuddy-duddies out of their apartments and into retirement homes in lower value areas so living space for younger, more energetic people is in greater availability.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
SM needs a program to get the fuddy-duddies out of their apartments and into retirement homes in lower value areas so living space for younger, more energetic people is in greater availability.
Lol I seriously doubt they are all going to go into retirement homes. They have worked their whole life and should be able to enjoy the rest where they like!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Imagine how hip Santa Monica would be if the elderly left...and the homeless...or do the homeless help to make an area hip..sometimes hipsters look like they are homeless..if they are doing the hipster thing correctly.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:55 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Lol I seriously doubt they are all going to go into retirement homes. They have worked their whole life and should be able to enjoy the rest where they like!
But there are too many people living beyond their expiration date in what's a really nice, pleasant, energetic area. Even on Ocean Park there's a convalescent home and whenever I walk by it there's never anybody healthy enough to be up and about enjoying the area. Really, why not live out between L.A. and Palm Springs where expenses are much less, and the dry air is easier to ingest?

Old 05-08-2015, 08:38 AM

I'm guessing you are talking more about the longtime residents that are on rent control/rent stabilization?

Also just because someone is older doesn't mean they aren't energetic. A family friend is in her mid 70s (I think) and she's got a ton of energy. She only recently 'retired' ...but she's still always doing something, volunteering,etc. She exercises a lot too.

This is in South Florida though...Over there you really notice seniors because there are so many of them. Lot's of them do seem pretty active as well.

I'm not crazy about a 'kick the elderly out' campaign in L.A ...especially since it's already a city that is pretty focused on the young. If you go to a place like Fort Lauderdale you'll see that it's mostly focused on the elderly. If you go to the nicer restaurants and lounges/bars you'll see a lot of older people.

The same is not true in L.A . There are lot's of places you can go and be the old one if you are in your 30s.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But there are too many people living beyond their expiration date in what's a really nice, pleasant, energetic area. Even on Ocean Park there's a convalescent home and whenever I walk by it there's never anybody healthy enough to be up and about enjoying the area. Really, why not live out between L.A. and Palm Springs where expenses are much less, and the dry air is easier to ingest?
I just decided that I don't want *******s like you living within 25 miles of me, so maybe you should move closer to palm springs.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:25 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Yeah the old in santa monica are either rent controlled (so why would they leave?), have owned homes for generations, or rich. Sometimes very rich.

Anyway, santa monica is energetic these days. When I was a kid in the 80s and 90s it was much quieter. Go to the 3rd st promenade on a weekend and the crowds rival Hollywood and Highland. The entertainment options are as good as the hottest spots in LA county. The bar and restaurant scene isn't quite Weho, hollywood, or downtown but it's not that far behind either.

I think santa monica has achieved the right balance. Let the old quiet people dominate the north and the south. the center is busy enough.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 PM

Yeah I remember a coworker tell me that one of her friends was paying like $700 a month in santa monica since her apartment was rent controlled....she was older but more in her 60s rather than her 80s...and still working.

There has definately been more happening in Santa Monica now..I think a lot of it is from the tech companies/startups that have opened in the area...the whole Silicon Beach thing.

I grew up on the westside too..and it seems as far as Santa Monica/3rd Street it was super popular,..then kind of died down pretty considerably as more shopping /entertainment areas opened up ..the Grove, Hollywood cleaned up, all the hipster areas like Echo Park,Silverlake, Downtown L.A,etc.. but in the past 2-3 years or so seems there's been a lot more trendy places open up that appeal to people that live in L.A/locals versus just the former spots that appealed more to tourists and didn't provide too much of a value. The typical overpriced 3rd street places more about 'ambiance' rather than food quality.
Seems a lot of concepts that are popular in other parts of L.A like Tender Greens and Stout Burgers have opened recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles