Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:33 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Your sarcasm is misplaced and contradictory. If you truly believe millennials would prefer single family homes (of which you offer no evidence, just an opinion), cities aren't where the majority of them are found.
Plenty in L.A

So you think a millennial moving to Echo Park would prefer to rent an apartment over living in a house if they had the same choice ? Really ?

Also not all millennials are single without kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,469 times
maybe they meant latino immigrants cause there still a lot of fertile latinos here

Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Millennials Prefer Single-Family Homes Too | Realtor Magazine

Old 05-03-2016, 02:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,683 times
JM dropping truth bombs in this thread.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
JM dropping truth bombs in this thread.
People can't handle the truth.

Dennis Romero of the L.A Weekly has a certain style of writing that is more entertainment over actual news.

Some of his other work here :
Dennis Romero | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly

It doesn't seem like he does much research

Old 05-03-2016, 02:21 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
This feels like a historical milestone, population going over 4 million.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:32 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,163,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Plenty in L.A

So you think a millennial moving to Echo Park would prefer to rent an apartment over living in a house if they had the same choice ? Really ?

Also not all millennials are single without kids
I don't happen to be so arrogant as to think that I know what any random millennial might want. Your scenario is narrowly construed, but I can answer - if I was moving specifically to Echo Park, I would definitely want an apartment as most houses in EP are old and lack the amenities I would probably want. Yet some others may want houses. Some may want apartments. Surveys tend to support urban living preferences. But that's not the point. The majority of single family homes are NOT located in an urban environment. Even those that you think are, in L.A., are still not in the middle of the city and require driving rather than walking to get to essential shopping, dining and entertainment. There's a reason for that. Most single home purchasers are families who want a safe place (away from the roads) to raise children or a quieter environment than an apartment or town house, which, again, points to suburbia.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM

That article is a classic example of making the numbers fit your argument. Allow me to demonstrate:

Quote:
millennial home owners aged 25-34 today are found to be more likely to reside in a single-family home than their predecessors
Great. What does that tell me about their likelihood to reside in purchased apartments, rather than where their predecessors lived? If 10% of millennials bought houses and 90% bought apartments before and now the numbers are 20% and 80%, the statement is still valid but meaningless because 90% and 80% are greater than 10% and 20%.
Quote:
millennial renters are roughly as likely to occupy a single-family home as the preceding generation
Same thing.
Quote:
What's more, 90 percent of 25-34 year-olds who purchased a home recently chose a single-family residence.
Also makes perfect sense but again does not address how many people that represents. 9 out of 10 is 90%, but so what? Buying a house is a much better investment than an apartment anyways - for reasons that have nothing to do with millennials (who are certainly not so dumb as not to see an investment opportunity).

What would make for a more compelling study of millennials' residential preferences would be a comparison of renting apartments vs. buying houses, holding for income levels.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady1234 View Post
I find millennials annoying. My Generation X sh*s on these millennials. Our music was better as well.
I will make sure to never set foot on your lawn, I promise.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:43 PM

So all the apartments in EP are going to be new and have tons of 'amenities' ? I see a lot of run down apartment buildings there too..

L.A isn't the type of city with a centralized downtown though . We have a downtown area (DTLA) , but even though it's urban, walkable, many don't consider that the 'center of the city' .

Pretty much every neighborhood in L.A is going to have apartments and single family homes for the most part.

You could pick pretty much any neighborhood and have the option of a house or apartment and have the option of walking to get to essential shopping, dining and entertainment.

Which parts of L.A are you thinking of where you can't find single family homes about the same distance from amenities as apartment units?.. Besides DTLA which has a population which is a tiny percentage of the total city population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles