Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:18 PM

234 posts, read 202,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Good news!! I just bought a condo in Santa Clarita.. I'm finally getting out
Congratulations. My cousin works at Boston Scientific in SCV and lives in Glendale and she says her commute isn't bad at all. Not sure what the reverse is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 01:17 PM

601 posts, read 755,415 times
Quote:
Van Nuys is probably equivalent of living in Jersey City 20 years ago. Not really a place you want to live if you can help it. Much of Hollywood is the same way.

Downtown, Koreatown, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz are all better options depending on what type of entertainment you want. All have nightlife of some sort.

Sherman Oaks, Studio City and North Hollywood are all popular ares in the valley that have lot's of bars, restaurants and young singles and couples. North Hollywood does get very sketchy in some areas closer to Panorama City.

Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale are worth looking at depending on lifestyle you want

West side is getting very expensive
Seconding this, also consider SGV if you really want to cut costs.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:38 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseycouple View Post
how is the San Fernando Valley in terms of diversity, entertainment, etc? Does it compare to more vibrant places like West Hollywood? Sorry for the stupid questions. I've never been to LA myself. I only know what I heard from friends that have visited there before.

House hunting in LA is a completely different topic in general.. For now, I'm just worried about moving there in the first place.
SFValley gets better and better as you get closer to Ventura Blvd. Studio City, Sherman Oaks and Encino are the nicest cities. The valley also gets about 15 degrees hotter during the summer. Most people want to live on the "West side" (Santa Monica, Beverly hills, West Hollywood, Pacific Palisades) but if you're budget conscious then you settle for the SFV.

Also take a look at the Conejo Valley (Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Westlake Village). Super nice, new, safe and clean but way off the beaten path. I would only live there if you will be working there.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:13 PM

22 posts, read 26,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
SFValley gets better and better as you get closer to Ventura Blvd. Studio City, Sherman Oaks and Encino are the nicest cities. The valley also gets about 15 degrees hotter during the summer. Most people want to live on the "West side" (Santa Monica, Beverly hills, West Hollywood, Pacific Palisades) but if you're budget conscious then you settle for the SFV.

Also take a look at the Conejo Valley (Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Westlake Village). Super nice, new, safe and clean but way off the beaten path. I would only live there if you will be working there.
Thanks for the tips! We were thinking about living & working in the Calabasas area too but we heard that it's pretty snobby and not so diverse. Since my husband and I are a biracial couple and we are so accustomed to a racially diverse area, I don't think we would feel comfortable in Calabasas. I would also hate to stick my future kids in a public school where they feel they don't belong. I personally grew up in a 80%+ white neighborhood and the racial taunting was not fun! Is that the case there?

Old 04-09-2016, 02:21 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips! We were thinking about living & working in the Calabasas area too but we heard that it's pretty snobby and not so diverse. Since my husband and I are a biracial couple and we are so accustomed to a racially diverse area, I don't think we would feel comfortable in Calabasas. I would also hate to stick my future kids in a public school where they feel they don't belong. I personally grew up in a 80%+ white neighborhood and the racial taunting was not fun! Is that the case there?
Will and Jada Smith live there so it's diverse.. But this comes up a lot and I think it's been decided that LA is not that racist.. I grew up in Boston and racism was much more overt there..

Old 04-09-2016, 02:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
No, really nobody will look twice. People have pretty much seen every possible type of couples and kids in SoCal. Most of SoCal is ethnically, more than racially, diverse (depending on what one calls a "race") but people are very tolerant.
Calabasas is a neighborhood more than a city. But Las Virgenes USD and adjacent Conejo Valley USD and Oak Park USD are top-notch school systems. Check out those areas as poster Big-Bucks suggested. Your kids could hardly do better. The areas are generally affluent and as long as your kids have the nicer accoutrements kids have, they will be fine at school.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Will and Jada Smith live there so it's diverse.. But this comes up a lot and I think it's been decided that LA is not that racist.. I grew up in Boston and racism was much more overt there..
I know LA is not racist, but Calabasas isn't a part of LA. I thought it was technically the suburbs. Also, Will Smith is obviously really famous and rich so it's not really realistic to just assume things from a couple celebrities. It would just make us uncomfortable to be in a neighborhood that's overwhelmingly white.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:34 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
I know LA is not racist, but Calabasas isn't a part of LA. I thought it was technically the suburbs. Also, Will Smith is obviously really famous and rich so it's not really realistic to just assume things from a couple celebrities. It would just make us uncomfortable to be in a neighborhood that's overwhelmingly white.
That's also where the Kardasians live. they love black people.

I actually think Drake lives there too.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
No, really nobody will look twice. People have pretty much seen every possible type of couples and kids in SoCal. Most of SoCal is ethnically, more than racially, diverse (depending on what one calls a "race") but people are very tolerant.
Calabasas is a neighborhood more than a city. But Las Virgenes USD and adjacent Conejo Valley USD and Oak Park USD are top-notch school systems. Check out those areas as poster Big-Bucks suggested. Your kids could hardly do better. The areas are generally affluent and as long as your kids have the nicer accoutrements kids have, they will be fine at school.
Tolerant is the key word here. In the more suburban, secluded areas of the east coast, all races are "tolerated" but they're still given a nasty side eye and a snarky comment. Minorities often get stared at in majority white east coast areas. I've heard a cashier say, "they don't have these back home, do they?" to a poor old Asian lady at the local grocery store once. My mom used to get verbally taunted by immature college kids too. As long as things like that don't happen in Calabasas, I'll give it a go!

Old 04-09-2016, 02:59 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
That's also where the Kardasians live. they love black people.

I actually think Drake lives there too.
And Justin Beiber, the Ozzbornes, NJ native Richie Sambora and dozens of other celebs.. It's a pretty affluent area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles