Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 26,549 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife has found a job in Thousand Oaks while my job is in Santa Monica. We are thinking about moving out to the San Fernando Valley area. Is there any location that would be better for us commute wise? We have considered Sherman Oaks, Woodland Hills, and some areas in between, but we are not sure which would be best considering traffic on the 405 and 101 during rush hour.

A friend of ours has also suggested taking the 27 and 1 from Woodland Hills to SM to avoid the 405. Is there anyone here that has experience with this route?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:57 PM

71 posts, read 372,396 times
I used to do the 1 to the 27 from Santa Monica to Thousand Oaks and back as a pleasure drive long ago but that was not during rush hour and not daily for work so I'm not sure if it's feasible. I do know that the commute from the west SFV down the 405 to the 10 then to Santa Monica is bound to be brutal on a daily basis during rush hour so the scenic route down the canyons and then along the beach might at least offer some consolation for the drive. But then I love to drive.

IMO - and others may disagree - I would tend to want to move my wife and family closer to Thousand Oaks and then make the commute to Sta Monica myself so at least one parent is close by while at work (here I am assuming you have kids, sorry) and also so there both aren't completely stressed out by commuting every day. But that's just me.

This is probably not as helpful as I hoped it would be but that's my two cents.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyourlittledogtoo View Post

IMO - and others may disagree - I would tend to want to move my wife and family closer to Thousand Oaks and then make the commute to Sta Monica myself so at least one parent is close by while at work (here I am assuming you have kids, sorry) and also so there both aren't completely stressed out by commuting every day.
I would strongly suggest this too, if the original poster has kids. TO is a great place for families. However TO to SMO everyday will be bad no matter what route is taken unless the commuter can leave really early, like before 6AM. You can take 101 to Lost Hills/Malibu Canyon or Topanga to PCH OR take 101 to the 405.

If Sherman Oaks, SO to TO won't be bad but SO to SMO will be really rough. (I just looked at Sigalert.com - Personalized Traffic Reports at 7AM LA time and WB 101 from the 101/134 to TO looks fine.)

The other logic: Live closer to SMO and have the wife commute to TO as it is more of a reverse commute.

Start asking other questions like, Who is more likely to move to another job? transfer or quit? Who might be able to telecommute? Someone going to stay home with kids someday?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 38,964 times
Wink Working in Santa Barbara, Thousand Oaks and Burbank area, is feasible living in Santa Monica?

Hi,
we are moving to California.
We'll be working in Santa Barbara, Thousand Oaks and Burbank area.
We are not very practical of the area but we know that traffic is a real issue.
We are considering living in Santa Monica.
Do you think is feasible under a commute point of you?

We have a little baby. Is Santa Monica safe?

We are looking for an area where the main things (like food, grocery etc...) are at walking distance.
What about Santa Monica?

What do you think is an average price for a three bedrooms to rent near downtown?

Hope to hear from you.
We will appreciate any suggestion.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Commuting from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara would be horrible.

Anyhow, there is no easy way to get to Santa Monica from either the San Fernando Valley or the Conejo Valley.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammino View Post
Hi,
we are moving to California.
We'll be working in Santa Barbara, Thousand Oaks and Burbank area.
We are not very practical of the area but we know that traffic is a real issue.
We are considering living in Santa Monica.
If you are indeed working in those three towns then you might consider Camarillo. Safe, family town with ideal weather. On the Metrolink path to Burbank. Close drive to Thousand Oaks. Not a bad drive to Santa Barbara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles