Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,037 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've moved into one of those apartments that has no fridge (dumb) but it's such a nice apartment and a great location. The landlord recommended renting a fridge from a company azuma but they have really bad reviews on yelp so I'm staying clear. I'm having a hard time finding companies with decent reviews that do fridge rentals. So I thought about buying a fridge but then I thought it's going to be such a hassle when it comes to moving or having to sell it if the next apartment has a fridge.

Yesterday, I did order a fridge from Home Depot but the order got cancelled because the delivery date was no longer available. For some strange reason, I took it as a sign to maybe not buy? I just don't know what to do. It just feels like such a hassle. It's a flipping fridge!

Has anyone rented a fridge? What was your experience like? What do you guys recommend?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
If you plan on staying more than a year I'd buy. Well, I'd actually buy no matter what. You can find many cheap fridges brand new from Sears and even cheaper used on Craigslist. I got my last fridge from Sears for like $400 brand new.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I bought a gently used, late model fridge from an estate sale for 100 bucks. AND they delivered it (I bought the two guys lunch for that). That was 7 years ago and she's still chugging away.

I'm pretty che... thrifty.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I bought a gently used, late model fridge from an estate sale for 100 bucks. AND they delivered it (I bought the two guys lunch for that). That was 7 years ago and she's still chugging away.

I'm pretty che... thrifty.
lol I like that.

Also, to the OP, I don't know about in LA, but in other towns I've lived in, in addition to CL ads, etc there were also reuse stores that would sell to the public items that were previously used in houses that had been redone, etc. Worth a google to find something inexpensive. And you can always offer a couple guys a nice tip for moving it for you. Then, if you don't need it in your next place, just sell it and you'll likely get a lot of what you paid for it back. Win-win.

Either way, if you're asking if you should rent or buy, for the most part, renting will often cost more in the long run (if it didn't, rental companies wouldn't be able to make a profit).

Good luck on whichever you decide.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Either way, if you're asking if you should rent or buy, for the most part, renting will often cost more in the long run (if it didn't, rental companies wouldn't be able to make a profit).
Rental fridges are usually pretty scary, anyway. A decent lightly used one from CL is the way to go. People usually aren't selling a refrigerator if they don't have to, which is where bargain buys are made.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Rental fridges are usually pretty scary, anyway.
Are they any scarier than the used fridges that come included with most apartments? I think one place I looked at that didn't include a fridge wanted $30/mo. to rent one. At that price it's sort or no-brainer to buy one if you plan to stay more than a year. Talk about a royal PITA come moving time though. I did see a couple apartments on WSR where the moving tenant was offering to sell their fridge and/or W/D to the next tenant so that might be a convenient way to get rid of the thing if/when the OP moves.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I bought a mini fridge to use temporarily (90 day return policy) whilst I sort out what to do and what brand to go with. I hear Kenmore and GE are good?

Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Kenmores are generally rebranded Whirlpool or Fridgidaire (as is Roper). My kitchen fridge is a Whirlpool and the garage fridge is a F'dair. I have no complaints about either.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Kenmores are generally rebranded Whirlpool or Fridgidaire. My kitchen fridge is a Whirlpool and the garage fridge is a F'dair. I have no complaints about either.
Thanks! I've heard good things about Fridgidaire. I saw them at BestBuy today and they looked very sexy. I've never had a sexy fridge before.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Well, buy it a proper drink and see where things go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: