Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:48 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just do what the smart ones here do and live very near where you work.
I have my own online business I've been working on the past few months, and going strong. Hypothetically, if I did move to California, I wouldn't have to deal with work traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 05:01 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Everyone is working, this is a good thing. Would you rather there be 10-20% real unemployment? Sure less people on the road, and more people wandering around your neighborhood at night looking into your car.
It's good for business owners because it keeps the cost of labor down due to an oversupply of competition. OTOH, if there were fewer people living here, not only would there be a reduction in traffic, wages for everybody would be higher.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,713 times
It has gotten much worse and I think it has to do with the illegal immigrants getting their drivers licenses. More cars on the road now... Can I just say that they do not know how to drive either. I've had two near misses here in Hawthorne where we live. Scary. They make left turns against red lights. I had a green arrow to turn left and this gal comes thru the intersection poo - pooing along. My mouth dropped. It's only going to get worse.

My husband and I got onto the 405 freeway heading south last night and it was bumper to bumper. Crazy.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:54 PM

368 posts, read 413,109 times
I feel its gotten way worse as well. The idiotic drivers who coast along at 45mph AND use every lane on the freeways while doing so, are also a HUGE reason for the ungodly traffic. Horrible drivers out here.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
Utter death along the 110 south. I can't for the life of me figure out why drivers slam on the breaks as you start to go downhill as the 110 gets very close to the 105. And geez, the dudes going 40 mph, in the fast lane in that area just drive me out of my mind. I don't see how any drivers can be that brain dead. Often this happens with literally no one in front of them for a block or more.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
It has gotten much worse and I think it has to do with the illegal immigrants getting their drivers licenses. More cars on the road now... Can I just say that they do not know how to drive either. I've had two near misses here in Hawthorne where we live. Scary. They make left turns against red lights. I had a green arrow to turn left and this gal comes thru the intersection poo - pooing along. My mouth dropped. It's only going to get worse.

My husband and I got onto the 405 freeway heading south last night and it was bumper to bumper. Crazy.
You might be right. The dmv, and state in general do almost nothing to caution against driving without a license, insurance, and registration and the criminal penalties for doing such are marginal while the financial penalties are so onerous that people can't possibly afford the fines and basically ignore them and keep driving unlicensed and uninsured.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You might be right. The dmv, and state in general do almost nothing to caution against driving without a license, insurance, and registration and the criminal penalties for doing such are marginal while the financial penalties are so onerous that people can't possibly afford the fines and basically ignore them and keep driving unlicensed and uninsured.
Well, what they need to start doing is putting people in jail for 14-21 days, on top of a fine for driving w/o a license, registration and or insurance. It's drastic, yes, but it will shape up people real quick. Either get your car stuff in order, or walk/take public transportation. Driving is a privilege, not a right. You have to pay for that privilege.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Well, what they need to start doing is putting people in jail for 14-21 days, on top of a fine for driving w/o a license, registration and or insurance. It's drastic, yes, but it will shape up people real quick. Either get your car stuff in order, or walk/take public transportation. Driving is a privilege, not a right. You have to pay for that privilege.
I don't disagree with you, but the politics in this state will not allow for that. Current push is no lax enforcement on anything that will put illegal immigrants in jail.

I swear the politics in this city and state are so backwards. Just like when LAPD wouldn't go against Insane Danielle Watts and back up their own officer, even when a recording proving his side existed. The city and LAPD management refused to buck the race narrative that's grabbing politics headlines these days.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:44 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,362 times
It certainly is, even after 6pm. Best times to drive is around 11pm-5am. I noticed an increase of tailgaters over the years.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Improving economy = more workers = more traffic. The traffic was lighter than usual during the Great Recession years.

Changing demographics (more young professionals, fewer families) aren't helping either.

I was in DTLA just the other day. The congestion was unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles