Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,898,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't care if they are entertaining their kids legally but if they do it illegally I have zero sympathy for them. I'm sure my neighbors kids were thoroughly entertained by all the cherry bombs and m 80s daddy was using to blow random crap up.
Oh, yes, legally is good and illegal is bad. Those brave Sondercomanden catching Jews (in germany) were doing so quite legally and their government was democratically elected... And those criminals hiding them, were breaking laws and had to be persecuted to the utmost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 04:25 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,517,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Do you really want to put 10000 otherwise decent people to jail just for firing off fireworks to entertain their children or even themselves??? Dear Lord, save us from neighbors like you.
There's a mattress wherehouse in LA that burned down due to illegal fireworks. The 30 plus employees now out of ja ob just might disagree with you.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:24 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,997,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Do you really want to put 10000 otherwise decent people to jail just for firing off fireworks to entertain their children or even themselves??? Dear Lord, save us from neighbors like you.
Their kids could, and should be entertained at LEGAL fireworks shows.

Bob.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 PM

645 posts, read 751,774 times
they should be banned they are pointless....its ok when professionals do it at a show...but when regular people do it they just get stupid with it..they are so dangerous why people would want to risk burning something down just to stare at a light in the sky floors me...the noise itself isn't even pleasant it sounds like your in a war zone...they are illegal where I live but people don't seem to care...also cleaning up all the debris in my front yard and back yard from other peoples stupidity wasn't fun.....

Old 07-05-2015, 09:28 PM

399 posts, read 407,528 times
There are definitely more illegal fireworks around this year than past years, at least in my area. Like the OP mentioned, they've started setting off much heavier stuff than in the past. Used to be you'd get the random crackles and pops leading up to and following the 4th. Now I'm hearing huge explosions, like a battleship gun going off outside my window. Ridiculous. What's even worse, the punks have no respect for the neighborhood. Last night they set one of those nuclear blasts off right outside my window at 2am. If I found the idiots who were doing it, they'd be picking through the ashes of their home today instead of sleeping off a hangover.

If your kids are ENTERTAINED by setting off flashing lights and explosions then you should've aborted the mouthbreathers when you had the chance. Seriously, quit making stupid kids. Have the decency to not throw any more turds into the gene pool. Either that or teach the idiots to be entertained by something worthwhile instead of dollar bills going up in smoke.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:28 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,997,949 times
I have been mulling this over for the past three years, and because the fireworks started much earlier, and more powerful than in years past, I am going to request a meeting with my state representative in the legislature and work to get a bill passed to ban ALL fireworks except for venues like the rose bowl.
Sale, import, and use banned, and strictly enforced, with extremely stiff penalties.
Enough is enough.
I will be contacting my rep in the morning.
Meetings are hard to get, but I WILL have that meeting.

This practice is way out of control, and it is time to do something about it.
Naturally the people who set up shop in shopping center parking lots are not going to be happy, but if they want a fight, they will damm well get one.

It is so stupid to just ban fireworks in the city of Los Angeles (without enforcing it), when a short ten minute drive to Alhambra, and one can buy all they want.
That needs to stop, and a statewide ban on sales and use will do just that.
Every piece of legislation starts with one person.
Someone has to start the ball rolling, and in this case I choose to do it.

I have gotten involved in community matters in the past with good results, and this is no different.
The principal is the same.
See something wrong, and get changes made.

I welcome help from anyone in the state, and especially the city of Los Angeles, who cares about this, and wants to get involved.
Direct message me if interested.

Bob.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,789,377 times
Police have better things to do

Old 07-06-2015, 05:28 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,867,489 times
Here in Florida we have a stupid loophole in the law regarding fireworks. It is illegal to set them off, but you can buy them at any number of fireworks tents that go up every year. The loophole is, they sell them as agricultural items to scare birds away from your crops ! Only farmers are supposed to buy them, but that sure ain't the case.

Don

Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here in Florida we have a stupid loophole in the law regarding fireworks. It is illegal to set them off, but you can buy them at any number of fireworks tents that go up every year. The loophole is, they sell them as agricultural items to scare birds away from your crops ! Only farmers are supposed to buy them, but that sure ain't the case.

Don
Here it is a series of local municipal ordinances. Meaning cross the city border into unincorporated LA County land or a city that does allow "safe and sane" fireworks and there is a temporary shed set up right before the forth and Chinese New Year. Then there is the black market and the firecrackers and other higher grade explosives.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 AM

14 posts, read 9,797 times
The problem isn't legal fireworks, that are being sold in select cities, but the illegal ones, that are brought in from Nevada, Mexico and China.

I'm in San Pedro and I will be moving out of the L.A. area due to this. Sounds trivial, but last year (my first year here) it started in June and stopped end of July and I swore that I'd leave town before the following year.

Somehow I'm still here and this year it started middle of May. Every damn night. Huge bombs at any random times in the late afternoon all through the night. It will only get worse, because those that supply will make sure that there's always something available. It'll go to August and that means next year it'll probably start beginning of may and go to end of August.

The booms are louder this year, because the explosives supposedly come from China and somehow fall off the boat, before they hit the port/customs etc. And that's why the South Bay area is worse than the rest of L.A. So many people here are working at the port and they all cover for each other.

Last year New Years Eve wasn't so bad, but I assume that was because there was a strike and so many boats were idling in the ports for weeks, that the product didn't arrive.

Haven't had a good nights sleep in almost 2 months and my dog is such a nervous wreck, he no longer wants to go home, when we take a walk. I have to take him in a car and walk him somewhere else, otherwise he will sit down and not walk towards the house, because he thinks of it as a house of horror, because of the constant booms. He's too heavy for me to carry him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles