Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,417,985 times

Advertisements

1% (true 1%ers!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
If you're only making 50 bucks for a full day's work you're doing something wrong.

People make careers off of background work if they know how to do it correctly. Push for SAG/AFTRA vouchers from AD's so you hit the union pay raises, time and a half, lunch bumps, featured roles, etc. All of that will increase your base. Make sure you don't have a black/white/red vehicle, so you can hit the car pay bump when they need extra cars. Being ridiculously good looking or a an extreme typecast helps tremendously. There's a place for face tatted Mexicans just as much as white, crew cut beefy looking police dudes.

Granted a lot of people don't make crap through Central Casting, but I know a few people who have gone on to become stand-ins on television shows and movies. Not very glamorous, but you can make a decent living off of it. Most people who sign up for Central though, have no clue what they're doing and just become another sheep in the cattle call.
I used to work with a guy (back in the '80s) who moved here and wanted to be an actor. He had a regular day job and he auditioned for stuff pretty often. He did some plays at a community theater. He got on a game show. He got some bit parts on TV shows and movies.

Fast forward to now: He supports himself acting. He gets lots of bit parts. He's had a couple of national commercials. I don't know if he still does theater or not, but I know that he no longer has to have a day job to pay the bills.

Is he successful? Well, I think he is. He actually makes enough doing what he wants to do to pay his bills. Is he a household name? No -- but if you look him up on IMDB you'll find that he's got between 50 to 100 credits for various things. That's pretty good.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 PM

35 posts, read 60,310 times
Although back in the 80s, I would think there were much more opportunities than there is now. Today I view the industry as very closed and timeline based. Movies/TV and cast are planned years in advance and there doesn't seem to be much room for outsiders. Also Hollywood has become more conservative and has focused on Tent Pole Blockbuster movies and has avoided releasing indie and low budget types. This makes it even harder for the little guy/gal to break in. Apparently programmers have made sophisticated algorithms that estimate the profitability of films based on Genre, Actors, theme etc. I understand that bit roles can be lucrative, but once it's over they may not find constant work afterwords.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
1% (true 1%ers!).
Less than that. Maybe 0.1%

Old 03-16-2015, 05:29 PM

There is a lot of nepotism in the industry and it's been like that for quite a while. Many of the big actors/actresses today are actually related to others in the industry or they grew up around here.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:44 PM

35 posts, read 60,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
There is a lot of nepotism in the industry and it's been like that for quite a while. Many of the big actors/actresses today are actually related to others in the industry or they grew up around here.
I definitely! While guys like James Franco are especially talented, there is no way his brother Dave would of gotten those roles without James connections. I can go on and on about all the related stars (even some that change their names to distance themselves).

Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,417,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Less than that. Maybe 0.1%
Especially in these lean times, you may be closer than me with your estimate.

Years ago (over 30 years ago) I was part of a small group of people doing some indy films as a side project from our day jobs.

There was one guy who was a director / actor. He was probably the one who got the closest. But in the end, he landed in the more financially predictable realm of tech.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,476,745 times
The NY Jews ans NY Italians don't seem to have a problem succeeding in Hollywood.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusa View Post
I definitely! While guys like James Franco are especially talented, there is no way his brother Dave would of gotten those roles without James connections. I can go on and on about all the related stars (even some that change their names to distance themselves).
I dunno much about James Franco so I had to look him up. Here's his bio in a nutshell:

Born in California. Mother was an actress. Went to high school in CA where he acted in plays. Came to UCLA as an English major but wanted to act. James Franco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What would his chances have been if he had been born in Ohio and went to the University of Ohio instead?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 AM

280 posts, read 326,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Who knows, prob very low. I know maybe 5-10 people that came to LA to work for the industry. Most can't even get a legit gig outside of being an "extra" for 50 bucks a day.
I used to do it back in the 80's for 25 bucks a day and a McDonald's lunch.

I'm a household name, if my household counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: