Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times

Advertisements

You still sound ridiculous. I am not a realtor and I'm in West Adams more than enough and not just to drop off a package. I've been to many ghetto areas across North America and clearly this is far from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 AM

Better yet take a walk on Adams Blvd from Crenshaw to Western.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
jeffsandimas, when was the last time you were in west adams? I was just there saturday night at a party. The hosts were a white couple and the majority of the people there were white. I went to an open house there just yesterday and it was jammed packed. The house was on the market for $950,000. I also know two more people who have purchased homes in west adams south of adams blvd. One is an african american single female real estate agent and the other is a single white male attorney and both love it. My brother and his wife bought a home in leimert park in 2010 and love it. Get out of your typical old school la thinking. This is 2015, not 1994. Good grief.
+1

Old 03-30-2015, 07:26 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,272 times
Quote:
You still sound ridiculous. I am not a realtor and I'm in West Adams more than enough and not just to drop off a package. I've been to many ghetto areas across North America and clearly this is far from it.
May I be frank and ask your background? It does make a difference and you know it, at least in regards to how you perceive places and how people perceive you.

The whole area, West Adams, Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park etc. is undesirable. I mean, desirability is a relative thing and again it is more desireable than somewhere farther south like Inglewood, however it is not desirable for anyone who has a higher standard. Your idea of a nice place to live may be somewhere, where gang tags are only on every other street, and you only hear gun shots maybe once or twice a week but for many people accustomed to first world style living, it is not.

Let me put it this way, I was apprehensive about getting out of my car to buy a pack of cigarettes and pump gas at dusk on a weeknight. I'm a native Angeleno who did not grow up on the west side, and I worked in Pomona as a teen for years at nights. Pomona is ghetto as ever, and "West Adams" (a very pretty name for what it actually is, South Central) is worse, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. It's irrelevant how many made up stories you tell me about cocktail parties hosted by white yuppies in their South Central Queen Anne Home, it's the hood.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
Are you a realtor by any chance?
I gave you more credit than I should have. Your posts are way exaggerated and full of paranoid delusions. Looks like "Bill and Ted" from that movie in San Dimas had more reason/logic than you.

You accuse a guy of being a realtor shill just because he disagrees with you?

To the OP: I am white and I would consider that area to buy a home. A former neighbor of mine (who is Asian) lives there now and he likes it. His only major complaint is the distance from really good retail services.

I agree you should get out there in the evening and walk the specific area you are considering. The only caveat I would give is I am not sure about buying at this point in the cycle anywhere. Prices are just so ridiculously high everywhere...but this is LA.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,272 times
I think it's disingenuous to portray this area as upscale. I don't consider myself paranoid, but denying the fact that this is the second largest city in the United States, and we have a gang problem and a crime problem in our cities lower income communities - of which this area is one is something that I think should definitely be disclosed.

If the OP feels comfortable walking around in this area at the wee hours of night then I don't think that it will be an issue. However, to be frank I don't think he will.

I accused the aforementioned poster of being a realtor is because they popped in talking about the area and describing it as if they were talking about Pacific Palisades or something. It's one thing if you think that the area is not as bad as I feel that it is, because I am very conscious of safety a and not a fan of up and coming areas - but to describe the area in a way that made it sound like an upscale, yuppie type community comparable to parts of the Westside or Echo Park which has turned around 360 from 10 years ago or something, is nothing less than disingenuous. Perhaps there is a tiny "hipster" demographic there, but the foot traffic and retail in the area doesn't reflect that at all. By and large it's still a densely populated area filled with lots of poor people, some of which are criminally inclined.

I feel like this is "pre-emptive" gentrification. I noticed something similar to that in New York as well when I was out there a while ago.

The Internet was buzzing about how formerly poor minority dominated ghettoes in Brooklyn were now completely gentrified and filled with white hipsters. I actually went to one of these areas and maybe saw one upscale bar, and two or three very scared looking white hipsters walking around surrounded by ghetto types hanging out and the usual "hood retail" of pawn, liquor stores, unsanitary looking mom & pop food establishments like chicken or taco shops etc.

West Adams is probably not even that far in the process. Someone who lives there will need to get in their car and go quite a ways away to get to nice stores, restaurants, bars etc. the housing stock is very nice and it has potential but that describes lots of bad areas in Los Angeles, like Boyle
Heights or Westlake.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:13 AM

First off it wasn't a cocktail party it was a cookout. 2nd, you are fairly young, you were born here and you may not have traveled much in your young life. Have you been to Camden NJ, Gary IN, East St Louis or parts of Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, Newark NJ, New Orleans or Detroit? If you think West Adams is undesirable then clearly you haven't been to many cities or have seen rough areas.
I am older than you, college educated and I am not a realtor. I moved to LA in 2010, but I lived here briefly in the early 90s. I also lived in Seattle, Washington DC, Dallas, Newark NJ and NY. I have always lived in cities. Not a suburban guy.
You almost sound like a troll but I think it's just your lack of knowledge or experience in the area. I don't know where you live but clearly just reading your post you know nothing about the area.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I love West Adams. It's quiet, historic and has lots of charm. It's close and convenient to just about everywhere in the LA Basin. For $700,000 I would definitely buy here.
This is how I described West Adams. I don't think this is saying the area is upscale nor did I mention Pacific Palisades. Pacific Palisades is wealthy but charming and historic it is not.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Well, I'm white, and I've lived in the 90016 for about ten years now. And this whole thread is comedy.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 AM

329 posts, read 628,054 times
Newsflash!!
LA was all mexican before white people came and replaced them. Over several decades mexicans have replaced whites. It is now white people's turn to replace them once more. LOL Just kidding.

West adams definitely has problems but I see huge opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles