Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 41,508 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I am moving back to So Cal (I used to live in Long Beach). My job is located in Thousand Oaks and I am trying to figure out where to live. I am 32, recently married and looking to start a family in the next 2-3 years. My Wifes family lives in West LA so we would like to live closer to LA than Thousand Oaks so we be closer to them. We are looking in the Woodland Hills, Canoga Park, Reseda area. We want to buy a house and our budget is about 500k. We really love mid-century modern architecture and we have seem some really nice homes in Reseda (with pools!) in our budget - but we are not at all familiar with the neighborhoods. Any suggestions on areas to focus on or avoid? Will my commute be too horrible (I am fine with 45-60 minutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 03:26 PM

169 posts, read 153,023 times
Generally the closer you get to the hills the safer and nicer. I'd live in Thousand Oaks. Really safe, clean and newer everything.

I used to have a house with a pool. Never again! Spent about 100 hours maintaining for every hour of use. Constantly checking PH, adding muriatic acid, adding chlorine, algeacide, keeping the water level up, cleaning debris, cleaning strainer, scraping the pool floor, taking apart and cleaning the filter once every few months. Then you have to drain the water every several years because too many dissolved solids get into the water. By that time you probably have to refinish the pool because the concrete has stains. Maintaining a pool NEVER ENDS! And you're worried about an extra 20 minutes of commute to her parents once a week maybe??? Pools are also dangerous. Sometimes people drown. Someone drowned at Demi Moore's house recently.
Just take the kids to a public pool.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:31 PM

3,373 posts, read 2,907,714 times
Thousand oaks, or western of it - less heat, get some breeze from the ocean.
Calabasas, Agoura Hills - good schools.
West hills/Woodland Hills - cheaper than previous destinations, closer to Proper LA, still some good schools can be found

Old 07-26-2015, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 41,508 times
We definitely want to be closer to LA than Thousand Oaks. We also have friends who live in LA proper and the South Bay, and we like to go out to dinner sometimes during the week, trips to the beach/museums/etc on the weekends.

Thanks for the lecture on the pools, hyuk17. Sounds like you didn't use yours very much, so I can see why you would be frustrated with maintaining it.

Thanks for the tip on west hills, brrabbit. I will check that area out! Woodland Hills and West Hills have some homes at the top of our price range but it sounds like it may be worth it to get into some better neighborhoods and better schools.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 PM

169 posts, read 153,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoo83 View Post
Thanks for the lecture on the pools, hyuk17. Sounds like you didn't use yours very much, so I can see why you would be frustrated with maintaining it.
Maintaining a pool is a chore that never ends. Also think about how much BETTER of a home you could afford if you got one without a pool.
Woodland Hills is nice. I'd still spend an afternoon in Thousand Oaks. Maybe even do some house hunting just for the hell of it. You could always try to split the difference. Check out Calabasas maybe.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 AM

6,245 posts, read 3,626,598 times
Encino and Tarzana are about halfway between TO and LA distance-wise. Sherman Oaks is another option, being slightly close to LA.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:14 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,925,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Encino and Tarzana are about halfway between TO and LA distance-wise. Sherman Oaks is another option, being slightly close to LA.
Pro tip: Sherman Oaks, Encino, and Tarzana are neighborhoods of the city of LA.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,229,577 times
the commute to TO from the valley can be pretty rough. your budget is pretty low for a single family house in a nice neighborhood like woodland hills. you may be able to find something in west hills that needs some TLC. as for reseda and canoga park, you have to be careful there. those areas have become lower income, especially where there are a lot of apartment buildings. there are some nice single family home areas though, just make sure to check crime reports if you find something you like (la times has a good crime mapping tool). and if you plan on raising a family at this house, you'll need to be mindful of schools. public schools in much of the valley are rated poorly. at 500k, you'll be limited to condos in areas with good public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles