Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:22 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,020,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
your so-called "better value" is nothing but house price, I suppose?

I live on the top floor which means nobody is above me. I walk to work and almost everything else. And there is very low crime to speak of. Yet it is a big city, not in the middle of nowhere where you see nothing but cookie cutter houses just like your own and the nearest decent restaurant is 7 miles away.

It is fine to live in the heartland, but don't pretend you got the better deal. You just bought something cheaper.
Good god, the level of ignorance is high on this forum. What you think LA is the only place with bookstores, cafes and co-ops? I am not talking about living out in the sticks either but at least in a cheaper city. Better value is a place that hasn't been flooded by people all over the world inflating the prices.

It isn't pretending either. You guys talk about things you can't even quantify as though you've reached Nirvana and things like land, homes, equity, savings, retirement, don't matter at a middle class salary for most Americans.

I'm sorry someone wasn't "real" by being a jerk and telling you to have a good day or whatnot some of you find preposterously "fake". I am sorry someone cannot see how having less "narrow minded" people, great weather and being able to drive five mins to the grocery store is somehow a hot item on your list but for most practical people it doesn't even count as a measurable factor in dollars and cents. That's my point and my only point. That it depends largely on your value system. But in the end you can mock cookie cutter homes all you want, unless you are making above six figures in a relatively safe market, you're not on the same level. No amount of haute urban living in a hip gentrified area with your yuppie hipster friends is going to change that. I live it but I am not that delusional that my friends back home aren't building themselves up because they don't live close to the Coffee Bean and the pizza shop where I get my roasted pumpkin and prosciutto pizza on gluten free crust with vegan Daya cheese. And it's not like you can't do that in other comparable cities with a lower COL.

The issue that none of you have touched is that the reason that puts LA at a disadvantage to the other expensive cities is the major disconnect of WAGES to RENT/HOUSING. That is another documented FACT that has escaped all of you and the main reason why LA is a bit harder for a lot of people spinning their wheels. Seattle is pricey, but not as pricey and wages are leveled out to meet it's COL. That's a big issue that won't be washed away easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I lived in the south as well. Didn't care for the high humidity.

I also didn't care for strangers in casual conversation bringing up religion and politics. I lost count of the times my mouth dropped open by people you barely know or have had your first conversation and they're asking questions "what church do you got to?", or comments on other races or politics.

I was used to LA where you make small talk with strangers, it amazed me how these hot button items would come up in the most casual conversation. You don't know someone well you stick to neutral subjects, I found many people just assumed you shared their views, when you gave them no indication you do.

My favorite one was(and I have posted this before on CD) when a neighbor who I had talked to only a few times tells me she is 7th Day Adventist and how she drove by the Catholic church and it had no "aura", now I'm not even a practicing Catholic, but that's not the point, totally inappropriate.

I used to just shake my head and say "this wouldn't happen in LA".
The fact that someone struck up a conversation with you and were friendly was a factor in your dislike of the South? Really? You actually use that a measure? That and humidity?

Fair enough? But unless you guys are all making 100k, in a stable market, with a less than hour commute, just what can you guys really quantify as a measurable value? I'm not talking about weather, less friendly people, or shops being nearby. I am talking what real measurable things do you guys having going on? Assets, home ownership, land? Business owner? Command over 100k?

If you do, then more power to you, you have every right to mock the heartland because you truly made it. I think HyperionGap has every right since he said he owns property, but what Seain do you have here that you couldn't get elsewhere, possibly for cheaper?

Old 09-03-2015, 12:36 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,567,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The fact that someone struck up a conversation with you and were friendly was a factor in your dislike of the South? Really? You actually use that a measure? That and humidity?

Fair enough? But unless you guys are all making 100k, in a stable market, with a less than hour commute, just what can you guys really quantify as a measurable value? I'm not talking about weather, less friendly people, or shops being nearby. I am talking what real measurable things do you guys having going on? Assets, home ownership, land? Business owner? Command over 100k?

If you do, then more power to you, you have every right to mock the heartland because you truly made it. I think HyperionGap has every right since he said he owns property, but what Seain do you have here that you couldn't get elsewhere, possibly for cheaper?
This post is a complete tear-down. Leave no wall standing.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times
Quote:

I don't call someone who knows your Catholic(whether you practice the religion or not) and puts it down, a friendly conversation. After that conversation I Googled "7th Day Adventist" and how they view Catholicism as not a real religion, knowing someone is that religion is beyond rude to put it down....hardly friendly.

This just didn't happen one time, it happened several times with different people.

I got tired of hearing "I won't go to a Muslim doctor", or their opinion on Obama when I'm in a store.

Look, there are some very nice people there as well. But I prefer a drier climate and people who you don't know well or barely know keeping the conversation off things like religion, politics, and race.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
This post is a complete tear-down. Leave no wall standing.
I was trying to point out that it's about what you personally value more because living in LA requires having values that matter less about money and more about things that you can't put a price on. It's less about practical living and more about getting a piece of the good life no matter the costs. It's abou adapting despite all the flaws, which I find convenient that you guys just start off as though it's a given. All the flaws are a given but the flaws in the heartland like humidity are truly flaws? Too convenient.

Living elsewhere is purely practical and the nice comparable amenities to LA are mostly perks. That was my point.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't call someone who knows your Catholic(whether you practice the religion or not) and puts it down, a friendly conversation. After that conversation I Googled "7th Day Adventist" and how they view Catholicism as not a real religion, knowing someone is that religion is beyond rude to put it down....hardly friendly.

This just didn't happen one time, it happened several times with different people.

I got tired of hearing "I won't go to a Muslim doctor", or their opinion on Obama when I'm in a store.

Look, there are some very nice people there as well. But I prefer a drier climate and people who you don't know well or barely know keeping the conversation off things like religion, politics, and race.
Oh please I had a nice old white lady tell me she moved from Burbank cus there are too many Persians there now. Should I consider that a measure to move further into town to avoid the white flight people in the putter valley? (I work in between Woodland Hills and Calabasas).

I know people are people wherever you go. In LA I've gathered a lot of undercover subtle racism and elitist classism. I couldn't even fathom living in La Jolla where I encountered the worst elitism ever. At least southerners cover their hatred in a poliye veneer

Old 09-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I was trying to point out that it's about what you personally value more because living in LA requires having values that matter less about money and more about things that you can't put a price on. It's less about practical living and more about getting a piece of the good life no matter the costs. It's abou adapting despite all the flaws, which I find convenient that you guys just start off as though it's a given. All the flaws are a given but the flaws in the heartland like humidity are truly flaws? Too convenient.

Living elsewhere is purely practical and the nice comparable amenities to LA are mostly perks. That was my point.

For me(and everyone is different) yes high humidity is a major flaw.

When you can't go out even at night and not sweat(and I'm on the thin side) due to the air being so thick and not cooling down at night. I enjoy walking, and there were several months when even walking at night, left you a sweaty mess. I can walk in LA most of the year.

For me at least that was a deal breaker. I lived in a drier climate(CA and New Mexico in college) I got used to a preferred drier climates.

I have long time friends and family in CA. That's important to me, and even after many years I'm still amazed and appreciate the scenery.

We get one go round in life. At least for me a smaller home in a decent area where I see mountains everyday is more important to me than having a huge house(that I don't need) in a flat humid climate.

Now maybe if I was married and had 3 kids I would feel differently. Look if someone doesn't like LA, fine, but just go already. Unless someone is living somewhere because they have minor children and the ex husband/wife won't agree to shared custody or you're taking care of sick/elderly family member who can't be moved, than go.

You like the other poster gripe about LA all the time. You're single and I think on the young side, so why do you stay? As I said unless someone has family issues there is no reason to.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Oh please I had a nice old white lady tell me she moved from Burbank cus there are too many Persians there now. Should I consider that a measure to move further into town to avoid the white flight people in the putter valley? (I work in between Woodland Hills and Calabasas).

I know people are people wherever you go. In LA I've gathered a lot of undercover subtle racism and elitist classism. I couldn't even fathom living in La Jolla where I encountered the worst elitism ever. At least southerners cover their hatred in a poliye veneer

Yes those "well bless your heart" types who have to tell you what good Christians they are, of course they're only "Christian" to those who are the same race and sexual orientation they are.

Look I can't stand pretentious people either, but more that that I don't want to hear your views on other races. politics, and religions, when I don't even know you. Stick to the weather and neutral subjects.

You can run into racism anywhere, but comparing that I lived in CA four times longer than I did when I was down south, I can honestly say it happened down there way more frequently.

Again, I lost track of the number of times my mouth dropped open when inappropriate things were said.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:03 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,567,678 times
Quote:

Sociologically, South OC and North County SD are disgusting. Examples of casual racism and questionable conversation subject matter abound. But honestly, you'd be extremely hard-pressed to convince any neutral observer they'd find as much of that manifest here than in certain other parts of the county. That is a cultural difference. Its not a massive difference, but it does exist. You know that in your bones. Meanwhile, I do not understand what anybody would go so out of their way to argue the legitimacy of ignorant whining poorly cloaked as constructive criticism.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
For me(and everyone is different) yes high humidity is a major flaw.

When you can't go out even at night and not sweat(and I'm on the thin side) due to the air being so thick and not cooling down at night. I enjoy walking, and there were several months when even walking at night, left you a sweaty mess. I can walk in LA most of the year.

For me at least that was a deal breaker. I lived in a drier climate(CA and New Mexico in college) I got used to a preferred drier climates.

I have long time friends and family in CA. That's important to me, and even after many years I'm still amazed and appreciate the scenery.

We get one go round in life. At least for me a smaller home in a decent area where I see mountains everyday is more important to me than having a huge house(that I don't need) in a flat humid climate.

Now maybe if I was married and had 3 kids I would feel differently. Look if someone doesn't like LA, fine, but just go already. Unless someone is living somewhere because they have minor children and the ex husband/wife won't agree to shared custody or you're taking care of sick/elderly family member who can't be moved, than go.

You like the other poster gripe about LA all the time. You're single and I think on the young side, so why do you stay? As I said unless someone has family issues there is no reason to.
But you see this is my point? I gripe? I gripe because I mention flaws in the supposed perfect city? Is that what it is? I praise LA way more than I dog it, which usually has more to do with city management. I tend act wise as serpent, innocent as a dove when dealing with property owners and salesmen here because they think I'm a rube from Hayseed, KY. Surprisingly I've noticed most are east cost transplants I've dealt with so I don't fault natives. But they start quoting prices and start discussing things that are so off the course in terms of measurable value. But then again I've noticed it's a running thing here in LA. Everything is measured in distorted value because of the influx of people inflating prices and the lack of incentive to keep or retain customers. It's just "fine, go, next person".
My father owns a construction company and I've lived in it for a long time and was taught early to see the value in homes, apartments and the built environment. When the management company raised my rent I took a look around the new apt and saw so many flaws that not even a dingy apartment would do in a low cost area in Houston, but it was apparent because of the type of labor they used, the deadline they were on and the long list of willing customers that they knew would overlook flaws. The leasing agent walked the property with me and I went over all the flaws. He agreed, shrugged and smiled and said it is what it is, this is LA, someone else will snatch this up and take it in a week, you want it or not?

Now maybe I should take this approach to everything in LA and demand more, it might be a better outlook. But I do that at work too.

This isn't to start a fight, man. It's just to say that there is no need to disparage each persons value system because we happen to live in the arguably the best city in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles