Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,320,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
There is a lot of nepotism in the industry and it's been like that for quite a while. Many of the big actors/actresses today are actually related to others in the industry or they grew up around here.
This is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 02:18 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,192,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
This is true.
I remember going to see my doctor once (he's kind of a celebrity doc)..... There was a young girl (approx. 14 - 15 years old) in the waiting room. She was really tiny but she had the biggest breasts I had ever seen on such a young girl. I mentioned it to my doctor "kids sure are maturing quickly these days" and he said "She's an actress. Those are implants."

It kind of gives you an idea of how things work around here.... Some of these famous people actually had parents who pushed them at a young age. Moved them here and pushed them into the industry before they really had much say in anything.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusa View Post
Why wouldn't someone who relocated to LA (and all the downsides that entails) want to aspire to be a top Actor, Producer, Screenwriter or Director? I know several people who work in the Industry (production, cast & crew), but they are what I would just consider regular employees than what people would consider Hollywood stars. Plus they really don't make that great of a living based on the cost of living in the area.
Lot's of people don't aspire to that stuff. MOST people actually do just want to earn a living and have a life that isn't public. It can be a good place to live even if you aren't famous and rich, although money helps with everything in CA.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,033,906 times
Anyone else notice that the vast majority of people trying to make it in the biz aren't from LA or California? It seems like the locals usually don't care to get into entertainment unless its music, maybe. 9/10s of the wannabes I've met have been from out of state.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Anyone else notice that the vast majority of people trying to make it in the biz aren't from LA or California? It seems like the locals usually don't care to get into entertainment unless its music, maybe. 9/10s of the wannabes I've met have been from out of state.
The people I know who are in the entertainment industry in some way are mostly from CA. But they aren't trying to be famous they just do it because it's here and it IS an industry with jobs that can be done. Editors, sound designers, artists off various types. When you grow up around people do that it's just another type of job.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:08 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,468,864 times
With all the data floating around the actual number could probably be calculated.

According to the census 51K people moved into LA in 2012... just figure out where the industry jobs stats are and you could calculate the %.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,033,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The people I know who are in the entertainment industry in some way are mostly from CA. But they aren't trying to be famous they just do it because it's here and it IS an industry with jobs that can be done. Editors, sound designers, artists off various types. When you grow up around people do that it's just another type of job.
Of course, you're right, I just meant the ones trying to be famous by being actors or actresses.

Now that you mention it, the only people I know from CA that are in the biz are in post production, behind the camera kinda stuff.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:23 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Who knows, prob very low. I know maybe 5-10 people that came to LA to work for the industry. Most can't even get a legit gig outside of being an "extra" for 50 bucks a day.
Lots of them work in restaurants and hotels and trade off shifts when they go out on a cast call. My husband's brother and his friends have done this for years and years. They get small parts, but nothing big.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:59 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,192,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Of course, you're right, I just meant the ones trying to be famous by being actors or actresses.

Now that you mention it, the only people I know from CA that are in the biz are in post production, behind the camera kinda stuff.
If you go look at the Wikipedia entries for high schools around here (like the ones in Burbank or Sherman Oaks), you'll find long lists of alumni who are actors, etc. Just like post production, acting can be a "local" job.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:56 AM

192 posts, read 250,383 times
This thread is highlighting another thing I like about LA. Being in the industry is just another job for most people. I haven't heard anyone brag or treat entertainment as some holy kind of profession. Most folks are just like, "Yeah, I'm an actor/musician. What's your name?" Very straightforward and 'eh' about it. I like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: