Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,049,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
If you go look at the Wikipedia entries for high schools around here (like the ones in Burbank or Sherman Oaks), you'll find long lists of alumni who are actors, etc. Just like post production, acting can be a "local" job.
Most of those names were people who got into the gig decades ago. Ever since the mid 2000s less and less Angelenos go into acting unless they just want to make some extra cash being an extra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:30 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,203,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
This thread is highlighting another thing I like about LA. Being in the industry is just another job for most people. I haven't heard anyone brag or treat entertainment as some holy kind of profession. Most folks are just like, "Yeah, I'm an actor/musician. What's your name?" Very straightforward and 'eh' about it. I like that
Heh. Years ago, I was in a bar and this woman started talking about her ex-husband. He was something like "the red Power Ranger" or the "Pink Ninja Turtle." (Never watched either show so I don't recall exactly what he was but it was something like that.) How weird is that? To live in a place where someone's actual profession is "the pink Power Ranger"?

Actually, I find a lot of people don't actually like to talk about it. And I usually don't ask except in the most general terms because I think it's considered rude around here.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:33 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,203,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Most of those names were people who got into the gig decades ago. Ever since the mid 2000s less and less Angelenos go into acting unless they just want to make some extra cash being an extra.
Younger people won't get their names on the list for another ten years. My best friend's kids all graduated from Burbank High and they are all involved in the biz in one way or another.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 PM

20 posts, read 19,281 times
I live in Burbank where a vast majority of the studios are and am surrounded by entertainment industry wannabees. Let's just say plenty work in the industry but your odds of becoming an a-lister are pretty damn low.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,310,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
As someone who worked on various sets. Im one of the few natives who's working on the set. And alot of those natives tend to work as grips, editing, post production etc. Most of the wannabes who want to get famous in the industry come from s omewhere else.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:04 PM

35 posts, read 60,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.lots View Post
I live in Burbank where a vast majority of the studios are and am surrounded by entertainment industry wannabees. Let's just say plenty work in the industry but your odds of becoming an a-lister are pretty damn low.
So sounds like hitting it big, like an 'A lister', are about as rare a becoming a successful musical act. Although still difficult, less notoriety positions seem to be attainable however.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:09 PM

140 posts, read 170,389 times
Any advice on networking and job searching for production jobs? Is online the best way to apply for jobs?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:24 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstania View Post
Any advice on networking and job searching for production jobs? Is online the best way to apply for jobs?
I've found all of my post-production jobs online. No connections, no networking. Just having a really solid reel and lot of work experience. But if you're looking to break into production, it is much harder to do online, especially if you're out of state. Companies will throw out non-local address applications because there's a huge pool of people to pull from that are local. Networking in the industry is kind of a catch 22. The easiest way to network is by having a production job where you can meet people who have connections. But you can't really get a good job in production unless you know someone. Do you have any friends in the industry? Knowing people that work in production helps so you can attend events, screenings, film sets as their plus one and network.

Do you have any experience? Education? A speciality? Demo reel? Can you use a friend or family member's local address here to apply for jobs?

Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,071,438 times
one-tenth of one percent,
the kind of 'success' you're thinking.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 PM

140 posts, read 170,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I've found all of my post-production jobs online. No connections, no networking. Just having a really solid reel and lot of work experience. But if you're looking to break into production, it is much harder to do online, especially if you're out of state. Companies will throw out non-local address applications because there's a huge pool of people to pull from that are local. Networking in the industry is kind of a catch 22. The easiest way to network is by having a production job where you can meet people who have connections. But you can't really get a good job in production unless you know someone. Do you have any friends in the industry? Knowing people that work in production helps so you can attend events, screenings, film sets as their plus one and network.

Do you have any experience? Education? A speciality? Demo reel? Can you use a friend or family member's local address here to apply for jobs?
I do have a few friends in the industry; one friend is getting great work in post. Unfortunately he is out of state for his current project.

I did a concentration at my uni for film and have worked on plenty of local productions in my city. My demo reel is bare because I do not want to pursue acting, nor would I have an editing reel. I am most interested in learning about assistant directing, which I was advised the path begins at PA (production assistant, lowest rung of ladder).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: