Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live Chicago or Los Angeles
to the point 28 80.00%
long answers 8 22.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
A lot of you LA folks are a little too fixated on weather. You seem to think happiness is based on whether or not you have to put a coat on. People live happily in winter climates all over the world - Skandinavia to Asia to New York - and you'll realize quickly if you ever spend time in a winter climate that most enjoy it and don't think much about it. Your blood does adjust if you give it time.

A lot of you folks live in denial about the weather. You seem to think four seasons is a good thing, even if 2-1/2 of those seasons suck.
People are forced to put up with winter climates all over the world - Skandinavia to Asia to New York - and you'll realize quickly if you ever spend time in a winter climate that most hate it and wished they lived in moderate winter climates like Los Angeles where they can sit outside in shorts in February.

Does anybody actually prefer this February

to this February?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Chicago has crappy weather and no ocean. (Great lakes doesn't cut it) Plus it's the only cool city in the midwest, the rest suck.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
Chicago already has palm trees due to global warming. I'm going to winter in Door County, Wisconsin in January.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
L.A.

Chicago is a little too divided and too icy in the winter.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A lot of you folks live in denial about the weather. You seem to think four seasons is a good thing, even if 2-1/2 of those seasons suck.
People are forced to put up with winter climates all over the world - Skandinavia to Asia to New York - and you'll realize quickly if you ever spend time in a winter climate that most hate it and wished they lived in moderate winter climates like Los Angeles where they can sit outside in shorts in February.

Does anybody actually prefer this February

to this February?
Oh... You again. I've already disproven your false beliefs about seasons, kid. I'm enjoying a beautiful fall as we speak. Anyway, I'd choose your first pic with the snow. I get that other pic half the year. Prefer to mix it up - also gives a lot more variety to my wardrobe options. Many people I knew were eagerly counting the days until it was cool enough to bundle up in sweaters.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
I have never worn shorts in years. Personally, I think that if it is warm enough in February to wear shorts, that's a little odd and strange. Is that all that matters to people? Living somewhere where you can wear shorts in February? That's a little bit silly. Yes, it is a proven fact that Chicago gets cold in the winter but having to wear shorts in February because it may get over 80 degrees is also a little bit strange. I understand that many people prefer LA weather over Chicago. There's nothing wrong with that. but I think weather alone is a poor reason to pack up and move somewhere. I don't mind 80 degree weather as long as it is at the right time of the year.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
bottom line is that winter and summer in chicago can be oppresive. in LA proper (minus the west valley), temps generally never leave the 40-100 degree temp range, except for this year where it's been unseasonably cold for the past week or two. we also have very low humidity which adds to the comfort factor. sure seasons are nice, but i'll take a february day in the high 50s in LA over a chicago day in the mid 20s any day of the week (and I could also care less about wearing shorts in feb for that matter).

Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
How come when people compare NYC to LA they talk about the cities themselves, but with Chicago the only thing people bring up is the weather?

It's not like NY and Chicago weather is that different, and people around the world absolutely love NYC (I've heard rumor that it's the concrete jungle where dreams are made of...). Just seems like a copout to me to avoid having to address anything substantive about the cities. Perhaps that's why LA's become such a mess - people are so enamoured with the weather that they let everything else slide.

I've known people who've moved from Chicago to LA and found the SoCal weather lacking compared to its reputation.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'd choose your first pic with the snow.
I guess there's always 2%. I suppose if you're content sitting inside for six months watching TV and you don't have to drive and you don't mind $400 monthly heating bills, it's OK.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I think weather alone is a poor reason to pack up and move somewhere.
Based on the title of the thread "where would rather live" it's not a matter of expensing and hassling the move. But all other things being equal (and that isn't too unreasonable for LA and Chicago), most people would prefer mild weather over horrible weather. Retired people don't move from LA to the midwest for the weather (they do it for other reasons such as cost of living or family).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles