Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:38 PM

368 posts, read 413,211 times

Advertisements

I still enjoy living here ( & Im FAR from rich ) but, Id also like to experience how the other half lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
seems you are not past following the trend after all. Exactly what in Malibu suits your particular need of life? Do you think you really have much to gain by living in a house in Malibu? You want it because it is considered by others to be an upscale place and it is still a status thing.

I'd rather live in Culver city than Malibu. Malibu is really boring.
Or culver city too. I just threw a city out on the Westside. At the same time, Malibu is desirable because it's a prime piece of coastal California. It's beautiful. Why would you think that I just want to live there because it's a status thing?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you planning to move soon? Would it be back to Texas?
I don't think you should regret things or feel behind. You likely experienced things that the people back home will never be able to experience. All our experiences are unique and we should value that.
If they are giving out free houses in Malibu..just let me know!
I've got a while before I move back and it won't be back home. It will be in another city in the same state, possibly Austin or San Antonio. I'd love to live in the hills near the lakes. It pretty and probably the closest thing to California there is in Texas and even then it's prolly only akin to moving to Sacramento at best.

That's several years from now though. I'm finishing up graduate studies and gaining more experience to take back to Texas. If I go now I don't think I'd enjoy it at my salary. I really want to experience having a high salary in a low cost area. Many do this back home if they connect to the top industries there. It's only right actually be able to build something and actually have the ability to take care of family and not be bound by financial insecurity. It's not a status thing.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
A lot of perspective changes as you age, give up the trappings of youth and start to look at how you are going to support yourself after you age and corporate America decides that you're worthless to them.
Los Angeles is a youth orientated culture that spend their wages on what makes them feel and look good when they are out in public.

The facade of success is so important to them that they turn a blind eye towards future security until a economic storm comes along and sends them back to their parents for economic shelter.

The middle class are pretty much stuck in their golden cages called houses and mortgages with little or no decretionary income left over to enjoy any distractions that could be considered recreational which then leaves the upper 10% who live the lives that are captured on television as what imaginary life in California is like in the neighborhoods that are so regulated that you need permission to do anything to your house and property and heaven help you if you want to park your car on the street overnight !

The 1% live the lives of the rich and famous which are on the news to allow us to wish we could be like them as we watch their endless display of expensive toys that are bought through corporate tax write offs.
There used to be a famous saying about "He who dies with the most toys wins".
That still is the mantra here.
I would wager that the vast majority of the middle class in LA are renters. Certainly the case in my mostly-middle class, mostly-rental neighborhood.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
If you think the upper-middle class lives like the poor you're just disconnected from reality. I know young people making ~$25,000/year that eat out every day, drive decent cars, go to the movies every few weeks, go to music and comedy shows frequently, etc.
Aren't you the guy who wants a 4,000 sq ft house and Bentleys in the driveway?
Perhaps the previous poster was exaggerating about the upper middle class living like the poor, but not by a lot. People making 25K doing the things you talk about are being subsidized by someone (living at home rent free with family or milking the welfare system).

Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I get lost in such desire for house every time.
Tell me, how many people your family has, and why exactly do you need 2700 sf with 3 bathroom? Do you even use most of the space?

I don't think QoL has much to do with living space. Having some sort of house project every single weekend isn't what I consider high QoL either. It is downright boring.
I'm in complete agreement with you. But at the same time, paying a high % of your income for a very basic place (i.e. cheaply built apartment with few or no amenities), as many Angelenos do (and Bay Areans as well), creates a lot of stress. In a place like L.A. the high housing costs aren't really an option or self imposed. There a given for all but the top 10% income earners (or maybe the top 20%), as another poster said.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:04 PM

755 posts, read 675,301 times
Whatever. I will be moving back after a ten year hiatus. There are plenty of things to do that are free.....

Old 09-02-2015, 10:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
That's good you are finishing graduate studies. Seems to make sense to wait it out until then. I agree it's good to have a high salary in a lower cost area.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Perhaps the previous poster was exaggerating about the upper middle class living like the poor, but not by a lot. People making 25K doing the things you talk about are being subsidized by someone (living at home rent free with family or milking the welfare system).
Yeah I agree. There are a lot of people driving some nice cars in L.A, but oftentimes they are living at home with their family rent free. It's possible to drive a new BMW,Audi or Mercedes if you don't really have any other expenses.

I knew a girl that drove a brand new Audi , it wasn't the cheapest model of Audi either..if she was paying rent and her own expenses there is no way she would be able to afford it...I think she was making under $40,000 a year.

There seem to be a surprising amount of people that are subsidized even in their late 20s ,30s or beyond.

I know a girl that is in her mid 20s and is moving out of her parents home and getting a place with her boyfriend. Apparently the boyfriend's family has money and will be paying their rent. It'll be in a nice part of the valley.

Housing costs would be a lot lower in L.A without these subsidies, whether it's family , government or a sugar daddy/momma.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
and fakeness
A cheaper response to a cheap answer.

Fakeness how? I hope you have a better answer than the ones you were able to muster in your mindless rant about In-N-Out Burger sucking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles