Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:04 AM

517 posts, read 1,705,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
California will run out of water in a year and should begin rationing its use immediately, NASA scientist says
The state only has one year of supply left in its reservoirs due to persistent drought and is also running out of backup groundwater, Jay Famiglietti, senior water scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, wrote.
California will run out of water reserves in a year and should begin rationing the precious resource immediately, NASA scientist says | Daily Mail Online

I'm interested in the drought situation in California and your opinions on where it's all heading. No doubt this article is as much about grabbing attention as real truth. But even so, it's obviously an issue.

Does anyone know just how much of the plant life/vegetation in Southern California is mostly supported by artificial means? I know most plants were introduced rather than naturally arrived there, because the natural state of the South is semi-arid. Does this mean without water being directed in from elsewhere the land would be fairly desert-like in appearance? Just curious.

Where do you lay any blame for high water usage, is it high population, sheer waste or what else?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know that agriculture uses 80% of the water in California. This needs to be drastically cut back.

For natural landscapes, just look at our local mountains and deserts. No green lawns, right? Joshua trees in the desert, chaparral in our local mountains.

I'm not sure there is such high water usage unless you're talking about golf courses, hotel pools in Palm Springs, etc. Water saving toilets, etc. have made a difference. Now if only new construction would ease up... I realize there is a severe housing shortage in L.A. County, but how many people can be supported in this region? I believe we're already a few million over whatever that number is.

We're going to be in real trouble, possibly in less time than a year (that timeline is only an estimate).

Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM

642 posts, read 2,553,769 times
The green lawns drive me crazy. I can see the houses for sale and some have nice new lawns and to me that is a draw back. We need hard scape yards and should have started desal plant for agriculture YEARS ago. Its a big reason why I am nervous about buying again instead of renting. There was already one small CA town where they were delivering free bottled water to elderly since they didnt have any more water to come out of the pipes. And still no one is freaking out about it. It is a real concern for me. I dont want to be a old woman fighting with young people over water. :/

Old 03-15-2015, 07:13 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
I said in another thread a while back, that sooner or later, the federal government is going to have to build a line similar to the Alaskan pipe line, to bring much needed water to the southwest.
Alaska, the mid west, and the northeast have more water than they can possibly use.
This line (just like the oil pipe line) will create jobs for American workers, and could possibly solve the water crisis in the southwest for many years to come.
I do believe it will be built some day, but don't expect it in my lifetime.

Bob.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:49 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
The green lawns drive me crazy.
Well most of us like green lawns, because they keep the city cooler. If everybody in L.A. got rid of their green lawn, temps would be 10 degrees higher every damn day. No thanks!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I said in another thread a while back, that sooner or later, the federal government is going to have to build a line similar to the Alaskan pipe line, to bring much needed water to the southwest.
They should have addressed this issue decades ago, when L.A.'s water requisites began to exceed what Mullholand's aqueducts were intended to provide. But alas, our politicians let L.A. and the surrounding area become over-developed, and failed to require develpers to pay for L.A.'s increased water needs, probably because they were too busy getting their pockets lined, which is typically the case for corrupt scumbags, from our governors, to County Supervisors, right on down to city hall et al.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:56 AM

280 posts, read 326,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know that agriculture uses 80% of the water in California. This needs to be drastically cut back.

We're going to be in real trouble, possibly in less time than a year (that timeline is only an estimate).
Did you just say that? Are you saying we need to grow less food in CA?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
Tctm, as a temporary solution until we get a reliable source of water - yes. I'd start with crops that use the most waster, especially ones we export most of, like almonds. It's more important for people to be able to flush their toilets and take showers, let alone have drinking water.

What's the alternative? Business as usual until the taps run dry? Sao Paulo, Brazil is going through that right now; 20 million people are running out of water. I don't want us to be in the same situation a year from now - or even sooner.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
Did you just say that? Are you saying we need to grow less food in CA?
Yes. We would survive without almonds.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 AM

26 posts, read 63,018 times
Just as I was contemplating moving back home to L.A. Eeeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles