Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, brand new on here and soon I'm going to be brand new to CA as well, moving this weekend. I'm wondering if anyone has any first-hand knowledge of where the best places to tend bar in LA are. I'm staying with friends throughout SoCal for a couple weeks and am going to let where I find a cool spot to work, dictate where I end up getting a place. I'm leaning towards moving to OC, but I have friends in LA that tell me Hermosa, Venice, and Hollywood all have goods spots with relatively high tip-earning potential.

I've been tending bar for 8 years and have a pretty strong resume; Vegas experience, owned/operated a bartending school/bar consulting business on the East Coast, Five-Star resorts, etc. I also operate a web-based business so I can live pretty much anywhere.. So if anyone has an first-hand knowledge of any of the OC beach town bar scenes as well, I'd love to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Downtown

Old 02-22-2016, 11:47 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
Dtla

Old 02-23-2016, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 15,226 times
It's the opposite direction of where you seem to be leaning but Gladstone's in Malibu, where Sunset hits PCH, is the busiest restaurant in California, or at least it used to be. I worked there as a server for a summer in College and had a blast and made a ton of money. When I worked there there it was #1 in terms of revenue, I believe. It out grossed the #2 restaurant by 3 times.

In the South Bay and OC, there are tons of places. DTLA has a ton of great now, as well. Might be a little more consistant in LA, the beach bars and restaurants might be more seasonal, although it's usually packed all year.

HOpe this helps.

The other thing to consider about the South Bay is that you're deep, far from the freeways. To go anywhere outside the little bubble is a pain in the ass. I don't think I could ever live in the OC but I know people that love it. DTLA, or Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, etc have more flavor. I lived in Santa Monica for a few years and loved it.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 3,830 times
mefunding2009- Thanks for the in-depth reply!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:05 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
I have only been on the customer side of the bar, but it seems like the best places may be West Hollywood, DTLA, and Santa Monica.

If you're in OC, you'll probably want to be Newport, Costa Mesa, or maybe Huntington Beach. Unless you find a great gig somewhere in OC, there are more options in LA.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:38 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
I agree the nightlife in the Beach cities is more seasonal. I was surprised to see that the caliber of the bar goers in Hermosa during the summer seems to take a dive. Lots of dregs, fights etc... People coming from inland. During the day is fine though. Manhattan beach is an older crowd but keeps it pretty clean however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles