Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 01:31 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times

Advertisements

Usually San Francisco and its surrounding liberal communities that form the Bay Area lead the state and possibly the nation in setting the trend of banning or regulating this and that. I remember back in 2011 San Francisco had proposed a pet sale ban within city limits that bans sales of dogs, cats, birds, and any animal that walks, flies, swims, crawls, or slithers. The ban was originally intended to avoid the support of so called "puppy mills" or "kitty mills" that mass breed such pups or kittens in deplorable conditions. Though the proposal was quickly tabled and not brought back to the council again. However it appears some cities in Socal picked up the trend here San Francisco left off and actually passed a proposed ban on dog sales in pet stores. Up to date non of the cities in the Bay Area had passed such ordinances. Yet about 11 cities in the South part of the state actually passed such an ordinance. I wonder what had caused Socal rather than the Bay Area to become the trend setter for this movement? I am still puzzled by is this a issue of who shouts the loudest and who have the most influence in different regions?
Also based on the list it appears that unlike most movements in the Bay Area which has a liberal bias and supported by more hippy "progressive" minded council members who are mostly democrats and follow a similar agenda. There seem to be no set pattern of what determines type of city council would support this anti cruelty movements as while some cities on the list are pretty hippy "liberal" such as Los Angeles, Laguna Beach, and West Hollywood, there are also some very conservative cities with Republican majority that passed such an ordinance such as Huntington Beach and Carlsbad(though repealed about a month later). I know usually so called "conservatives" put business interests ahead of other factors though I wonder are they also a strong supporter of animal rights particularly if it involves mens best friend? Its true though that some Republicans did defend pet stores who wound be shut down for doing nothing wrong rather than punish those responsible for the "mills." Though I am still puzzled that no city in liberal Bay Area, otherwise known as the cradle for animal rights, is on the list, I mean not even Berkeley.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 02-03-2016 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,920,369 times
Why don't you ask them in the San Francisco forum?

Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,777 times
Paragraphs are your friends.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,244,841 times
Perhaps Because the bay area is comprised of a bunch of liberal poseurs who try to act hip/cool but they really dont care so Their follow thru is nil.
The liberals down here seem to have a better follow thru.
BTW, the anti-puppy mill stuff doesn't seem to work. There are plenty of puppy mills that advertise on craigslist and such.
Make the pet shop illegal and other avenues for selling will be found.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Usually San Francisco and its surrounding liberal communities that form the Bay Area lead the state and possibly the nation in setting the trend of banning or regulating this and that. I remember back in 2011 San Francisco had proposed a pet sale ban within city limits that bans sales of dogs, cats, birds, and any animal that walks, flies, swims, crawls, or slithers. The ban was originally intended to avoid the support of so called "puppy mills" or "kitty mills" that mass breed such pups or kittens in deplorable conditions. Though the proposal was quickly tabled and not brought back to the council again. However it appears some cities in Socal picked up the trend here San Francisco left off and actually passed a proposed ban on dog sales in pet stores. Up to date non of the cities in the Bay Area had passed such ordinances. Yet about 11 cities in the South part of the state actually passed such an ordinance. I wonder what had caused Socal rather than the Bay Area to become the trend setter for this movement? I am still puzzled by is this a issue of who shouts the loudest and who have the most influence in different regions?
Also based on the list it appears that unlike most movements in the Bay Area which has a liberal bias and supported by more hippy "progressive" minded council members who are mostly democrats and follow a similar agenda. There seem to be no set pattern of what determines type of city council would support this anti cruelty movements as while some cities on the list are pretty hippy "liberal" such as Los Angeles, Laguna Beach, and West Hollywood, there are also some very conservative cities with Republican majority that passed such an ordinance such as Huntington Beach and Carlsbad(though repealed about a month later). I know usually so called "conservatives" put business interests ahead of other factors though I wonder are they also a strong supporter of animal rights particularly if it involves mens best friend? Its true though that some Republicans did defend pet stores who wound be shut down for doing nothing wrong rather than punish those responsible for the "mills." Though I am still puzzled that no city in liberal Bay Area, otherwise known as the cradle for animal rights, is on the list, I mean not even Berkeley.
LA has more actual true "granola" white people and banana/oreo/etc PoC than we do here. The advocacy of animal rights is strongest with that "granola" demographic. Also: Up here we have some traditional immigrant communities that actively fight against animal rights. For example, fighting against proposed laws to ban live seafood stock being kept in restos, and / or Halal butcher shops that slaughter on site.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:27 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
LA has more actual true "granola" white people and banana/oreo/etc PoC than we do here. The advocacy of animal rights is strongest with that "granola" demographic. Also: Up here we have some traditional immigrant communities that actively fight against animal rights. For example, fighting against proposed laws to ban live seafood stock being kept in restos, and / or Halal butcher shops that slaughter on site.
Though the Bay Area happens to be the hot spot of banning shark fin soup and banning carryout bags(of all the other plastic film in existence like if only a certain 0.6% use of it kills sea turtles and whales) The Bay Area happens to be more of the pro animal rights in many other regards. I guess pet dogs lives are worth more in Socal than Norcal. LA and Socal has just as large immigrant population of not larger and LA has a traditional Chinatown that kills live animals for sale yet there isn't much of an outcry as how groups demonize San Francisco's Chinatown for doing the same. Though it appears no city in the Bay Area had fallen for this. Though one thing for certain, unlike in SoCal where one will still find quite a number of neighboring cities opting out of a fad legislation trend, in the Bay Area if one the major liberal enclaves sneezes (i.e San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, or even Davis) most of the other cities will catch cold within the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles