Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for posting such good information. I am on the same boat as jslatch, and may end up with a good pay job opportunity (90-110k) next to UCLA campus. We have no kids and my wife plans not to work for a year or two. School is not important for us yet. My ideal is a place where my wife feels safe, and I can take the metro and be at work in 30-45 minutes. I do not want to drive in traffic. Is this doable? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,380 times
LA is not known for it's public transportation. No I don't think it would be doable. The most unsavory characters ride public transit in Los Angeles... not recommended.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
ptorab, I have another suggestion. Rent in West L.A., and your wife will feel safer. West L.A., south of Wilshire and next to Culver City, Mar Vista, Santa Monica is where the apartment/condo rentals are. I believe your salary would qualify you, and your own commute to UCLA will be one without freeways. You can't avoid traffic driving in L.A. anywhwere, sorry to inform you.

Again, THERE IS NO METRO BETWEEN UCLA (West L.A.) AND ANYWHERE ELSE. NO TRAINS. Just some Express bus options. To clarify Des Demona's statement., the Metro trains, which go between Downtown, North Hollywood, Hollywood and Long Beach are actually okay compared to riding the bus.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:17 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
LA is not known for it's public transportation. No I don't think it would be doable. The most unsavory characters ride public transit in Los Angeles... not recommended.
Metrolink (the train) is very clean and loaded with business people, students, moms with kids, etc. It's nothing like what I imagine riding on the bus would be like. I've never seen anyone who looked homeless on Metrolink -- but it's also a lot more expensive than the buses are.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,380 times
Well the metrolink costs more than gas money so I really don't consider than an option for me. Plus the routes aren't convenient for what this poster has in mind. That's all I was saying. If they want to take the city bus, well.... I just shudder to think of it.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 20,963 times
Default Work at UCLA want to buy a house

Hello All:

I am a UCLA employee for the last 8 years and recently had a kid. Although, we are very happy with the apartment we rent (1.8 miles from campus). We are looking for a safe area with good schools and also I think we have a need for more space and it is time to buy a house. My wife works in China town.

We can probably afford 600K for the house and I know that means one thing for sure LONG COMMUTE to work for both of us. We both like culver city area a lot but it is very difficult to find a good house in this range. Our next choices are Calabasas, Simi Valley, Oak Park, Moorpark. I have never had a long commute in my life and I know it would need a big adjustment on my part. My wife on the other hand is used to sitting in traffic but shudders at the idea of adding another 60 minutes to her daily commute.

I would like to hear from people who live in the above areas and work in West LA. Also if anybody has any other locations which would suit our needs and budget please advise.

Thank you

Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
Hi! Yay I can answer this one for you... I actually WORK at UCLA myself. Let me ask you this: Is your husband getting a REALLY REALLY good job here? If he's being accepted as a faculty member or a researcher or a top level CEO executive, director etc. you should be fine. If you are moving here just to accept some admin job I would definitely NOT recommend doing it.

That said... UCLA has a number of transportation opportunities like a Van pool and carpooling. I live in Simi Valley and commute to UCLA everyday so I can tell you exactly how long it takes. It's about 26 miles and it takes about an hour both ways (in the morning and afternoon). In the LA area you are pretty much just sitting there with stop and go but once you hit the 118 Fwy (nearing Ventura County) you can easily drive 80 MPH as I do The commute is really long and painful but it helps that I ride-share with two friends so I don't have to drive every day. Let me just say this, the 405 freeway SUCKS so if you have any illusions of going to LA for fun on the weekends prepare for the 405 to ruin that for you as it does for me.

Now... UCLA is in Westwood and it's just a bunch of high-rise buildings, a lot of smog, a lot of really bitter and jaded people and stuck up 3-piece suit types, joggers etc. UCLA is a great employer, I won't lie about that. The benefits are great, the pay could be better but I get treated pretty well in my position. Anywhere else in LA is going to be scary. As long as you live outside of LA you might be okay. Just prepare for a horrible stressful commute. Expect that your husband will be angry and exhausted when he gets home after a day of work cuz that's how I feel. It makes one feel old... I feel old and I'm 25.

I don't know much about Hermosa Beach but I can tell you that Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks and Calabasas are really nice communities and great places to raise kids. They are also some of the most expensive places to live. The condo across the way from me sold for almost $500,000 so you could probably do a Condo or an older house in Simi. I love living in Simi (lifes much slower here) but the day to day commute and the LA attitudes I deal with at work are forcing me to make a huge decision and move out of state for the first time. Also in Simi Valley LA is finally reaching it. We're getting some illegal immigrants, homeless etc. Just be prepared... give yourself a couple years in LA and you'll be ready to leave again. Southern Cali is not the bay area. There's a whole different (nasty) mentality here. I hope you are ready for it.

My advice? If your husband has other job offers in other places, take those instead. If you have any other questions about UCLA or Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks I can probably answer them. You can post Q's here or PM me. Hope that helps.
So let me understand this: West LA "is full of bitter and jaded people" while the balance of los angeles is "scary". Funny, 405 south is jammed on weekends as well from all those safe suburbians heading to west la to shop and for entertainment.

Your really slamming West Los Angeles residents and I think your totally inaccurate.

If anything, the residents of west la have endure a reduced quality of life because of the hoards of commuters who choose to live in the valley and commute to los angeles everyday. Some days it takes me 45 minutes to simply drive from brentwood to westwood. Why?, because all the "valley commuters" leaching off the residential side streets to cut around their fellow commuters on the 405.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,118 times
Hi,
I have read your post and, as I am considering -very seriously- graduate school at UCLA (I have been accepted already). But I have many doubts about neoghbourhoods, cost of living and this stuff. Maybe you can be sooooo kind and help me. Thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 20,963 times
Hi CLP:

Here is a link which will answer most of your questions regarding the neighborhoods near and around UCLA.

Private Housing in the Surrounding Community

Good Luck!!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM

37 posts, read 149,385 times
Default New job at UCLA

I too work at UCLA. Live as close as you can.. I also work in Santa Monica, which is about 30 blocks from the UCLA-Westwood hospital, and can take 40 minute to 1 hour during the afternoon to travel between the two.
Yes that's right 40-60 minute to travel 30 blocks during 3-7PM.

I would not buy right now by any means. Housing prices are expected to downturn from current prices by about 30-40%, even in good areas (Goldman-Sacks projection, Case-Shiller graphs,etc). Down about 17% this year alone. California, is just behind Nevada in foreclosures. that = cheaper housing to come, so don't buy. Check out the NY times rent vs own calculator to see if it's worth it to buy. Most likely it won't.

Check out Craigslist, or Multiple Listing Service Los Angeles Real Estate - TheMLS.com for rentals. 2 bedrooms go for around 2500 or so. Don't bother with westside rentals - filled with tons of fake adds to lure you in.

UCLA has some housing assistance offer for faculty. Don't count on it. You'll need to be evaluated, and then voted on to see if you qualify, and takes a looong time to get through. You need to be full time, and at least an asst prof to qualify.

Schooling - nearly all faculty members I know send their kids to $$$ private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles